Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1929 Model A Ford AV8 truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Dec 12, 2010.

1. The transmission I have a 50 truck 3 speed with an open drive. It bolts right up to the 42 Merc.

[​IMG]

Since I am using the 35 Banjo I need an open drive conversion. I did not want to spend $200 so I built one. The yoke is a 1951 Ford F2 yoke. I machined it and got it this far but I have not welded it yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The model a wishbone was cut apart already so I split it. I welded in a bung on the end and attached a tie rod end. I even spent the cash and bought a reamer for the tie rod mount.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The problem now was that the caster was at zero so I had to pie cut the front of the wishbone where it attaches to the axle to get 7 degrees. They are just tacked for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

those knobbies aren't what you would want for a push truck, but if you have them in stock, then use 'em.

keep up the good work

3. Hi Bob, Thanks, no not in stock. I would need to buy rear tires. What should I put out back? What do you have in stock in a 6.50-16 or 7.00-16?

4. lowtech36rod

lowtech36rod
    from Kentucky

Hey great looking pickup. I love it. Keep up the good work, man.

5. just a couple of observations.
    i would take out a few leaves in the front spring.
    the 35 ford was much heavier than your pickup. it would lower the front a little.
    as far as tires i woudl run a 550 or 525 front and a 750 on the rear. ti gives a nice rubber rake.
    tk

6. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

great build illl keep my eyes on this one. but hey, make sure you champher those bones before you weld on the front , youre gonna want full penetration.

oh also, those knobby tires i seen a lot in old lakes pictures.

7. Thanks!

The front spring is a 34 car. Should I still take a few leaves out? It's not a big deal to do I guess. I have 4) 6.00-16 tires, so for now that is what will be on the front, but they don't look right on the rear.

Yep I am on it. This was just a trial and error take to get the right caster angle. If you have any pictures of knobby's I would like to see them.

8. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

9. I have been reading Vern Tardell's Building an AV8 Roadster and he says to use a F1 steering box. I have a nice one and I could not make it fit with the stock flange on it so I followed his directions and cut off the F1 flange 1" from the box, and the Model a flange 1" from the end. The result is a great fitting unit! I did want to tackle this but it was very simple to do. I still need to put in a new shaft bushing. I did not weld it yet because I need to figure out my dash yet, but it is ready to go at least. Another hurdle out of the way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For a steering arm, I had this laying around and it accepts a tie rod end rather than the F1 pitman arm that has a ball on it. It makes for a cleaner install.

[​IMG]

This is a 46 truck steering wheel and column I was saving. It is the same as a 40 car in design. I need to shorten the F1 column anyhow so i will and this top section to accept this wheel. I also has the column drop so it will make a neat package. I had to put in a new key switch because the original key was long gone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. greaser

greaser

I'll be watching this one! This is a sweet looking pickup. Great job!
    I need a radiator like yours, do you know who is mfr?

11. I'm really dig your build. I really like 28-29 pickups. Here is a pic. of mine.

12. 1929

from Pomona

Very Nice! Me like this one!

13. stevens2@htva.net

[email protected]
    from 14883

my 31, it started out a lot like yours, just pieces. 3" haircut and bobbed the rear fenders, it come out ok. It was all done in my garage, the floor is still red! Don't give up good things take time.

14. ....man!...those 28-31 Model A closed cabs sure have character...yours is lookin great. Have you seen Lance Sorchik's on here.?

15. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

in the book "the birth of hot rodding" by robert genat. pages: 132, guys carrying one from a car on page 122, 65, 29, and 16.

16. I searched for him but did not find him. Do you have a link to a thread with the truck?

17. Looking good...can't wait to see it in person...

Symco? Iola campground?

18. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

19. I hope both. I will have to look you up either way.

20. Awesome! You can't go wrong with a truck. Good luck!

21. Niiiiiice. what tire sizes are you running? wheel widths?

22. I was trying to figure a rear shock set up and I was having clearance issues with the 35 banjo I have in the chassis. I was looking at my 39 Ford and saw these on the rear axle: aftermarket tube shock mounts made to bolt on tube shocks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I get them off and clean them up and I go to bolt them on the 35 banjo and they don't fit.
    So plan B: Install the 40 banjo I have. That takes car of the shock issue real well.

So now I get to asking questions about the rear trailing arms the how strong they are when using an open drive shaft and the consensus is i would need to triangulate the rear suspension and make a bunch more work. The drive shaft will cost me $100 bucks to have made and so now I am rethinking my open drive.

After a week or so I decided to switch back to Henry's idea and run the torque tube. So now I need to convert the open drive transmission to a torque tube. I thought it would be easy but the rear mount and main shaft are different. So I decide to remove the trans from the 39.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I have a plan, but I could not get the trans to separate from the engine so through the hole in the top of the bell housing I cut apart the clutch and finally got it off. But now the trans is missing a chunk from the bell housing. So I am thinking of switching guts to my open drive trans but that would ruin a good transmission. I go and see my 73 year old buddy and he has a 39 case sitting in the garage on the shelf and it has been there for 30years he says. So he gives it to me and I rebuild the trans. Now I have a nice 39 trans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the torque tube. I figured I should not cut up the trailing arms or tube from the 40 so I drag in a 46 banjo I have and remove the tube and shorten it and the drive shaft. I also used the trailing arms which I did not even have to modify.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. I had to move the clutch and brake set-up closer to the transmission in order to clear the frame. So I had to narrow the clutch arm. And while I was at it I welded up the socket for the bushing in the clutch shaft and bored it out so it has no wear in it. I also welded up the clutch shaft in the bell housing and cut it on the lathe because it had a lot of wear in it. I also installed new bushings in the bell housing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. For the last week I been on the gas tank.

This is the one I have and it just happens to fit. No idea what it is from.

[​IMG]

25. These are the rear frame rails I removed to modify the chassis. I was not sure why but I saved them. They will work great to lengthen the frame.

[​IMG]

They are a little long but that is an easy fix. They flow with the truck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the tank resting in it's place. It looks ok but I need to make mounts and a rear support and bumper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a bumper I have from an old Ford f1 I cut up. I think it will work if I cut it down. It definitely fits the era of the build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Paul, I like it. This is the one id like to get from you!! You have all kinds of cool stuff.... Merry christmas!!

Rob

27. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

man you dont mess around thats going to be a really cool traditional shoe string build

28. Thanks guys, sorry Rob, You can't have this one.:D

I was going to work on the bumper but decided I better mount the tank. My foal it to blast the frame this week so it needs to be finish welded. I added a few pieces of tubing and made some straps to hold the tank in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I cut down the bumper and mocked it up.

[​IMG]

Then I rounded the ends and tacked it to the brackets. I think it turned out ok. I was going for a usable bumper that matched the look of the truck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010