Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What did YOU pay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billytschopshop, Jun 27, 2010.

1. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I've got a buddy like that. "I would have bought it but I didn't like the wheels, color, it sits up too high/low. etc". But the one I like the best is "I would have bought it if it was for sale.

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

So, if the question was rude, what does it mean if we answer the question?

Years ago I bought a 70 Road Runner cheap. I kept track of every penny I spent on it until it was road worthy. Built on the cheap, after I added up all the numbers, I was shocked! I would have never believed I spent over $200 (1980 $$) at the local hardware store for just nuts and bolts. Since then, I really don't keep track of everything, mostly just the big ticket items, which are about 1/2 the final cost, according to the results from the Road Runner.

All that said, I bought my 48 Plymouth coupe with the idea of throwing it on a Dakota frame early this year for $200 (scrap price, and that is what it was worth, real rough). I already owned the Dakota pickup that is donating nearly everything for the 48. I paid $100 for the Dakota, purchased about 5 years ago as a parts truck, but ended up driving the truck for a couple years. I have scrapped most of the stuff from the 48 and the Dakota I won't be needing for about $350. I will need to rebuild the suspension, brakes, run new fuel & brake lines and buy a few other parts for the truck chassis, which will be stock style replacement parts. I'll probably have more in getting it titled then I'll have in the car. It won't be anything fancy, just something for the wife and I to cruise around in.
    At this point, I likely have a couple thousand hours in this car, and many more to go, but not many dollars. If I have $500 in everything I've spent to this point, not subtracting the scrap money, it would really surprise me. I already have the equipment to do the work, and I have the ability to do everything that will need to be done on this project myself.

Figuring an actual cost is sometimes tricky. Then, if you use the car for a couple years and enjoy it, where are you as far as cost is concerned, do you add in the upkeep? License fees? Fuel costs? Insurance? Gene

3. do you mean what I actually have in it? or what I told the wife I have in it ? or what I tell the guy that is intersted in buying it-what I have in it ? why do you ask ?...

4. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A lot. I do keep track and only my insurance company knows. They charged me a surcharge for the red wheels.

6. clinthull

clinthull

I paid 200 for it. I probably should have waited and got a nicer starting point but it was going to the crusher the next day and i just couldnt let it happen. Its been a lot of work and money but what the hell we build these cars cause we love to do it.

Attached Files:

7. kein

kein

Actually....I don't think it is a rude question especially on this forum. I am here to learn and keep up with pricing so I don't get ripped off when I try to buy something I hunt down. I am really getting into the trad rods and thanks to you guys, I am getting a feel for fair prices for cars and parts. Me...I paid $600 for my Buick and put about 5K into in over a 2 year period as a project. Not a show queen, but a nice driver that is a permanent project for me.

8. The trick is in being a wheeler-dealer. I met a guy who's wife wanted him to clean out a driveway he had a couple of project cars stored on a few years ago. '50 Chevy fastback and a '65 Impala SS with no motor. Bought both, sold the '65 in 10 days and ended up ahead by $450.

Or the O/T Suburban I bought with a dead transmission for $200 - I bought another one for the trans for $300, parted it out, filled it with junk, and scrapped it for $425 - leaving me with $75 invested in the good one, plus a pile of spare parts including a tilt column, a complete exhaust, a new radiator, and a ton of other stuff. AND I swapped out the doors, fenders, hood, and lower quarters to the beater Suburban I was driving at the time, because they were in a lot better shape.

But when it comes to outright buying cars, in the last 10 years, I've paid anywhere from $100 to $600. A lot of times I buy for scrap price.

9. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have two complete cars and one project. Plus many vintage parts and stuff. If I sold everything I cold probably make a small profit. Maybe 20%
    I keep a journal with approximate Values so If something happens to my old self my family will know and be able to protect themselves from opportunists

10. okay lets see.... the cars the parts and how I got em.
    1950 dodge coronet - free
    1988 merc marquis - free
    donated its seats
    1975 jag xjs - free (sorta was a parts car came with my daily driver.. didn't need any parts for the other jag.)
    for a shifter and some other doodads
    dakota front clip - $250
    cordoba spool mount motor mounts - $45
    72 box on wheels for 413, 727 and a shifter - $500
    minus what I got for aluminum -$180
    total cost for motor home - $320
    engine machine work and parts - $1500 ($500 of that was for CAST!! pistons.. yikes!)
    non industrial cyl heads, water pump housing, and manifolds - $100
    new wire harness - $150
    grand total of ------- $2365... so far.. and yes i will take a free car for just one part that I may need.. ya never know.. trying to get a 50's caddy right now for free..

11. progect 2
    1955 chevy bread truck - $200 ebay score
    rebuilt carb - $20
    rebuilt water pump $30
    cleaned fuel tank - $50 (lotta acetone)
    core 454 $300
    v8 bellhousing - Free
    a bunch of stupid nickle and dime crap - $100
    grand total - $700....

12. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

OK, after my son's girlfriend backed her Honda into my truck's rear fender tonight, add another $400 or so. ARGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

13. best way to make money with cars is get someone else to pay you to work on their car... I've owned over 30 cars.. ive made money on 4...

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

that car is so awesome!!!!!!!

15. Phatwagons

Phatwagons
    from Georgia

66 Belvedere Wagon cost a trailer bearing repair. 66 Belvedere Wagon junkyard parts car - free. Stuff like honing and rebuilding wheel cylinders instead of buying rebuilt units, cutting patch panels out of the parts car and using leftover multi-pattern Chevy rally wheels got it back on the road. Basecoat/clearcoat paint with flames and a freshened-up 318 brought me to just under $2,000.

16. bill3337

bill3337

$2500 so far.......that's my story and I'm sticking with it! :)

Attached Files:

17. a40lover

a40lover

People always ask how much I have in my 40 andhow much is it worth but I havent kept track and dont really care! This is my hobby and I only spend what I can afford.

18. zombie54

zombie54

Thats how i roll too. Ive spent too much and not enough! Im well into the thousands dont really keep track thats not my best quality. its only money and you cant take it with you when you take a dirt nap so what the hell.
    When im finished I wiill just spend more on something else but it is a good investment because i have fun doing it.

19. Convert54

Convert54
    from Oklahoma

Well, this is gonna get ya sick.
    My 54 Convert, I paid $500 bucks for to Willie Durham out of Checota and the price included a second parts car belair 2door.

This was in 1982 and the car still had a high school parking sticker on it from my old school.

I am on the third build of the vert................

20. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Traded X-MAN Comic Book #1 for a '62 Falcon Tudor Coupe and $200.oo

21. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Everything I buy is under a grand.... Yea man Im a cheap ass

22. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

I have maybe 825 or so in my 68 caddy.
    550 purchase price
    97 towing it to my place
    65 for tires to make it a roller
    roughly 100 for misc parts and fluids and tools.
    I can get it running for maybe another 60 or so, need to rebuild the carb.
    But to make it a driver I need to replace some more stuff. Will have a driver for less than 1500.
    To do it right and fix the paint and interior, maybe 4500 total or less.

23. Paid $50 for my cowl and 2 doors and I have about $5000 in it right now which includes a rebuilt motor, tranny and rear end. Had about $2300 in it when I 1st started driving it.

24. Mac_55

Mac_55

Way to much with about 5k to go .....

25. Larry T

Larry T

As I get older I notice that the more I pay for a project, the less I have to spend finishing it. Or at least trying to finish it.
    Larry T