Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 63 falcon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63FalconFutura, Mar 22, 2010.

1. 69fury

69fury

ahh, i guess i misunderstood- are they building it too- or you're just taking it there to break in and tune it on their pump?

2. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

3. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

old engine and trans out today

4. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

Drop Axle is going in

5. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

what kinda gasser has a dropped axel
    love john
    :confused:

6. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

This volvo amazon
    amazongasser.jpg

Dyno set for Dec 27

7. 69fury

69fury

My gasser has an axle with a factory 4 inch drop in it- that's what the original builder put in it-65 Chevy G10 Cabover Van. I love the look of them, especially drilled, but to be honest-in a Falcon Gasser i'd rather have the straight tube axle from Speedway (or other supplier).

Budget being what it is, i'll keep what i got for now- it does seem odd having a lifted setup using an axle with a drop, but it's what we got.

I'd gladly swap it for a tube set up -but doubt anyone would wanna trade from drum to drum even up. Otherwise i'll either save up and buy a whole kit later, OR (more likely) just make my own tube that uses my current spindles/steering arms/brakes.

when you gonna dyno the wee-beastie?

rick

8. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

dec 27

im in the same boat i got my drop axle set up complete at a swap meet for 240 dollars with the steering box, there is no other way i would be able to afford a new speedway set up with everything in it so i am just doing what i can afford at $8.30/hour

9. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

falcon motor.jpg

All ready for the Dyno tmrw!

10. Better getchu a water pump first.
    (The old style without the steel plate)

11. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

They have an electric one at the dyno

12. 69fury

69fury

Electric is a good idea for a small inch mill that's gonna rev- Are you putting one in your Falcon, or gonna add a little 8,000rpm waterdyno of your own to the car, lol...

I used to want one, but could never afford it, now i'm glad for the reliability and simplicity of my mech unit. I only turn 6,100rpm and have an A/C version with a better blade on it, so there's not a ton of parasitic loss compared to the benefit of better cooling.

Good luck on the dyno session! Post them sheets!

-rick

13. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

14. jgochneaur

jgochneaur

Falcons are cool looks like you are off to a good start

Attached Files:

15. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

Stay tuned for results engine got broken in today going back tmrw
    runs fine idles at 1100

16. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Good deal, glad to hear its up and running...so hows it sound???

Jon

17. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

bad ass, very angry

18. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Big cams need compression. I have this same setup sitting on a shelf in my garage (dual quad tunnel ram) for almost the same car (63 Falcon sprint)

Its still sitting on the shelf because all the trouble it would be just isnt worth it especially since I know I can run that SBF hard on a single 4 barrel and make good power with manners. And I couldnt stomach cutting a hole in the hood of a car thats been in my family since it was new.

Rob

19. 69fury

69fury

Can ya beg, borrow, or bum a vid camera for the dyno pulls? love to Hear it/see it. (plus it's a good diagnostic tool)

How was it broke in? Cam Break in only, or did you put some time on the rings, too?

Did you/Will you put the spurs to it to get the rings in nice and tight? I'm a HUGE believer in this method. VERY controversial, but my own personal experiences support this article. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

rick

20. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

How did the dyno treat you?

21. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

357 hp 300ft/lbs need to fix printer to upload dyno sheet... need to get video and what not off of my brother camera idles at 1100ish doesnt bog it ran pretty good, not quite the 400 i was looking for but it is pretty much the stock bottom end so i am happy with the results

22. 69fury

69fury

Until you get the printer fixed, can you give us some of the hp/tq figures at 500rpm intervals?

at least let us know what rpms your peaks were, and what was highest rpm seen. I'm also curious to know what rpm the hp started to fall off was..

357hp is pretty damned respectable for a low compression, small inch mill with the induction you listed.

rick

23. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

12-30-2010 10;10;23 PM.jpg

dyno sheet peak numbers circled

24. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Good job on the build so far.I too love the round body falcons.Mine is going a diffrent way than yours,but still cool to see a "yungun" working on a car of any kind.Good job on being nice to all the yackers too!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  25. Nice numbers from a 260!

26. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Does anyone one who has been helping you have a set of smaller carbs to try out? It'd be interesting to see any differences. Not bad numbers from a 4.3litre engine, though. Put the Falcon on a diet and it should move along nicely.

27. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

not sure if anyone has any smaller carbs i can borrow...
    I would like to thank Bryce Mulvey, Jay Cotton, and "Poppy" at Dr.J's performance(http://www.j-performance.com/) for helping me with my engine build, i also want to thank Steve Brule at Westech (http://www.westechperformance.com/main.php) for all the help setting up the carbs.

28. What were your air / fuel numbers??

29. rebstew187

rebstew187

That's more than respectfull from a 260 mill.

30. 69fury

69fury

they didn't give you a standard sheet with all your measured specs? BSAC, VE%, I dont see a baro - really curious about why they're showing that your carbs are restricting you (any neg pressure and it's full range, so maybe calibration is off). No mechanical efficiency detail?

what were the baro specs for the day- hard to tell alot with the rest of the specs but it's a good start.

Haven't seen peak torque that close to 6grand in a long time. cute little bugger- drop some 4.56/4.88 gears in her on 28s and pull the trigger - FUN

good job on your first build!

rick