Register now to get rid of these ads!

last chance for Banger meet December 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Bluto, i checked the Dutch registration website and it's not registrated in Holland anymore.
    Where are you from? maybe i can help you find a car like this in Holland or Belgium.

Hennie

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Thank you for the offer.

We are normally a day away in Poland but as you know that doesn't count due to Germany being a block of ice at the moment :)

3. Well since work got rained out here yesterday for me the 1st time this year and now today also..... I went for a ride in the rain yesterday. This was out in front of my house :eek::eek::eek:. There was a "modern" red Volvo that was sunk in this the day before :rolleyes::rolleyes:. Well thought you guys may get a kick outta this. So here goes, and also remember when you go through water this deep you have no brakes afterward ;). I went up the street and back to the house about a little while later and came in too hot and had no brakes when I hit the water. Yeah you guessed it water in the distributor. It was only a block push to the house :D:D:D. But hey it was worth it sureeee. The look on the kids faces when I came through the first time made my day.-Weeks

[​IMG]

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Weeks

Ziploc bag and tape in the future.....

A few days ago I had the throttle cable freeze in the housing. Yes really as in COLD FREEZE

Had to turn the idle stop screw up and just drove home. :)

5. Weeks
    The good side of this is.... There are only 38 more days and nights of the same.... :eek:
    Ron

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thought all of you might appreciate this.

My good buddy Chris (powerwagonmaniac here on the hamb) and I have been working on a secret Model T speedster project over the last 6 months for his dad, Bill, a his Christmas present this year.

Bill has unfortunately been dealing with heath issues (poor joints and leg problems from years of commercial sand blasting) and major depression over the last year or 2 and, as a result, has not had any interest in the cars at all (a total 180 from his usual manor) which has been hard on all of us.

This year we were very surprised to see him become excited about car season! I made an effort to get all cars (the 1917 Hupmobile, 1919 Model T, 1906 Holsman "Auto-Buggy") ready, repair and tuned for him to start driving again only to discover he can physically no longer drive any of them, even his 1919 T touring...a car he has put more mile on then I can fathom! His poor joints and medications prohibit him from even getting his feet on the pedals or even getting behind the wheel of them...which was a big blow for him.

Because of this, Chris and I are wanting to but together another T for him, something simple and low to the ground that he won't have any trouble getting in or out of and be able to drive comfortably.

Chris and I worked in secrecy for months assembling the T at my house (so Bill wouldn't see it), trying to make our Christmas deadline. Sadly, Bill passed away in October...never seeing his new T speedster or even knowing of it's existence. We are now finishing it as planned in his honor.

Here is the direct link to my thread for the car with photos and a video or two.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486634&highlight=mrmodelt

Enjoy!

7. kirby1374

kirby1374

This is an A motor with an A cover. I bought a timing kit. I marked TDC on the pulley at 0 on the timing indicator. Then I set the dizzy cam till I had 17* advance by the timing light.

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Very sorry to hear of his passing, especially before he learned of this project. It's a great car, and I'm sure he's really happy about it somewhere.

Thanks for sharing that.

-Dave

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks Dave. Bill was a very special guy, a great dad and a wonderful mentor. We all miss him dearly.

Firing the motor this past Saturday was a huge milestone for the project (Chris and I could not help but get a bit choked up when she fired off for the first time) and we hope to add to that with a "victory lap" around the shop soon. :D

10. http://www.fordgarage.com/ This is where you want to go to find answers about the difference between "A"'s and "B"'s Vince Falter has done quite a bit of research. You can scroll through the subjects and find things such as total theoretical advance, actual test of a "B" distributor on a machine. If you don't like to read there are a lot of pictures!

11. I give up! 17 degrees at what RPM?

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im confused . my "A" has an "A" cover with the degree plate , at full advance i have 35* (btdc) & at full retard i have 5*(atdc) . how else do you do it ?? ... steve

13. kirby1374

kirby1374

I don't really know 500rpm? At idle. I don't have a tach on it. It runs good, It gives about 30-35 BTDC over 1000rpm (estimation). So I'll just run it.

14. Thats fine if it doesn't ping or knock when you put your foot in it. A lot of people say no more than 25 to 27 degrees total on flathead but I was told the faster it turns the more advance you can use. If it is too far advanced it will be hard on the bearings.

15. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Merry Christmas fellow members. While on the subject of distributors, can anyone tell me what the advance of a Mallory Dizzy, model YL11 for a Model A. The engine (1928 A with orig. timing plate B carb.) seems to run hot not boiling but the exhaust manifold glows red. Any advice will be appreciated.

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If that is one of the adjustable ones It could have anything in it

They sold spring kits too

I think I am with Bill on this... it hurts my head and I'm far away from you all......:D

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

exhaust manifold glows red.
    possible a retarded problem . if to far retarded it will work the heck out of the motor . recheck carefully . if you do not have a timing plate & inductive timing lite , i would buy / borrow the stuff . then recheck timing @ 1000/1200 rpm ................. steve

18. Probably 18 to 22 degrees stock. I'm guessing but thought you would like to hear something. Most were shippeds that way. I picked up one a while back that was for an industrial engine that can be adjusted to 40 degrees or anyway it is so marked.

19. RussTee

RussTee

merry xmass everyone its a scorching hot day down here in the south seas great day for a bit of top down driveing to the beach have a good one everybody now wheres that beer

20. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Thanks for the information guys, I'll give it a try when we get a nice day. The Mallory is not adjustable. I set it up the same as u would set up a stock A dizzy. TDC with the timing pin, rotor to plug #1 rotate CW until points just open. I can see where there is not enough advance. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

22. Mallory made a tool to adjust the amount of advance on some distributors, notably the 25 series came with a tool or timing key graduated in the number of degrees advance. This key or tool is still available. You search! Mallory makes an electronic conversion kit for some of the older distributors one is Mallory part # 61008

23. BLUTO,

Wesolych swiat i szczsliwego nowego roku. (I hope)

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Thank you Bill

All the best to you and yours!

AND really to all the banger guys here,

25. 21stud

21stud
    from California

You should get something to check the RPM on your engine while you are doing your ignition settings. I think that would help out.

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Here is a year end Dodge Bros. picture. Just to keep all you Ford guys somewhat aware that you are not alone. I'm trying to get the front of the motor sorted out and then the pan can be fitted. A holder tor the rear seal and I have to start thinking about how to mount it in the car.

Attached Files:

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  28. 562roadster

562roadster

I'll join in, finally. I picked up a '28 rpu last year, basket case. And now i'm putting the finishing touches for GNRS, suede palace. It's my first banger motor. I'll be sure to ask plenty of questions here.

DSC00042.jpg

29. Bluto; I have been thinking about the Balilla coupe over the holiday and was wondering if an Alfa engine would fit. Any thoughts on this?
    Ron