Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why are 4 doors bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53vicky, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry T

Larry T

I guess what it all boils down to is that if you find two similar cars in the same conditon, one a 4 door and one a 2 door, for the same money and you buy the 4 door, then you're a 4 door guy.
    Pretty simple.
    Larry T

2. vintage tin

vintage tin

Can you get a thread locked just because you disagree with the answers that are flying back and forth?
    That's kind of like asking for people to only respond if they agree with you.

3. Abomb

Abomb

I really don't get your arguement here. If you think that me building 8 cars and a couple of bikes over the last 15 years, and building up the value of each car, and building my collection of tools, until I had enough money to buy a tri 5 two door hardtop while having a young family and a real job is the easy way, I suggest you try it.

I am trying to pass along the ideas and hard learned lessons to help younger guys get your dream car, whatever it may be. Trust me, I did not pull the money for this last car out of my ass, I earned it by building cars for myself to enjoy for awhile, then sell for a profit, then buy more tools and another car to do it all over again....of course, if your dream car is a four door, you don't need any advice, cause they're cheap, right???

Some of you younger guys seem to think anyone that has a higher dollar car just bought it with his trust fund or something. I am not THAT old, I have been doing this sort of thing on the side since I was 15.

Do what you want, you don't need to justify yourself to me or anyone, and there's no reason to sound so defensive

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  4. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

agreed my friend...

ive bought and sold to get where i am too.. i loved every car, and wouldnt have been upset to keep them, but i was working towards a goal... ive done the same thing as you.. old cars, motorcycles, etc... now have what i want and the parts/tools/house i wanted..

never used a 4 door to get here LOL, but mighta taken a few parts off em! LOL

5. deto

deto

Let's argue about paint colors next. I like black. If you disagree you are not traditional/period correct/cool/talented...

6. lol!

7. Personally I think it comes down to personal taste and your situation. Single, married or married with family etc. I have been involved in several chops and don't get me wrong I love two doors myself but try chopping a 4dr and making it look right is a feat in it self. There is double of everything to chop and reshape especially if you want to have all the windows and the butterflies working. Just my two cents.

8. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Looks like you already got the better 90% of a 2 door.....

9. Personally I think it comes down to personal taste and your situation. Single, married or married with family etc. I have been involved in several chops and don't get me wrong I love two doors myself but try chopping a 4dr and making it look right is a feat in it self. There is double of everything to chop and reshape especially if you want to have all the windows and the butterflies working. Just my two cents.

10. brandoni

brandoni

Perfectly said. I had the choice and chose the 4-door. I actually have 2 4-doors (by choice) and my last race car was a 4-door as well. 4-door, 2-door, 3-door, fuck if its built right I like it

11. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

early 60's Continentals are very cool, I like the suicide door 4 doors better than the two door Continentals. For the most part 2 doors look cooler though, sleeker lines. The extra post tends to interrupt the lines. Same reason hard tops look better than post cars. In my opinion anyway.

12. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

Why not a 900hp 4 door "Rat"...and ruffle everyones feathers.

13. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

Oh yea...

Attached Files:

14. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Coolest 4 Door ever! Robert Williams' Hot Rod Race Phaeton.

Hey, it is what it is. Some four doors look like ass while others are Lincoln four door convertibles with suicide doors. Some lines are better on 2 doors and some are better on four. If you look at two models of the same car, one a two door and one a four door, and settle on the least attractive model because of the price; be honest with yourself.... you settled. If you really think that the model you picked is better, a four door Lincoln is way cooler than a two door, then all is golden.

The Rule is:
    1. Roadster
    2. Three window coupe
    3. Five window coupe
    4. Tudor
    5. Phaeton

But there are exceptions to the rule.

Attached Files:

15. The_Monster

The_Monster

16. Krahnic

Krahnic

It depends on the car. I like the suicide back doors on my 49 Merc. It's a big boat lead sled kinda car, may as well have more doors. If its a keeper, it dont matter what it's "worth"

17. fenderhead

fenderhead
    from Stevens PA

Depends on the car and your situation. I wanted a 41 Willys for most of my life. When I was finally able to look they were and still are way out of my price range. I found a 41 4 door sedan which fit my situation perfectly. With young twin girls at home the extra doors were perfect for me and as we all know the 41 Willys even with too many doors is still an icon.

