Register now to get rid of these ads!

61 fairlane chevy swap ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigvicsd, Nov 8, 2010.

1. LOL...So are you saying... Whats the difference between a Chevy and a shopping cart?
    A shopping cart is easier to push.

2. I'm really sorry. At first glance at that pic I thought that was the Bat Mobile painted blue.

Now you shouldn't use the F word on this post...you just messed it up.

3. redshoes36

redshoes36
    BANNED

Are you fucking nuts? Wanting to put a corpate wellfare piece of junk in a perfeckly good ford, GET a life.

4. 1320/150

1320/150

If you ever want to ride in a fast car, look me up. I'd love to give you a ride!!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  5. corpate????

6. flattopdan

flattopdan

How did this turn into a Chevy hate fest? I mean come on guys Chevy had some nice cars. Like take the GTO, oh wait that's not a Chevy. Ok how abot the rocket 88, wait not a Chevy either. Ok um let's see, there is them............ummmmmmm............. Guys help me out here. Oh wait, the 54 I'd a good looking car, ( well after you do a lot of work to it smoothing out the body some) but none the less a good looking car.

7. teddyp

teddyp

good for you i don,t care much for mopars but i like that you put what you like type motor in the body you like THATS HOT RODDING i would put a sbc in it just to piss off all the cry babies and have a good running truck to me what is getting to be boreing is all the cry babies that think a ford must be in a ford and a chevy must be in a chevy i,m 65 years old and we always used what we had or like as for the ford in this thread i would go y-block or a sbc

8. flattopdan

flattopdan

I agree with you teddyp. I typically like to keep ford in for, chevy in chevy and so on, but if its what you know and are comfortable with then put in what you got. It doesn't really matter what it is, as long as your having fun with the car, and that's what is really important.

9. pull a chuckles and drop a blown nailhead in it. and get everyone to shut up and quit fussin.

10. When I bought it..it had a chevy motor & drivetrain...I gave it all away...I've seen too many Fords with chevys so I wanted to be different.

Like you said...Old school was putting whatever you had to build a rod & to be different from anyone else. I still think that way but only to a point. If I owned a Chevy I think I would install a VW engine just to be different.

Bad thing about Mopar is they cost allot to build & buy Hot Rod parts.

11. Now that would be COOL. I did put a Pinto in a Nash Metro.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. 1320/150

1320/150

I vote rectangle headlights for you "just to be different" it will go nice with your theme!!!

13. Naw...The 56 Grille looks so Bitchen. If you noticed, the body lines is all Ford.

You know thinking about it that Batman car oops I mean Chevy would look real good with VW headlights. & while your at it, fix the flat tire on the left rear.;)

14. bigvicsd

bigvicsd
    from san diego

i would like to see a pic of that?

15. bigvicsd

bigvicsd
    from san diego

Shooot what happend here i just wana cool runner under the hood..
    I like fords and chevy's AND BUICK'S in the end i just wana drive um.....

Attached Files:

16. Oh just havin some fun

17. Been reading the threads here. Like most have said, Better keeping it a Ford. I know the Fords guys want more for the engines, but its worth it in the long run. No changing the sump, & other unforseen problems, Also keep in mind the chevy started is on the left side so you need to make sure you have room for the steering along with the exhaust manifold (may not be a problem but need to look into it)

I have found T-Birds with 5.0 & 4.6 Cheap out here in Reno. The IRS is held in with 4 bolts easy install. 8.8" rear good for cruising.

Something to think about.

18. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Personally I like the idea of the 390 swap and have been on the hunt for one myself.

There's a few companies that I've found online that specialize in the fullsize Fairlanes/Galaxies.

Crites Performance Parts sells the C6 trans. crossmember.

Also, check out dropnstop.com for the disc brake swap kit w/ drop spindles.

BTW- I'm looking for headlight trim rings as well as tail light housings

19. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I'm one of those Ford/Ford, Chevy/Chevy guys and I think the swap would be way more trouble than its worth. There are plenty of Ford choices out there. There aren't that many 61's out there why trash it IMHO. If you want something different why not go with a sbf. That engine wasn't offered in that car and it would just about bolt right up. The sbc in the 30s, 40s, & early 50's cars seems to be the norm and its usually done good. SBC in a 61 Ford just doesn't seem right. Worst example of the sbc I saw was one in a 94 Mustang. To make matters worse it wasn't done very good. Looked like he was driving a beater.

20. A few years back at a show here in Reno I saw a 54 Ford 2 door with a 427 SOHC Cammer engine. Looked awsome sitting in the engine bay. 650 hp stock. Now I would be thinking of something like that to be different.

Better dig deep in your wallet to get one. Don't know what they cost today, but I know back in the 60's they were 10 grand in the crate.

My dad had a 67 Mustang Pro Stock with one in it. Had the old what they called Clutch Flite Trans & 514 Gears. Turned mid 10's back then. The cars Name was the Hummer.:cool:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
    volvobrynk likes this.
  21. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Im a lil confused.. I thought they stopped using the 223 I6 by the late 50's?? I do remember early fairlanes having 221 V8's though..

22. bigvicsd

bigvicsd
    from san diego

223 came stock in the 61 im not a ford guru but thats what the vin pulled on the net..

ford free sold that bad boy......

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  23. TruckDrivingSOB

TruckDrivingSOB

Well to bring up an old thread I thought I'd let everyone know that my wife and I ended up with this car. It still has the 6cyl in it and runs like a top...........now! Had a 6 volt coil clutch was in backwards blown head gasket and no oil going to the rockers. Its getting bagged new interior and a stock baby blue paint with silver flake top.

24. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Sounds like it went to a good home. Be sure to post some progress pics. Not too many 61s out there.

25. TruckDrivingSOB

TruckDrivingSOB

Thanks man! Will get some pics up as we go. My wife likes to pick the odd balls and 1 year only stuff. Makes finding parts tricky but worth it.

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm a Chevrolet guy, my blood bleeds Chevrolet Orange when I get cut. BUT, your car deserves the biggest FE and C-6 trans you can find to drop in it. IF it was a 20-30-40's car, a SBC is fine; but 50-60-70's Ford cars have more than enough room for an FE. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it. Butch/56sedandelivery.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. 62rebel

62rebel

a lot of full size Ford kop cars had nothing more than that six in them and were capable of doing their jobs. an FE would be my choice, but IMHO there's bags of torque in that six.

28. TruckDrivingSOB

TruckDrivingSOB

Like I said the 6 is staying in it. The po is the guy with sbc idea. We are looking for a split manifold and a dual carb intake.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. TruckDrivingSOB

TruckDrivingSOB

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430916934.228076.jpg

Lil update. Ended up needing a new head. That snowballed into a complete rebuild. Three heads and two blocks later she's finally done. Sending the cam off to a cam grinder in Vancouver and start putting it back together. Wife is bummed it took so long but it's gonna last the rest of our lives. 8 months at the machine shop!!

volvobrynk and wvenfield like this.
  30. TruckDrivingSOB

TruckDrivingSOB

Almost ready to go back in. What a journey!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446991515.284828.jpg

volvobrynk and harpo1313 like this.