Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Curbspeed Coupe. "Holy Hell" 10/4/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Wow! I just got back from work today and thought I would see what you all had to say about this project. Thanks to all for the high praise. I really don't deserve it. I'm just a loud mouthed opinionated garage grunt with remedial skills. I do have a little vision sometimes. This car has been brewing in my head for a few years now and I have had time to work out that vision. I am really trying to get somewhere on this. Life, like I said in an earlier post, has a tendency to kick us in the balls and keep us from moving forward on our dreams. I can finally get after it now.
    I guess I need to respond to a few of you.

3wLarry--Beech 18--Ok? Any more details on age and what kinda plane was it. I have no frickin' clue. Thanks for the inspiration on your 3 window. That car scarred me for life just so you know.

Rocket 88, Hey longtime NW friend. What's up man? No 3 speed this time. I need a badass 4 speed to slam gears after babying my 37 LaSalle for so many years. I have pent up mechanical agression to unleash.( I should trademark that quote)

Hotrod Ron- Don't want to talk about the house deal here. It's a sore subject. I'll tell you about it another time.

Binga, Ya I know Squeak will be gone to NZ for quite a while. I talked to him right before he went down under. That will give me plenty of time to get the ass end of the coupe straightened out and the body fixed so I can get it bolted down properly.

Rocky, I have been watching your progress on your fiver for a while. I am using a louvered top insert from Walden's and the louvers are already punched.

Evel, Hey Dude! Thanks for chiming in. I love the fit and finish on your coupe. If I can get this sucker even half as close as your car I will have a winner. The PSI hairpins was an Ebay find years ago. My dad got me the matching batwings somewhere and I bought the PSI front spring shackles from Eric at Riley Automotive out of his secret stash that he never lets anyone see or even talks about.

Jimmy, Mr. New York! I really need to catch up with you pal. Give me a call and I'll wish ya a Merry Christmas and other stuff like that. How's your roadster coming along? You need to start a build thread here as well. It will get you amped up to finish it.

Dubzilla, What can I say after that ? High praise indeed. Your comments mean a lot. I didn't even think anything I have done would have made a difference but maybe I'm wrong. Thank You!

I'll check back later tonight. Heading to the Lab to create a monster! Thanks again for all the nice comments. Dale

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I think they made Beech 18's from the mid 30's to the mid 40's. The airlines used them as passenger planes. The military used them as bomber trainers.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Thanks Larry! Quick response. You have reflexes like a cat! I will need to modify the legs for them to work in the car. I plan to have them fully adjustable(on tracks) so the wife can get behind the wheel once in awhile.

4. Are you talking about the 3 window with the Cal-Neva logo on it.It's Mike Hamel's- A fellow Peckerhead from Reno. He just posted a thread on it .You can ask him all the questions you want. In fact, seeing his thread got me off my ass to post this one. I wanna roll with them to Bonneville sometime soon before I am too old to move.

5. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Damn, I really felt like a slacker until I went back and read that you've been "Thinking this one together for 5-6 years". I don't feel so bad now. I just hope I can get some of my stuff looking this good someday.

Great idea on the '34 frame reveal.... really great!

Can't wait to see more of this one.

Kevin

6. I remember that hulk sitting in the corner of the garage waiting for it's turn. How did I miss this post dag nab it ! Glad to see your working on the next dream Curbspeed project ! I was there alot during the RPU build up( in Washington, er watching and getting in the way , and trying to help ) days and many brews and great laughs. Great memories wish I could be there to see this one come together. So is there ever going to be a Kustom in your future ? So when I come visit there some frick'in room in the car . I'll be watching this one... all the best my friend....Throb !!!!

7. Rob, You were never in the way. Your one of my best friends dude. I miss your friendship. When in the hell are you going to buy a 250 dollar plane ticket and come down and hang out for a long weekend. It was in the low 70's today.
    I'm just saying. You should talk a bunch of the fellows into a boys weekend and come down and hang in the sun. We got that here.

Not much to photograph tonight. I welded some more on the back side of the 32 reveal. I wanted to cut out the passenger side tonight but the wife did not want to hear the cutoff wheel blazin' in the garage(It's right next to the living room). Got keep this one happy. She's a keeper! Updates tomorrow.

Attached Files:

8. 2011 for sure ! spend a long weekend and maybe see if anything car show wise may be happening while I'm visiting. Hopefully maybe I can get Shawn free to come as well ( has a new gal these days) may need to get permission first Ha ! So get this built so I have something to drive LOL ! Hell your not going to get things done, taking glamour shots !! HE HE.... keep us posted !!! maybe a KUSTOM next ?

9. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Good stuff, Dale!

I like everything about it so far. I will have to say that I'm having a hard time picturing the orange/white paint scheme, but I have faith in your design-sense.

10. Thanks Brian, Coming from you that's great. The hugger orange paint scheme was influenced by this car that I will post. The white stripe is influenced by the racing team of Sparks And Bonney. Issue number 43 (page 96) of the Rodder's Journal will give the idea I am after. I have no pictures of them but I do have a pic of the 7-11 coupe that just yanks my crank. My chop will be very close to this I hope.

Attached Files:

11. Hey Dale,

Slice me off a piece a of that humble pie your eatin. Dont let this guy fool ya he is an excellent fabricator and definitely thinks outside the box. Looks awsome as usuall Dale!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  12. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Great stuff man, made my day seeing this. My own 34 5 window.s on hold for a while due to being out of action for a while with a busted up right ankle and torn up right foot. Keep the updates coming.

13. Thanks some more. Heading to the shop. Humble pie. Your killing me Fish. What's Gup working on these days? I wanna see your 57 Chev pickup as well.

14. let the cutting wheel fly !!!!

15. couverkid

couverkid

Glad to hear things are goin good for Dale. You must miss this shitty weather we have in the NW. Car is lookin great,you got some neat ideas cant wait to see it done. I like orange!

16. Interesting build - very creative.

17. Ya Steve, I miss the weather so much you'll never know. It will be 74 on Christmas Day here. Ho, Ho, Ho! I am very happy. I worked with the garage door open tonight in jeans and t-shirt.(yes, I am rubbing it in) Got the passenger side cutout and the 32 reveal tacked into place before I ran out of steam. A little bit each night. Here is the proof.

Attached Files:

18. Looks good man!

19. Looking good, Hey Chris ! That 32 reveal looks so much better !

20. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

Damn, that frame is looking great man! I still can't get over those wheels, they are gonna look awesome too. I'm glad we made the ol switcheroo on the roof insert for my hood and hood sides, they both went to great use! Good to see the fire got lit under your ass to get this thing done, its gonna be a good time when we all next get together with a shit load of 34 coupes. Keep at it man!

21. Consider my ass lit! Check with the other guys and see if they have any extra set inner splash aprons that are good enough to chrome. Mine are painters. Maybe over Christmas break you can get my top hood louvered. I would like to pick it up at the GNRS if possible. Did you guys decide to come down for that? Later.

22. M.Edell

M.Edell

23. Rem

Rem

Neato. Can you explain the wheel covers and hubcap combo? The wheels are solids, but aren't they wire wheel caps? Or are they fixed to the spun covers?

I like the frame rail treatment too.

24. Your ass lit ? How did that happen ? let see update photos ! Who needs chrome to go fast ! What are the Peckerheads , Dale ? If they are anything like us up here , your in great company ! LOL

25. Thanks, The wheel covers are indeed intended for early wire wheels. The steel dics are very thick and sturdy. It is a very tight fit into the opening when the cap is attached. It is really hard to get the hubcaps off when they are popped into the opening. I have no doubt they will stay on when driving. If not, I'll have to come up with some sort of aircraft wire tie or maybe a bead of silicone on the backside to help out. Will see.
    Rob, The Peckerheads are my buddies up in the Reno area that let me hang out with them if I'm being good. Which isn't all that often.

26. Rem

Rem

Cool. Thanks.

27. Well, the 3 day holiday weekend that I had planned to get a lot done did not go as well as I had expected. Seemed like family things took up more time than I would have liked. I did manage to get the passenger side 32 reveal roughed into place. This side turned out a little wavier than the drivers side. I wish it was perfect but when your working with 75 + material and piecing together stuff that was never meant to be you get what you get sometimes. Here are a couple pics of the pass. side reveal. I will definetly be using some Rage body filler on the waves and pitting that is left. I still need to get the bottom edge welded up completely once it is turned over in the frame jig. After I get this stuff done I plan to turn my attention getting the rearend located for the front mounts of the ladder bars.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  28. Looks great Dale, love your garage art as well!!

29. Dale, thanks for the update ! keep up the hard work !

30. couverkid

couverkid

I see Dale has washington plates hangin in his garage, I think he is wanting to come back up north.

heavydumper likes this.