18. Eight433

Eight433

agreed. Hell, if my car were a SIX door hard top, I may like it even better!

19. el shad

el shad

4 doors are cool. What is cool is dictated by what i think and feel, not what I read on a forum.

20. screwball

screwball

I like cheap and fun so if I can build a car for under 5 grand and cruise I'm in. If the ever present loud mouthed investment two door morons insist on telling me I'm wrong over and over and over. I just am sick and tired of the crap. I started in the car hobby when hot rodding or customizing any car meant you were destroying its investment value (rebel). The good old days when hot rods and custom were built for personal passion not just for the all mighty $$$$$$$$$$$$$ that seams to run more and more of the car hobby.Probably why I do not like going to most car shows and most of the car guys around here think I'm the problem as I dont play well in the investment car sand box. Also where my sign on name came from.

21. darkk

darkk

Sometimes a 4 dr. is the only available model of the car you want. Usually cheaper too. I'd prefer a 2dr, but some model 4 dr's will do. Seen some 4 dr's converted to 2 dr's. Some look good, others look like a$$...

22. Jax2A

Jax2A

Guess I'll weigh in too... Personally I feel there are very few good looking four doors. The manufacturers rarely get the lines to flow right, of course in my opinion. However, I'd never fault anyone else for liking them or building one. I also don't like lowrider cars personally but I can appreciate the skill and work put in to them, same goes for four doors. There are a few four doors I really like though, and I'm working on a 27T touring... which I have to admit is a four door. So yea, build what you like, but in most cases don't expect gushing love from everybody if you choose a four door. I'm sure when I get my T done some street rod loving roadster with A/C snob will look down his nose at it. I'll laugh and move on rather than try to convince them of what I see in it. The only person that has to love a car is the person driving it by choice.

23. fauxsmobile

fauxsmobile

ok fine.so us younger guys shouldnt build what we can get to learn to make our dream cars.all im trying to say is that a 4 door can be made just as cool with a little effort. if someone cant afford the 2 door why look down on them even though they are doing the best with what they have?if you love cars you should be able to appricate the work done to make them into something someone can be proud of.who is anyone to take that away from anyone? so yes your right 4 doors are lame slow and worthless.sorry were keeping the hobby alive.

24. 1320/150

1320/150

^^^^If you like 4 doors so much.Why are you so defensive? I guess I don't understand,I only have a tri five 2 door?

25. I'm glad you were voted spokesman for the rest of the planet. :rolleyes: I have a 4 door '50 Hudson and I personally think they look far better than the same 2 door. The roof flows far better and I'll take the Hudson moredoor any day.

26. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

No it can't. The world's coolest 4-door will never be as cool as the world's coolest 2-door.

27. big bad john

big bad john

........Its does'nt matter......they all look good......

28. el shad

el shad

Never is such a big word for your little key board. try to peak around your blinders once in a while. There is a bigger world out there, and you might be missing it.

I enjoy them all, and appreciate the work put into them.

29. sololobo

sololobo

They are only bad when you make them bad. My brother Doug in Schreveport calls them, "no Waiting", a very nice title for a fact of life. Get right in girls and have a seat, no waiting on the ones gettin in thru the front and more roodm for babes. How can a guy go wrong with that. My fave custom Merc is Austin's El Jefe's black beauty mordoor. Get used to it kids, more will be seen as the tu-doors are gettin gone. ~sololobo~

30. storm king

storm king

Some folks need to look at real old pictures, taken back in the day. Many customs were four doors, lots of race cars were, too.
    Our first season of racing was with my Mom's '59 Dodge D500 four door. (Yes, she knew and approved). We still weren't sure if we were custom guys or racer guys, so it was dropped, pinstriped, and even had a little name in script on th efront fender down low behind the wheelwell, like many customs did back then. After we won our first trophy, we knew we were racers, and in '64 we bought a new factory super stocker.
    Four doors are cool. As always, it's the total package that makes or breaks it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.