Register now to get rid of these ads!

last chance for Banger meet December 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Dec 1, 2010.

1. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I finally found a machine shop today that will cut the taper, and key way...Now what is the best way to address the radis arms?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. Off to Mooneyes Xmas party fellas. I will get pictures of any bangers i come across. I am pretty sure CrazyDaddy-o is gonna have something there at least.-Weeks

3. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Weeks,
    Good to see you yesterday. Thanks for posting the pictures.

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Cut the front ends off (where the bolt to the torque tube). Shorten the tubes the amount you need. Weld the ends back on.

When you take the ends of just grind the weld of . there is a section of the ends that extend in to the tube. you want to leave that so that the end fits back into the tube once it is shortened.

5. Weeks- great shots, thanks for the coverage.

Question about using axle shims.
    I'm installing hydraulic brakes on my 29A and know that the brake drums will rub the backing plate. I have seen 2 solutions:
    1. Turn down the lip of the backing plate and the inner lip of the drum 1/8".
    2. Install axle shims to space them apart.

What is your 2 cents on the best solution and why.

Thanks guys.

6. And lastly the one thing I always seek out at whatever car event I go to BANG-ERS. Met the new owner of Taylor Engines today and that fella is awesome and has a great future I forsee with the company at his raines. No one else posted any pictures of the BANG-ERS in any of the other picture threads yet that I have seen so here they are.

26 Model T with the Banger still for power and yes he drove it to the show and drove it home. Has a 2 speed also hidden underneath so he keeps up with traffic. Awesome gentleman and his Hamb name escapes me at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Little bit of new with the old on this 30' 2 door. Running a modern webber progressive carb, alternator, 12volt I believe, disc brakes on the front :rolleyes::confused:, mechanicals still intact on the rear. and a modern breather :confused:. And a dropped axle. Well interesting set-up none the least.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Resident Rockstar of the monthly Bang-er threads, CrazyDaddy-O. Putting in work out there on the strip won a bit too. Only banger to dragrace PROPS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1/2 second before the near lane went BOOM. Trans blew up.
    [​IMG]
    Big pile of paperweights. Driver hopped out and held the starter up to the air for the hot rod gods at the cheers of the crowd.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[​IMG]

Do you know how long I've been waiting to see an overall shot of this car?? Thanks so much for posting that!

It's even cooler than I thought it'd be.

-Dave

8. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Kinda what I figered thanks..its coming along...gonna put the QC on back burner....

9. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

Since you like the tub so much, here are a few pics I took at Paso Robles in 2004. The tub was hiding in a side street, a couple of blocks away from the park!!!!!
    Hope you like them:):)
    Eddy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Hey, thanks, I appreciate it.

-Dave

11. Bluto; That is always a nice feeling ! Is the body tub the same as a Topo? I presume there is a full frame in your's ? Can you post a few more pictures ?
    Thanks, Ron

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Ballila is a bigger car (1100cc) First car here is a 1937 508

Topolinos are just tiny..... But they handle like they were on rails... honest

Attached Files:

13. Thanks Bluto;
    The Ballila sure is the one to have, by the looks of them! Very nice indeed.
    Ron

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

All if these little cars are fun...... the 1100 engine is a lot more powerful that the Topolinos 570cc but the little engine pushed to bursting all day long and give you 50mpg the bigger engines won't do that and the Ballila/508/1100 handle well but not like the little mice.

They are all fun and respond positively to a little hopping up

These are all before the 'Fix it again Tony' years

15. ebtm3

ebtm3

If Topolino's are mice, are Ballila's Rats?

Wish my shop was infested with both!

Herb

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

They are all over Just start asking

BALLILA's are not rats...... more like bigger mice

Best thing is you can carry the motor under your arm....

17. ... kinda like a Crosley with some taste and style :D?

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Can someone educate me on the provenance of downdraft carburetors? They’re a big scandal amongst T speedster guys, with some swearing up and down they didn’t exist until 1928, and others advocating that they go back to the teens on boat, stationary, and aircraft engines.

