Register now to get rid of these ads!

61 fairlane chevy swap ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigvicsd, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Willy301

Willy301

289 and 302 always had the same pattern, the bell housings on them never changed, not sure what would directly fit to your current bell though. If it turns out you find a 351 Windsor but cannot find the 289/302, it is also the same bell housing, and better torque numbers than the 302...alot of mid '80s E-250 work vans in our area that have that engine.

2. Yeah I Did. I like the Fat Fender Fords but love the Mopar drivetrain.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  3. flattopdan

flattopdan

If you are going to go this route than just run a 302 or 351w/aod. 89 or older will be non electronic and make the swap alot easier and will run down the hiway really nice.

4. flattopdan

flattopdan

nice thinking outside the box there. :cool:

5. bigvicsd

bigvicsd
    from san diego

thanks for all the great info its just a matter of time before i come across a nice set up and make the swap to a v8.

yes keeping it a ford.

6. So lets see you built a MOPAR that you can regularly wing to 7K and its going to go 1,390,000. The reason I ask is that I have in tne neighborhood of 139K on the SBC that I decided to freshen because its just a good idea. I have lost count but if I recall its on its 4th or 5th body.

I like MOPARs as well as Fords and GM engines. My experience is that none are really any better than the others. Some are a better fit in certain vehicles than others but the truth is that there is no correct engine its just a matter of what suits your fancy at the time.

The very early 289 shared the bolt pattern with the 260. I think it was halfway through the year that they changed the bolt pattern.

The reason I said '65 and stopped @ '72 is that by '72 they were pretty big into detuning everything. I don't think I would really want to bolt a V-8 that made any zot at all to the 6 cyl. Fairlane tranny.

'68-72 302s can normally be found in pretty good shape for some reason, or at least that's been my experience. I have no idea why it is.

Hey bigvicsd
    I can't imagine why you would but if you decide to loose that surge tank I could use it so think about me before you toss it.
    OK?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  7. hellbilly1932

hellbilly1932
    from San Diego

I say put a Y-block in it, but I am kind of partial to 'em.

Where you at here in SD?

8. Guess your right. If you're on a road trip & the Chevy breaks down there is always a wrecking yard that has the part you need.

I was always different building rides. Love to hear people say when they look at my ride "thats different"

9. Good thing that you decided to keep it Ford if you are going to sell it.One thing to remember is that the older Fords were made into hot rods and no one much cared if it had another make of engine in it.But by the 1960s guys who liked the Fords were Ford fanatics and if you put a sbc in that car you would have a devil of a time selling it.It be like trying to sell a 61 Impala with a 5 liter Mustang engine in it....some like the oddity but most would just want to puke.

volvobrynk and Drunk Man like this.
  10. bigvicsd

bigvicsd
    from san diego

will do

11. bigvicsd

bigvicsd
    from san diego

im in linda vista kearny mesa area

12. 1320/150

1320/150

You probably have a Star Trek collection too!!!!!!

13. The 61 is totally different than the 62, so what that guy did is not relevant to you. (also his comment about Ford's shifting too quick is crazy, that is just a out of adjustment or bad vacuum modulator.

As for your car the two engine options were the 223 that you have and the FE, available as either a 292, 352 or 390. The Y Block did NOT come in 61's

So the easiest to do would be an FE motor and FMX/C6 using factory stock parts.

14. No I thought I'd save those for the Chevy Owners, not enough left to go around.

15. flattopdan

flattopdan

The 292 isnt a Fe motor, that would be a Y-Block and they did have the Y-Block all the way up to 64, but was only available in trucks and in 65 the trucks went to a FE motor also.

16. My slip, I corrected, Thanks

17. There ya have it. Go the FE route. I wish mine hadn't been a 302. I would kill for a 390 over the 302 any day, but it was already done, and its in too good of shape just to hock it for a 390. Mind you, if the 302 bites the dust, I'll be building me a 390 with tri-power.

18. 1320/150

1320/150

I think a real hot rodder likes all makes and models for what they are!!! I also think its rediculous to throw in something a little different just to be a little different!!! If you wanted to be real different you should have put a slant six in that truck!! Their are some pretty interesting small block chevys out there. I am sure you've seen a chevy powered vehicle pass you by once or twice!!! That would make me puke!!!

19. flattopdan

flattopdan

Not a problem hotroddon, just don't want to confuse him. if it was me I would do what the other guys say and go with a 390 and a c6. Why not. More bang for your buck.

20. Where did you get the pic of the blue chevelle out of a comic book?

21. There are different modulators available from Ford as well as Trans Shops. It sure sounds like yours is either bad or the wrong one. I would look for a "green " stripe one for your setup.

22. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

WOW, a LOT of misinformation in this post.
    Flattopdan prettty much hit the nail on the head regarding the engines.
    In 61 you could get the 6, the Y Block and the FE.
    The 61 and 62 Fairlanes are, as someone said, TOTALLY different cars.
    The 61 Fairlane is the same car (more or less) as a 61 Galaxie/Starliner except for the rear window.
    A couple of things to be aware of.
    The headlight trim rings , if they're not messed up, will bring a fair amount of coin. They're just none out there, Galaxie and Starliner guys would kill for a good set. And if I could find even just the two outside ones, for a reasonable price, I would buy them in a heartbeat for spares.
    The rear window rubber seal cant be found, and most of the cars out there are badly cracked. If you find one buy it and resell it. One of the FORD supply guys have said in their catalog that they are in the process of reproducing them. But that guy has made that statment for about the last 8 or 10 years and nothings come of it.

23. How do you improve the appearance of a Chevy?
    Park it between two Fords

24. bigvicsd

bigvicsd
    from san diego

61 fairlane,
    i have an extra set of rings that go around the head lights that came with the car both sides i think ill have to dig through the boxes ...
    390 looks like what i will be on the look out for .
    thanks guy's

hey if any ones interested inthe ride pm me ...

25. Here I sit brokenhearted
    Wishing that my Chevy started
    But it didn't so thats a wrap
    I think I'll shoot this piece of ****

26. 1320/150

1320/150

that makes no sense!!!

27. Maybe this will...

I could never keep a Chevy under me, I was always under the Chevy.

28. 1320/150

1320/150

I still don't understand what that has to do with my car coming from a comic book? Now weve gone and fucked up this nice guys thread!!!

29. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

It would almost be worth more not running than it would with a Chevy engine in it.

30. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

I had a bastard 65 Fairlane -- I ended up finding a 32V 5.4 out of a Lincoln Navigator and trans -- Now we're talking, Really loved the car then, at least until someone else saw it and love it more and bought it LOL