Register now to get rid of these ads!

Milk truck wheels = crazy money

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392_hemi, Mar 28, 2006.

1. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

A guy wanted to do exactly that with one of mine.
    I just said 'I'll think about it".
    I'm not sure repops would ruin the 'market'.
    As Kevin said, there is not a big enough market for 'em. Well, not yet anyway.

Josh

2. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

3. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Took longer than I thought...

4. chickenshift

chickenshift

Hey that sure beats the $3500 for a set 4 years ago, even if they are repops.......crazy ass prices past few years for stuff like that

5. Wow...400 bucks a whack. I wonder if the price for orriginals will come down?

6. chickenshift

chickenshift

anyone know about the company making them?......

7. chickenshift

chickenshift

thats what i was wondering/hoping

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice.

And very cool of the guy(s) who put all of the work into this to offer them at a completely reasonable price. Can't imagine there is a very big margin there.

9. They look pretty good, especially for an aluminum wheel!

10. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

They are nice. Showed them at last years LARS.

11. 117harv

117harv

The wheels do look nice for what they are, an aftermarket aluminum wheel, but thats it. The whole purpose of making a repop is to fill a demand, it should be an exacct copy, or VERY close to the origonal. What if instead of repop steel 32 grill shells they were cast aluminum? What if repop 32 rails didn't have the reveal because the tooling was too much work/money to do and they said, oh it doesn't matter.

I know it would take $$$$ to make steel ones, but the rim part is available on the cheap, so you would only have to reproduce the center. They made steel dies way back then, it's now 60 some years later and manufacturing techniques are much more advanced....just my opinion.

12. Looks a lot like a Porsche spare...
    [​IMG]

I'm surprised these aren't showing up more often, especially since we're back to skinny tires. There's actually a wide variety in steel and aluminum, and they all have that kinda "vintage" look.

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

While I applaud the effort.....if a fella is building a "period car", those lack the details of an OG "milk truck" wheel....
    The price seems reasonable.
    I should have kept mine.....

14. doctorZ

doctorZ

i doubt it. repop stuff doesn't seem to affect the market for original stuff much.

15. mike hamel

mike hamel

The price definitely seems reasonable but those things look very different then an authentic Kelsey Hayes milk truck wheel. The valve stem dimple is much different then spokes are different. I'll try to post a picture off of their website and do a side by side comparison with a real one that I have. By the way. Milk truck wheels are not $3,500 wheels anymore, more like $1,500/$2,000 depending on condition for a pair.

16. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Interested to see this comparison. I'm honestly wondering if you're looking at the correct wheel?

17. the-rodster

the-rodster

[​IMG]

18. mike hamel

mike hamel

There we go! I wish the real one was more visible!

19. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The centers, where the lugs go, lack the "bumps" or triangles...and since these are a one-piece wheel, it doesn't have the same "look" as originals, since the centers aren't riveted...
    Those are pretty minor.....
    The biggest thing they lack is the CHARACTER of old, beat up steel wheels....:D

20. The one on the left is the new ALUMINUM version that a HAMBer is producing. Price is not bad either.

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Here is an original. mike hamel called out the spokes and divet for the vale stem specifically.

Attached Files:

22. mike hamel

mike hamel

That's a great picture, you can see the difference if you knew what to look for.

23. The lip on the tim also looks very thick compared to an original Ford wheel. I do give them thumbs up though, looks like a nice alternitive

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Editing my post purely out of respect for TV.

I love the idea of these wheels being available. I view them as modern speed equipment with a HEAVY nod to tradition. Real hotrod parts from real hot rodders.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  25. ems customer service

ems customer service

find the wheels maybe easier than finding someone smart enough to pay $3500

26. NoSurf

NoSurf

[​IMG]

27. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

I can understand the frustration of the guy who made these rims. I was looking into repopping the Pontiac 71-76 Honeycomb rims, but in aluminum. The response we got was a bit eye opening to say the least.

28. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

Tom and Kevin Vaughn who race a vintage 4 banger 27 roadster at Elmo and Bonneville had the milk truck wheels made. They used my original seen in the photo to copy. I have a set of both steel and aluminum wheels and other than the wider version it's nearly impossible to tell the difference, particularly once the trim ring and hub cap are in place (I understand Tom and Kevin are working on a stainless trim ring). One major difference is the weight, the originals literally weight 30 pounds each! Now that I have a set in aluminum it's doubtful that I would ever run the steel version. I suspect the would really look outstanding in raw aluminum or polished.

Geoffrey

29. brad chevy

brad chevy

There is alot of differences in the original and repop. Good try but try again.With the new machinery today repops should be identical,especially in aluminum.

30. plan9

plan9

define "A LOT"? ....other than what has been pointed out already.
    how would you go about implementing fixes? be mindful of budget and their usage (so drag racers and land speed racers can run them using contemporary high speed tires/slicks)

keep in mind repop magnesium wheels are $4000.00 and up. those appear to be EXACT replicas.

if painted with a trim ring and hubcap i doubt people would detect a copy.