Now, obviously they were uncommon before the early ‘30s on production vehicles, but I did find a patent from a Packard engineer named Moorhouse from 1919. Does anybody know when they became available for installation on automobile engines, even if nobody manufactured a car with one prior to the ‘28 Dodge?

Thanks,

Dave

19. noboD

noboD

Bigcheese, as far as I know Dodge Brothers used updraft until the mid 30's. Especially on the '28 Fast FOUR, so it qualifies for this thread.

20. Hi Bluto;
    I have noticed some differences in the Ballilas on the web. All were refered to as '34 coupes but some had hood louvers that followed a curve at the bottom where as some had a bottom line parallel to the top as in the picture of your friend's. Some had a roof insert while others did not and finally the taillights were different. Some had the stands while others were mounted on the body. Can you explain?
    Ron
    p.s. see what you've started, lol.

Attached Files:

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

There are Fiats, Simca, NSU, built all over.

Look at this I think she says there were 45 of these cars in France I learned French at age 8 so I don't catch many details

http://www.autosital.com/spip.php?page=article&id_article=1714#22496

In any case the photos you see today reflect the desire of customers as well

Our Mercedes 680s was sold to a customer in Nice and was fitted new with Marchal headlamps These are therefore original French lamps on a German car just doesn't happen that often

I don't think any of this is 'cast in stone' Even Model A Fords built in Europe are a little different..... our 31 woodie gave the American guys fits all claiming "it must be fake!!!" When I told them it was a Dutch car almost to a man they asked "Why it wasn't right hand drive????!":D

We have owned the car for a week. Because the snow is knee deep I only got a look at it once. Please give me a few more days to be an ''Expert'' :)

22. Thanks Bluto ! No rush on this.
    Ron

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the basic arguement behind updraft vs downdraft really was the use of "modern" carbs...read 97's. the T speedster guys wanted to keep everything more period.

"generally" downdraft carbs came into provenance in the middle/later 20's (towards the end of the model T production), and became more commonly seen on race (dirt tracks) cars at that time. Model T production ceased in '27, so for the sake of avoiding arguements, down draft carbs were outright banned with the T speedster guys.

If you look at production dates, Winfield S, and SR carbs are late 20's and 30's carb, not model T era carbs. Model V and M carbs are T era carbs.

Think that is the general line on the down vs up arguement.

24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Hmm, I guess I assumed the Victory Six had a downdraft. The '32 Ford V8 had one, and I thought the '32 Chevrolet Stovebolt did too.

-Dave

25. Victory 6 had an updraft- kinda hard to find too (without paying an arm and a leg)!

26. RussTee

RussTee

Cool car Bluto was it that model that had a roadster version with some kind of a tail on it I seem to remember one running around here a very attractive wee car

27. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

It was another great year guys. Thanks for all the great info and pics
    later Bill

28. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Fiat produced a Roadster that looked like a tiny Model A.,Convertable sedan,
    Coupe that also was "A"esque, Sedan, Coupes like our, A sports coppa d'oro roadster (tail fin car), Mille Miglia coupe......a tudor sedan that opens fully in the rear, delivery van, pickup...... and several one-offs

OHV and flathead motors were fitted most years too. 3&4 speed trans

29. modeleh

modeleh

I have a Winfield S and DD intake that I will be putting on my AA flatdeck. It has a B crank and cam and a BF head. I was thinking of making a header for it, do you think there will be a noticeable difference from the stock manifold. I had also thought of making a split header and running dual exhaust with smithys. How do the bangers sound with split exhaust? I see Yapp is making a pair of cast Y pipes and pairing 1&2, and 3&4, which I guess makes sense because when one piston is up, the other is down.
    Also, this engine has a B cam verified by the fact of the fuel pump lobe, but I'm not sure if it has a B timing cover or A. I think it is probably A. I guess my timing could be out, what would be the best way to time something like this? Also, I have an A distributor, but do have a B, do you think it would make a better package with the B dizzy?