Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who's got a Thumpur Cam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pokey, Dec 15, 2010.

1. pokey

pokey

This cam is becoming very popular. it has a great sound. I have been looking for this sound and would like to know how it performs. Who's got one and what's the verdict.

2. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I keep reading on here that everybody and their sister wants one.... What's the scoop on this cam.. Who makes it and what are the specs????

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

4. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

HERE WE GO AGAIN, THIS THING HAS BEEN HAMMERED OUT IN PREVIOUS POSTS, In short i have the small thumper, if you want the straight dope on it look back at the Hot Rod mag . shootout of this cam on a dyno. Last year dont know what issue for sure. It will pretty much answer your question.Thenyou will have it in black and white, instead of inputs that some buddies brother in laws, friends uncles nephew says it is no good

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I'll play. First hand experience with it. Real nice street grind with a race attitude. It was optimized to build torque and maximize compression. It does.

Want it from the guy that drives it? PM Moter. His deuce roadster will haze the tires at freeway speeds. Probably good for mid 12's in a 2400 piound car with his E-tec heads, lake headers, TH350 & 3.50 gear. Every bit of 400 HP.

I've said it before, if you came to talk shit with no first hand experience, piss off. If you HAVE used one and disagree with me, pull up a chair. I want to hear what you've got to say.

And remember, drama sucks, so skip it.

6. Hey Scotty.....can I get one for my Flathead and make it a 12 second car....then I can have a "dramatic:rolleyes:" Hot Rod....hahaha.....sorry I just couldn't resist messing with you:D, see ya soon.

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You keep it up, Skot, and I'll sign on full time as part of your pit crew!

I like the sound of the Thumper cams, but it doesn't hold a candle to a little Nitro.

8. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I've been wondering about them. I'm going to swap the engine in my F100 in the future, but I'd like to wake up the little 305 SBC that's in it for the time being. I have some better heads to use and an intake and 600cfm 4bbl, and was thinking about putting in a Thumpr cam, new lifters, pushrods, timing chain assembly. Should be a drastic difference in the stock engine with stock heads and stock 2-Jet. Not looking for major power, but just a good setup for driving and to sound decent at idle.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  9. skwurl

skwurl

They sound good.

10. pokey

pokey

I am ready to swap out my cam week after next. I have picked the thumper that can be used with my stock converter. I am not trying to break the sound barrier I just want to sound good at the cruz spot. the cam I have is very stock as my idle is even and steady. i'm ready to lump it up.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Funny thing about that cam, lots of duration @ .050. I picked out a Comp Cam several yrs before they came out with the Thumper series. It has lots of duration at .050 and only .447 lift if I remember correctly and people think I got some killer Cam in it. Fooling people is half the fun :D

12. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

+1000000. I could give 2 rat shits less about how everybody starts talking about ordering a custom grind everytime the Thumpr cams are mentioned. They hit like hell and run good.

Jimmy Johnson may not be running one but who cares. They sound good...that's what they were made for.

13. i've been hearing alot about them, im looking into getting a cam as well but unsure what i can run with a little 500 afb

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You would be amazed how some engine combos run well with small cfm. As you can read above, I run my carb (Holley 650 Dbl Pump) with the secondary link removed. It still spanks a few cars.

15. and thats why i myself havnt chosen a cam yet. i want to find out what you folks know. im all ears. ill be honest i dont have much money so i was lookin into the speedway cams. my motor isnt speacial. old bored 30 over 350 chevy 4 bolt, old oil fill intake with a 500 afb im picking up and some open lake headers.

speeways cams are-

112 and 114 lobe center. wich is wierd to me. the gross valve lift is 465 465,yet still says it has a good idle,

the next is 488 488 but the rpm range is 3000 to 6000 and thats not were i want my power.

by the way im not tryin to hi-jack the thread :) just like to hear some opinions on cams

16. They work really well, and make nearly the exact horsepower numbers as their High Energy cams. I have seen so much BS about these things from "experts" who have never owned one. I agree with the previous posts about keeping the drama out of this thread.

