Register now to get rid of these ads!

MEXICAN JUNK,what i found.... pix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sled, May 17, 2007.

1. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

My First Chev V8 was a '56 belair with a 265. One of the really early ones with fragile pistons. When I bought it ,it was almost new...compared to my newest car today which is 30 years old....;)
    Anyway... the 265 is a nice revvy little motor which lives in the shadow of it's bigger younger brothers .
    A power pack 265 with four BBl and duntov cam makes a nice cruiser.

2. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Been OK,working like a .... for a while now keeping ahead of the bills .
    Too many projects,too little time :p:p
    This is ol'mateys website,the guy whose going to build the Pan Am car .
    http://www.sleepingbeauties.com.au/contactus.html
    Also my next door neighbor..;)

3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Mine had a 265 also, with a cast iron pg, routinely took 1st gear up to 70-80 mph,,. maybe thats why I had to have the clutches redone every few months,,
    I was only 17 at the time,,

4. sled

sled

Thanks for the link mate...very interesting stuff going on there,no doubt..Your neighbour is a perfectionist for sure.Nice to see the unusual cars popping up from the most disparate places..always a learning process,love it.
    And the owner of the PanAm Merz is an aussie too???He will have some serious fun driving that thing here,you bet...keep it up, mate!

5. sled

sled

I always tought these 265" engines were kinda sleepers,or never been fully appreciated them proabably for theier mild performarce...now with some correct speed parts its another story but still never had much of a recognition ,or seems like....in those years there were some better choices for sure performance speakin....

6. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I would rev the guts out of mine ,I was only 17 too :D racing all over the place., There wasn't too much around in those days that could keep up with it. I had the bolt action manual box . Eventually a top came off a piston ,which was common on the first 265's . i left the car on the side of the road to go to a phone to get a tow. A helpful type pulled up and asked my mates what the problem was,and insisted they start the fucking car to see what was what. The dikhed revved it up and the remains of the piston came apart and the rod shattered the block . It could have been fixed it if he had left well alone.
    A while later we had a new 1972 HQ ute with a 202 ... these were blessed with the same problem but by this time everyone knew that when the piston broke,you stopped it and didn't rev it up making smoke clouds for the fun of it. :D

7. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I sold my 56 for 200$ back in 1971,
    the buyer replaced the iron pg with a turbo 350 trans, sheesh, why didnt i think of that,,
    it was white/teal, with black tuck-n-roll, had a 4 track stereo..
    I miss it, might still be runnin around Westminster Ca..

8. Garrigos

Garrigos
    from Mexico

I dont know much, but I will send some pics.. of some of the cars that are in the same situation as the camaro, will be nice. before they get expensive lots of people now are buying classic and old cars to fix them and used them locally. yesterday I saw a Coronet will send some pics.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  9. Magnus B

Magnus B

Message from Sled:
    Things go in full circle sometimes...i've been to this place couple years ago trying to buy some stuff but the owner at that time was simply too expensive and no way to get somethin done...now,after some years one of my guys told me that the same guy dropped dramatically prices and is cleaning out so i made an apoinment with him and finally for the first time i spend a good half day with the guy relaxed talkin cars and life...so it was a good day.Then we went to this same place and i realized that nothin changed...almost everything is still sittin as i was perfectly remembering ...so i took a new tour and shot some new pix for the fun of it...refreshing.
    I knew the white 39 Merc coupe ,still a solid car to rebuild..and the 59 Camino cramped into other cars and trees....i did'nt reckon at all the 356 Porsche shell ,guy said he just sold it...there are probably 50/60 cars in this property....mostly are not worth it but i would like to rescue some of em,have'nt talked on prices yet...more shots coming indeed.

Attached Files:

10. sled

sled

Just saw this last sunday another fully restored 59 El Camino at a local car show...still want to customize one for myself...hurts to see this one sitting and die...

11. sled

sled

Well,just send me some pics of what you can find in your area...i dont go very often in your town but i know there is good stuff hidden there...but as usual you cant cover them all...;)

12. JoRodder

JoRodder
    from Belgium

When I see this topic, I realize me that I live in the wrong country.
    I love this kind of car

Greetz from Belgium

13. sled

sled

Hi Jorodder,welcome to the Hamb family and glad you like the junk here...
    Well,being in 2010 there are not many places left on earth where we can find such cool iron still around...i will be pushin as far i can go,no doubt...havin so much fun here fellas...stay tuned

14. oz40

oz40

Hi bro,
    Hmmmmmm, how do I miss it.
    Give me more tequila:)
    Felice Navidad....

