Register now to get rid of these ads!

last chance for Banger meet December 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Dec 1, 2010.

1. I remember years ago a local guy splitting the manifold on his "A" and it sounded like a John Deere tractor. Kinda like p pop p pop p pop. The "B" distributor would be the better choice if it is in good condition. I'm running a bone stock "B" on my Winfield flathead. FS ignitions will rework the "B" mechanical advance and install an electronic setup all of this for a price. The reason for the headers is to better control the exhaust flow and pairing 1 4 and 2 3 gives better extraction over a given RPM range. I have headers and 18" glasspacks with 2" tubing all the way back and it raps quite a bit. I'm considering a balance tube but it will probably be too far back to help quiet down the rap. You should try to find someone with as "B" cover and compare. "B" times static at 19 degree advance "A" times at TDC. I have an "A" cover on my engine and started at 5 degrees BTDC and it has 20 degrees in at 1100 but doesn't or hasn't kicked back yet. I did screw with the advance springs some so I guess it isn't a bone stock "B" distributor after all. 82 MPH in the 1/4 ain't bad though for a shade tree job. Not everything C Yapp does makes sense. Early racers found that pairing 1 4 and 2 3 helped with extraction and increased horsepower in a given RPM range. Just smoothing out the exhaust flow would give a little help. I read a lot of Mr. Yapp's stuff and see photos of Yapp equipped engines but the only performance information I see is from dyno tests. Kinda like a "Dial 1 800 Hot Rod" IMO

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. RussTee

RussTee

I have been told that there is a very slight difference between a B cam gear and a A I have not been able to confirm this but did make sure I got a bronze B cam gear when I replaced mine years ago most repro stuff is i think A which will run maybe someone will know ?

3. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

I haven't seen too many of these up here, but they're super nice. I actually think I saw one for sale quite recently, but it might have been in Sweden though.

Are you saying they're plentiful farther south(east)? If so, roughly how many €'s would one need to cough up for one?

4. modeleh

modeleh

Thanks for the help fellas.

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Hansa

I don't think they built many Faux Cabrolet coupes. But Ballilas generally were made in large numbers

Most of my wife's cars are Simca 8. Or one-off special bodied Fiats and NSU

There are always projects around at 2-3000 euros ..... Roadsters fetch much more money. In the last months I have seen Mille Miglia coupes at over 100,000 euros.

The little coupe we got was really stupid cheap specially considering the original 27,000 kms

I think I looked for four years for this one.

Not many get to EBay.....

My suggestion is that you do Google image search there are two ''done'' cars in NL might be 10-15K euros....

Look at the photos and decied what you want. It takes some looking but there are nice cars out there.

I am still looking for a 508C coupe

Attached Files:

6. Hi Bluto;
    I recieved this info today from NL. The price is on the lower right hand corner. This firm had three for sale and this is their only one left, as of today.
    Ron

Attached Files:

7. Well now, thats a new one, haven't heard of any difference before. Did your new "B" cam gear have a "B" on it or was it listed for a "B" specifically rather than an "A" or "B"?

8. ebtm3

ebtm3

New to me also. Certainly Ford listed the same gear for A and B

Herb Kephart

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Ron ..... there's one in Italy poorly restored and twice that. People ask anything .... did you find any production numbers by body type?

I think by the time things get to the internet they are many times the price of one stuck in a small town somewhere.

I very seldom find a car the right price or condition I want at a dealer and never at an auction.

That one may have the hood from a sedan.

10. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

Bluto, thanks for info!

I'm deep into my Hansa project for now, but there's always time to plan for the future :)

BTW, I'll keep in mind that you're looking for a 508C and let you know if I find one.

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Parts are useful too.

Thank you

12. Are you sure whoever told you this that they wern't talking about the distributor cam that opens and closes the points?

13. Bluto;
    Thanks for this ! As my last project, the roadster, is done except for a few little details, I thought about doing one more, maybe if I can get away with it...lol. Anyway, the Balilla (Ballila ?) Coupe sure looks appealing and I will begin the search. I do appreciate your help!
    Ron

Attached Files:

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Ron

This is the 508 or Simca 8 style coupe I have been looking for.

