Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Ford Tudor Deluxe Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FordDeluxe, Dec 21, 2010.

1. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Hello all, here is my 1940 Ford. I have had this car for just over 2 years now, and this winter I plan on making some changes. Here is a little history on it. This car used to be my Uncle's car and he used to take me all over in it. Before I was 12 he had me polishing the wheels and bumpers, and what ever other small jobs I could do while him and my dad did the real work. ;) Uncle Jerry passed in 96 or so and the car got restored by a car club in Pella Ia. Around 1999 my Aunt brought the car by my parent's house seeing if my dad would be interested in purchasing. He didn't have the money, and there was no way I could come up with it either as I was a senior in high school. Well about 2 years ago I was cruising the local craigslist and saw a 40 ford for sale. I knew it was Uncle Jery's old car. I looked through the ad and thought to myself, dang wish I had the money. Later that night I told my fiance about the car, whom is now my wife, and her response isn't what I was expecting. She told me to call my banker and see if I could get a loan for it. I couldn't belive it. So I called him up and low and behold, I got a loan for it. Since purchasing the car I have only been able to make minor changes to it. But now the time is coming where I want to get it where I think it should have been when it was restored. The way my Uncle always told me he was going to redo it when he had everything. I only have about 6 months left on the loan, and I'm going to do as much to it as I can this winter. Here are some pics of the car right after I got it. I just put the rest of the missing trim on it, tinted the windows, hooked up the alternator that never was, and fixed the original fuel tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mj40's

mj40's

Love them 40's! I have three of them and hope you have as much fun as I have.

3. It sounds like it was meant to be. Good luck with it. Love those '40's.

4. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

I have put 4500 miles on it in the last 2 years, and have tried to repair some suspension things a long the way, but parts need to change. It has a Mustang II front that was installed incorrectly and I'm planning on replacing it. It also has had the center of the transmission cross member removed and I think it has allowed the frame to sag in the middle causing the front sheet metal, and doors to not align correctly. The single stage paint is showing its age now, and the poor car deserves better. Here are my plans:

I want to paint it black with either blue ghost flames, or similar flames to what are on it, just with blue colors. I want to ditch the 350 but haven't decided with what. It seems every hot rod just about has a SBC or BBC in it. I really want to put a 24v cummins in it, but the wife squashed that idea already. I have been thinking about going back ford, but I have to keep this project limited because I don't want to get it torn down and not be able to put it back together before spring. I have a 95 Firebird Formula with an LT1 and I think I'm going to remove everything from this car and put it in my 40. The engine needs rebuilt, but on a tight budget I think this will be the best answer for right now. I want the car to be reliable, get decent mileage, have some power, and drive nice.

I haven't decided what rear axle I will use yet, because I need to do some measuring. I want to be able to put at least 10" of rubber under the car in the rear without hacking the body if possible. The 9" is pretty wide, I could have it narrowed, but if the Firebird axle will fit under it, I might use it to save money. I'm also trying to figure out what rear suspension I want to go with. I'd like to go air bag and a 4-link of some sort and get rid of the rear leaf springs. For the front I'm planning on getting a new Mustang II cross member and doing it correct. I'm also thinking air bags up front as well. If anyone has any input on suspension stuff, or anything else, feel free to give me ideas. Thanks Ryan.

5. Great story and by the way, great (and smart) wife. Forget the 24v Cummins (like she said) and why on Earth do you think you need 10" of rubber on the back? Do your Uncle Jerry proud. Keep the car simple. Fix what needs to be fixed, improve what you can on a budget. Contrary to what some on here may tell you, there's nothing wrong with a SBC that's reliable, easy to work on, and easy to find parts for everywhere. Make a plan, even if it's modest, and stick to it. Good luck. Nothing better than a nice '40 Ford:)....Don.

6. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Because it isn't a grandma car, and I don't want it to look like one either. If I can't get 10" on the ground, I would settle for 8". Anything is better than the tiny rubber on it now. :rolleyes:

7. Okay, Okay, I got ya. I don't think anyone will mistake your '40 for a "grandma's car". If you feel compelled to go big rubber, big motor route I just think it's going to wind up being a full-on tear down with the possibilty of the car being off the road for at least a couple of yrs. (hopefully not). Nothing wrong with that. Do a search for Jerry Moreland's '40 Sedan from a few yrs back. This may be the direction you're looking for. Don't know where the car is today, but when it made it's debut in the 80's it made quite an impact. Good luck whichever way you go....Don.

8. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

It's funny you mention that car. My Uncle loved that car. He had one of the exotic car cards with Jerry Mooreland's 40 on it, shoved in the corner of the windshield on "Sooner" way back when. He always told me he wanted "Sooner" to look like this some day. Now you might ask who is "Sooner". My Uncle Jerry had a good friend, who is still alive today and restoring ford hot rods Gene Cross. This is how the story was told to me. Gene had a 39 Ford Stantard, and Jerry had the 40 Deluxe. They both poked each other over the years about who would get their car done first. Well in, I think 1972, Jerry got his painted and done. So Gene called the car "Sooner", and Gene's car was known as "Later". It is crazy how many people around here still know the car to that name. I'm trying to get license plates that say Sooner as well.

