Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects update on the Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

just messin around out in the shop today,
    no real direction

pulled a grill shell off the wall and set it in place

the body is channeled 4"
    and the frame stepped another 2"

so I cut 6" out of the shell,
    vice gripped it together and set it back in place

I think I like it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Paul, Shell looks great. Could you have got away with less of a chop ? Will gettin a radiator be a problem ?

3. hasty

hasty

Looks good. Does the absence of (fast) blue tape in the 'after' picture mean there will be no hood at all?

4. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Top looks good, but could the bottom come down to about the top of the axle? Cut more off the grill shell at the cross member?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  5. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Spark, I think he has set the top of the shell to line up with his cowl so lowering the shell will alter the cowl to shell relationship. I too think the shell would look good if the bottom was lower so Paul would have to add, some of the material he sectioned out, back into the shell and then notch the bottom deeper to fit further over the crossmember. Paul, I have admired your build for awhile and that blown Olds is just mad, truly beautiful.

6. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I thought he may have cut once and overlapped it to gauge how much to cut.

7. HotRod33

HotRod33

Paul the car is looking great and it is nice to see an A grille shell not a 32 on your car..........

8. I agree the A shell looks good. So does the entire car! Love the engine!

The problem with just lowering the shell over the cross member to "hide some of the axle it the gap it leaves showing the radiator tanks. Here are a couple shots of mine. The one with the Radiator you can see the gaps it leaves at the bottom. The shell in that shot needed to be lowered more to get the correct alignment to the cowl. In the second it is at correct height. I put a piece of cardboard to hide the block for visuals but you can see that the lower edge of the shell openning is down between the frame rails. this is where the gap shows. I will run a mesh insert on mine .

Attached Files:

9. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

Excellant ride perfect!

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Dammmm Paul that is sweet.

11. castleman1111

castleman1111

12. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I_be_moose. The way I solved that problem for 56NoBrakes was to notch the sides of his shell 3" to lower it over the crossmember and then I raised the radiator opening to cover the dreaded shell to radiator gap. I have included before and after pics.

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

'bought a tig welder a few years ago, it's been under the bench almost unused
    last couple weeks I've finaly drug it out and I've been trying to teach myself how to tig weld

so I thought this would be a good test
    got all set up, started fitting the grill pieces
    took the camera out to the shop
    got one picture off and the battery died.

don't worry I fixed the missalignment in the first picture before welding
    man, don't underestimate how tough it is to get a perfect finish weld in something like this
    the guys that can pull this off have my admiration
    by the time the camera battery was charged I had it together and rough ground
    couple low spots to fill, a bit of shrinking and it'll be ready for pollish

more I see the short short grill the more I like it
    I think it fit's the look I'm after perfect

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  14. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looks great Paul!!

15. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Another KILLER A Coupe coming together here on the HAMB, this is why I love it here! Keep up the work Paul shell looks great!

16. 57 3100

57 3100

some guys get the perfect look, and you are nailing it with your coupe..

leonard

17. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

Looks GREAT! If you have a minute could you post specs of your wheel-tire combo. Size and offset of wheels, brand ect.. Thanks Scott. Did I mention it's Great?

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

15x8 and 15x5 Gennies from Wheel Vintiques
    with 8.20-15 Radirs and 5.60-15 US Royals (Coker)

sorry, don't remember the offsets,
    but if they aren't neutral they are close to it

19. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

Thanks, Scott

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

21. 65 impala

65 impala

really liking what you got going on their wish i was closer so i could come have a look

22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

rouge cut, good enough for now,
    I'll put more shine on it later as the car becomes more complete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Dammmm that is nice.

24. solid

solid

Looks right on.

25. rustymetal

rustymetal

nice to see one that is not chopped great job

26. chickenshift

chickenshift

Really lovin this thread. especially that freakin motor!!!!

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Nice !!!

28. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

That coupe is coming along nice.

29. kisam

kisam

Paul,
    That looks so good! Love the stance. I don't know how you build two at a time?

30. That's awesome Paul