15. That's the third 39/40 Merc coupe found on a junkyard here on the HAMB in one month.
    Great place

16. sled

sled

Hey mate,how things going down under??
    Feliz Navidad to you and family too...stay cool,my man..
    tequila is always ready here,as you know...

17. sled

sled

Dutch..i do know more of these 39/40 Mercs here around in Mexico...always trying to save em...they are rare here too

18. They are ever rarer in Europe, in Holland i think i have the only one, in Belgium i also know only one, for the rest i don't know, but i will not be much.
    I always like your posts and amaze what's still around, in Europe it's almost impossible to run a yard and keep cars more than let's say 2 or 3 years outside without braking envirements laws.

19. sled

sled

Yeah,i know in Europe there are only a few of them around...i have a 40 coupe myself,im the 2nd owner and car is in very solid conds..still waitin to build up a full kustom out of it..yeah,i know ..time is never enuff but this will be a keeper.

As far i know with my eyes i counted at list 5/6 coupes and another 4/5 4 doors...mostly 40s..just 1 39.

That's the reason i live in Mexico..the thrill hunt makes me alive and happy here and besides of the news i go all over Mexico without any hassles scarfin vintage tin...lot of fun.I cant get enuff....

20. Pacorro

Pacorro

Oz40 Hello, happy new year and we miss you here, and I have a lot of tequila when you return, and of course, to sled too, as friends of Hamber, I wish you a year 2011 full advennturous.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  21. sled

sled

Happy new year to all the Hamb family ...currently travellin around Mexico and scarfin out more cool junk....back to you soon,all the best to the whole Hamb gang...sled

22. nova74

nova74

Hi Sled
    I'm from mexico city and I have not seen so many cars, is that if you've searched a lot, waiting to see what else you find, good luck in seeking, a Greeting

23. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

this thread is amazing!
    thank you sled for saving these cars

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

If you're planning on going to Mexico, yourself, to search for cars....i would advise you not to. Not only coming from myself but several other sources...Mexico is not the place for an American to be wandering around right now. It is extremely dangerous and it is very hard for an American to travel throughout Mexico by road right now. You will be stopped, robbed for every last cent you have on you and then you will get the crap beaten out of you (or worse) and you will be left roadside to continue on your journey until you are stopped again. If you are planning to go to a single mexican destination (like resort towns and vacation spots) then that is a different story. If you're planning on road tripping across mexico....NOT a good idea. Unless you have a good friend who is mexican to travel with or unless you are of mexican descent; you will stand out like a sore thumb and you will be a target.

As for getting things across the border...its going to continue to get more and more difficult with the issues of drugs and illegals becoming more of a big problem. If you have a formal/professional bill of sale signed with you and all the proper paperwork i dont see it being that much of problem but yes; be prepared for the mexican border patrol and such to rob you of your cash to get it to the US side.

25. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

GREAT FINDS SLED! its amazing how many of them are dusty and sitting all tucked away in a garage...preserved perfectly.

26. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I lived in Mexico City........I disagree with this. Like anywhere else... Traveling in another country requires common sense

27. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

True, but CURRENTLY and most recently in mexico it is not a safe place to be. i've had friends and family who have travelled to/stayed in mexico for prolonged periods of time for who are very very smart travellers and who travel frequently both for school and leisure and work. they have recently travelled to mexico were robbed and beaten. not once, but twice. travel wisely people.

With the drug gangs and the drug problems and illegal alien problems between the U.S. and Mexico right now; tensions are high.

28. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Just got back from my house in mexico last night, still safe south of Arizona. Drove to Central America Last year, Mexico was fine but El Salvador was sketchy. Mexico is relatively safe as long as your not a competing drug lord or the Policia. I find old cars all the time but being this close to the border they want an arm and a leg. No problem getting stuff out of Mex, they dont check you going out. Its the US that you have to get by.

29. sled

sled

Nova74,welcome to the Hamb family....you'll find tons of useful infos and stuff in here,have fun and do a proper intro too...
    I already PMd (private messaged) you so you can be in touch with me anytime...
    Ah,you have to bust your ass to find the right stuff...there is not much left in the streets anymore as we know...but according to my experience in DF (Mexico City aka Distrito Federal) is filled up with stuff...but its hidden away,so you have to work hard to find it...as we speak i do have tons more pics to post,be patient and you'll see it....thanks for the good luck,always needed..

30. sled

sled

Kzeliminator...welcome anytime and glad you liked the show..im havin great fun livin the dream,really....