Rare but drivable like a model B or VW

This one was for sale but got away before I could go see it

Attached Files:

15. Bluto; very nice and in my favorite colour!
    Ron

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I think there were many wonderful items that came to Canada after the war when Europeans found Canada easier to enter north rather than try to get into the US

I know many many people from central and eastern Europe.

17. If you hold the distributor point cam up to where the light is hitting the side the "A" will have a distinct line in the surface on both sides of the high point at the tangent line while the "B' shows only a line on the right side or tangent

( Tangent, touching a surface or curve at one point only and not intersecting )

18. :eek:
    I can remember an Italian mechanic that worked at a GM dealership close to where I lived, when I was about 16 years of age (about 55 years ago, wow :confused: ), drove a Topolino on occasion. I always loved that little car which is still in Thunder Bay, as far as I know.
    Ron

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

bluto , are these cars your building about the size of an Austin ? look like fords but smaller .... steve

20. RussTee

RussTee

Well thought i better check it went out to my shed and got into my new old stock parts yep they are different laid a B gear on a A gear lined the camshaft dowel holes up and there is a tiny difference I was shown this by an old time parts dealer in a country garage when i brought all his new old stock parts they are not marked different other than a splash of paint B being reddish orange and A yellow he said at the time you can use either but the B gear in the B motor always runs better. He also had the bronze gears and a bronze gear for a tee together with a NOS Rajo B inlet manifold but that was at least 20 years ago I turned 60 last friday and was in my 40s when I brought this stuff.
    Going to give the 27 RP a birthday over the holidays its been on the road for 40 years now so it getting Kelsey bent spoke wheels quick change borg warner overdrive in the torque tube [in the front by the gearbox] chrome diff its model a running gear b motor tee body chrome front end new brake drums and flathead ted floaters its rod brakes of course new brake rods Rutherford overhead sidedrive ignition Rutherford sump and maybe a set of later wish bones split drilled and chromed to put the spring in front of the cross member suicide style and bring the front down a bit. I worry it may change its period a bit but its what I would like so what the hell.

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Steve

Which Austin? There are many of many different sizes. No these are not as small as the smallest Austin.... those are Topolinos ...... These are not

Do you think Austins(some) or Topolinos or both look like Fords..... they don't look like Fords to me but then I own only one Ford AND doesn't look it

And without your Cam Job number I can't help you get your cam back till I am there in a couple months.

22. I think the side profile of the Balilla coupe does reminds me a lot of a 1935 Ford coupe that I had.....but in my mind the Fiat has nicer curves. I also like the fact that they are somewhat smaller. I found a picture yesterday on a Fiat site that showed a woman standing beside a coupe but I could not steal it. It was good for illustrating the scale of the car.
    Ron

23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Which Austin?

jimski , i dont know austins . there is one here that comes to a few car shows . little 2 door . motor looks like a singer sewing machine . no problem , i will see him next yr .. thanks .. steve

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The success of design is that it's without scale. Very few cars can look any size. To me Topolinos look small but Ballilas and most of that family up till early post war 1100e look like theycould be far larger than they are or maybe smaller...... we can say ''These are not big cars'' but it is really hard to understand unless your stand nest to one.

Steve this is a tiny Rosengart ...... a French Austin but without humans around you'd never guess it wasn't a Dodge

Attached Files:

25. Bluto; Do you know the name of the designer of the Balilla ?
    Ron

26. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I did once but it's 1AM

Nite .........

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG] this is about the size of the 2 door here . g'nite .. steve

28. kirby1374

kirby1374

I just installed a B dizzy and as advised I set it at 17* advanced at idle with a timing light. I have a few questions. First did I set the timing right? Do I need to adjust the mechanical advance? Do I need to lube anything? How does the advance work? Is it under the points plate?
    Thanks

29. Is this with an "A" or "B" timing cover?

30. NORSON

NORSON

My dad bought a Simca new in 1947. It had a soft, roll back roof. I was about five at the time. Barely remember it. It was blue and I remember sitting in the back and seeing the frame work of the roof. Dad sold it after only a few months. His complaint was, "It manufactured it's own hills". The guy he sold it to said it was the greatest car he ever owned. In the sixties I bought a white '47 Simca and cut it up to make an altered. I was able to lift the engine out by hand. It's one of the two cars I wish I could have back. Funny thing is the white paint covered the original color, It was blue.
    Norm