If you get on Comp's site, they have sound clips for all three models (Thumpr, Mutha Thumpr, and Bad Mutha Thumpr). I personally like the sound of the smallest one. It has a crisp, crackly, idle.

I know Joe Sherman pretty well, and he prefers Comp products. He said that the first time he installed a Thumpr and ran it on the dyno, guys came from a few shops down in his complex to see what the racket was. I'll never forget what he said about the Bad Mutha Thumpr; "It sounds like John Force backing up from a burnout in his fuel car".

17. spudz

spudz

I got the big mutha thumpr in my stroker sbc. I recommend it for excellent showing off capabilities and awesome power.

18. What kind of vacuum do the 3 levels of the THUMPER produce at idle?
    I've got power discs in 2 of my cars and my wife won't give up that luxury.
    I hate the vacuum pump in one of my cars.........very noisy.

19. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

20. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'm glad somneone brought up the vacuum level! I've been drooling over the new car craft and their 5.3 but no listing of how much vacuum , or any of the dyno tests come think of it.

I have a small cam in my rebuilder 350. I didn't put it there, but i gotta say I like the sound of it. I never thought about it till now but people always comment they like the sound at idle, and I still get like 18-20" of vacuum , can t remember exactly

That nova sounds bad! really sharp car.

21. My Extreme Energy only pulls 7.5" vacuum on it's best cool dry day in my '36 coupe.
    My '28 sedan with an older version of Comp Cam's Magnum 292/292 with .501 lift will pull 6" in drive at idle.

The power brakes are dangerously ineffective after more than 2 stabs of the pedal in both cars.

I would carefully examine vacuum level of the next build I do.
    I still think that the currently available aftermarket vacuum pumps are inferior toast.

What has worked for the rest of the board as far as being able to use your additional vacuum accessories?

Can a Thumper produce a better alternative to earlier grinds?

22. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I really like my Comp Cams Thumper Cam. It is pretty mild lift at .488 but has a nasty lopy idle and sounds great. IT also seems to make good power in a 10:1 350 with 194cc heads.

Nothing sweeter than a '55 chevy with a nasty lopy cam in it!

Attached Files:

23. j2aohio

j2aohio

I have a thumper cam in my 92 Mustang with a stroked 351 Windsor (427 cu. in.)
    and it runs great.

24. budrow

budrow

I gave $50 for a thumper cam kit to a buddy of mine who sold his Chevy before he used it. Sounded like a good deal, but now I've found that I'll need a higher stall converter or a stick shift. Gess I'll have to spring for the converter or trade for a milder cam. That cam would sound nice though. Got another month or two to make a decision. A little cold out for wrenching on the ratchero.

25. Muttley

Muttley

That sounds great...........now, how about some in action videos? :cool: ;)

26. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I gotta say that chevy II sounds really good.
    I used to sell cams for a living, and people talked about ramp angles, and all sorts of technical specifics. But the reality is that most of us are really looking for that "sound".
    If these things can deliver old school sound and new school torque I say cool.
    I have really been thinking about the old W30 cam and cherry bombs for awhile now, The flowmasters just sound... too Ninties??

27. bill3337

bill3337

I'm glad to see a few positive comments on the thumper, I just put the motha thumpr in my GM 430 hp crate engine for the '37, haven't fired it yet, but I have a friend with the same engine and factory cam......goes good but sounds wimpy at idle. I have a comp cams 304 roller in my stroker in the '33 and it sounds great and goes like hell, but wanted something a little milder for my wife to drive this time.

28. pokey

pokey

I was told that the thumper would not effect the vacum assessories much. there is also a thumper that can be used with a stock converter. You have to be carful with duration. 227 488 lift.

29. pokey

pokey

When you have a car like that Nova it is supposed to sound like that. Bad ass! When you pull up on the cruz spot this is what you want. You can't go in folks cruz in burning rubber and stuff when you sound like that it leaves everything up to the imagination dig it:cool: Nice, This is why I want "The Thumper"