Register now to get rid of these ads!

use stamp 32 rails or stock A rails?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twenty8tudor, Dec 21, 2010.

1. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

just wondering which way to go on the frame of my sedan project. Is there any reason that I should use 32 rails over the stock A ones? I will probably box either one that I use but didnt know if one was really better then the other besides having the reveal in the side? Just trying to see if its worth the extra money..the stock frame I have is in really good shape except for the front crossmember. This is going to be my first(old) project so when done I am going to drive it alot! :)

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Fully fendered or highboy ???

3. 117harv

117harv

Channel or no channel? 32's look good with even an inch or to of channel, any more and i would say no. It's all a matter of preferance and how much cash you want to spend.

4. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

sorry bout that im not going to run fenders and probably no to very little channel and "planning" on running hood and side sheilds

5. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

nothing looks better than an a on '32 rails imo. i'm putting my '29 tudor on a '32 frame with a small-ish channel (maybe an inch). looks tits if you ask me.

6. If I were in your same situation, I would opt for the '32 frame. I'm sure I would be kicking myself later for not stepping up and doing it. On the other hand, if you plan to channel it 4'', then save yourself some change and just box the A frame. I just like the look much better sitting on a Deuce frame with little or no channel. Just me, it's whatever look YOU like best.

7. im building a 31 on a 32 frame... i love the look of it, but i have come to find out that there are WAY to many highboys out there, and not enough full fendered cars... if i could do it all over again i would run full fenders, but thats just my opinion...:)

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I like em done both ways, I opted to stay with the 28's frame and box it and X member it..I wasnt going to channel mine..and i made my A frame very strong..so I stuck with it..plus I went full fender, and wanted to stay with the aprons and all so there wasnt a point for the 32 frame on my build

9. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

yeah the extra space would be nice im going to run a 289 ford with a c4 or AOD. kinda leaning toward the 32 rails and using the 32 grille shell. anyone know or have any pics?

there are a lot of highboys out there but i havent seen to many pics of 28-29 sedans most are 30-31s. im sure there out there somewhere just have not seen to many pics

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I like A highboys on 32 rails, they just look so sexy. You will have to pinch the rails

If fully fendered i would keep the A rails.

11. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

12. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

13. I like a '30/'31 highboy & fenders on a '28/'29.

I'd shoot for something like this with an inch or two added to the visor, a little bit lower in the front, & I'd seriously consider raising the top 1" or 1.5" over stock.

JH

[​IMG]

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'26-'27 T sedans are already like that. "Raise the Roof" was an expression. It meant "Make noise".

15. No fenders = 32 rails

16. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

No,you don't have to pinch the rails.There were model a on deuce rail hiboys built for 60 years before Magoo started pinching the rails.In my opinion they look more traditional, without pinching the rails.

17. pugh433

pugh433
    from toledo