9. Master of None

Master of None

Sounds/looks like you've got a good project on your hands. The only suggestion I would have is to do the frame repairs first. The mustang II kit and fix the sagging frame. It would be a shame to repaint something and have the the paint get chipped because of poor panel alignment. I'd also hold off on the narrowed rear end until you know for sure what size what wheel and tire you are going to use. Besides it works right now, it may not be what you want at the moment, but you can always change it next winter.

10. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Fix the frame first, then worry about body. Who knows, for this year I might just run it in hot rod black. My driver's side door doesn't fit for snot, and I know major work will be needed to get it right. I've seen a few other 38-40's with the same issue mine has, so I'm guessing they come like this from the factory. I have to decide on wheels at some point too before I make a descion on rear axle and such. I'll know more when I actually start the work on the car. It has steelies and baby moons on it right now, they are ok, but not what I'm after.

11. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

good looking 40 do what you want to the car. it's yours

12. Master of None

Master of None

If the baby moons aren't your thing, take them off and run a set of spider caps. It's a semi cheep fix and if you do run hot rod black it will give it a different attitude.

13. sawzall

sawzall

I want to see photos of the frame and how it was modified

14. mj40's

mj40's

In my 40 coupe I started out by using a Maverick 8" Grabber rear end. It is 56.5" from mounting surface to mounting surface. 8" rims fit and cleared the inner fenders. I was using a Chassis Engineering sway bar and it would not clear the tires. So I changed to an 8" Granada rear that was 58”. That was just about right but I'm only running a 8" wide tire also

15. 32fenderless

32fenderless

You know Gene is still around and doing work out of his shop. He has done several 39/40 sedans over the recent years. I dont think there would be anyone around here that would know more about these cars than him, and I am sure he would be more than willing to help you out with any questions you have.

Jason

16. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

COOL!!! Have fun....

17. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Jason, I know he is. But he is always really busy and I hate taking up too much of his time.

18. Your door alignment problem might just be worn hinge pins. The Jerry Moreland approach to building a 40 sedan is bad ass......

[​IMG]

But on this forum, Bob Mc Coy's 40 sedan would probably win in a popularity contest. Either way, good luck with your build!

[​IMG]

19. sololobo

sololobo

McCoys 40 sedan has been one of my fave cars since I was a kid. The beautiful 40 nose is just so right for those multicolor fade flame jobs. Ghost flames seem kinda new age, but it isn't my car, darn it. Good luck with the project pal. ~sololobo~

20. Thanks, Andy, for posting that pic of Moreland's '40. Images of that car are burned into my brain. That car was bad-ass looking and bad-ass fast! Gotta love McCoy's '40 as well. It has probably inspired more '40Sedan builds than we could count. Sure would love to see someone build a re-creation of Moreland's Sedan sometime soon. That thing was a tire fryer.:)....Don.

21. Labold

Labold

A wheel and tire swap would do the car lots of justice in my opinion.
    Otherwise, I say drive the hell out of it. Don't take it so far apart that it will be off the road for years.

22. mj40's

mj40's

Just how fast was Moreland's '40 in it's hay day? Didn't he crash it once?

23. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Man, thanks for the pics guys. I'd really love to tub this car, but I can't do it. The body shell is too nice, and I know how pricey that gets. The way things are going right now, I might repaint it and do the body work it needs to get it by for time being. I don't plan to fix the door gap issue this time around. I just want to pro long the car for another 10 years. I'm pretty sure it isn't the hinge pins as they are tight. If I have time, I'll get it out and take pics of the LH door. There is a lot of little things I want to do to the car that will make a big difference. The interior is done in a purple/blue tweed kind of material. For now I want to remove the stock type front bench and install some buckets and build a custom console. Another big thing is to install sound deadener in it, and start looking for a HVAC set up. Right now it has nothing besides the cowl vent. I'm thinking about going with TT2's chrome or polished. But who knows.

24. Seems like I heard a number once like 9.44et but I think he may have gotten it into the high 8's. Don't know about a crash. Seems like there was a YouTube video at one time showing the car making a pass. Hopefully someone will come up with more pics, perhaps that video, or the whereabouts of the car now.:)...Don.

25. Seen the Moreland 40 make it's first run at Freemont Drags in the '80's, speed was close to 160, he was racing Fat Jack's Orange 46-48 Coupe, Jack rolled his coupe that day.

26. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Thanks for the vid, that is awesome!

27. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

You can search and see a similar video of Fat Jack's '46 also, pretty cool!

28. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Well, due to funds, lack there of, LOL I will be painting my car hot rod black, or black suede until I know the body work can actually get done. I took the car to the body shop and all it did was collect dust. My old boss owes me money and I was going to trade it out in the paint job for my 40. I already know what it is going to cost else where, so I'll just have to do what I have to do. So I went and got it. I want to drive it this thing this spring, summer, and fall, and won't just let the car sit untouched. Here are some wheels I am going to purchase to put on it. What do you guys think? I'm going to try to put 15x6's in the front, and 15x8's in the rear.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15X4...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5643a5b77c

29. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I run a 57/58 ford 9" in the back with 255's. They are around 9" or better wide and they fill the stock wheel well real nice. I have 15x5 in fron and 15 x 8 on the rear. You've got a real nice car there---take care of the x member and get your front end fixed then go nuts with it. Good luck