Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 66JameStang

66JameStang

This is an awesome thread, so many great pictures! Cars were so much cooler back then, everything has kind of a laid back feel to me for some reason... I am sure that is just an impression...

2. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Yup. Doctor Pepper.

And, for what it's worth, Coca Cola DID have cocaine as an ingredient when formulated. Cocaine derived from the coca leaf. That's the origin of the name. Back in the day, cocaine was used, and accepted, as an "over the counter" medication. This practice stopped when the negative issues caused by it's use were discovered.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  3. MotorCityDeuce

MotorCityDeuce

Hey Dog: Do you know who this airman is? It looks like one of the troops I marched with back at Lackland AFB in '61.

4. Dog427435

Dog427435

Sorry - no

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

So much is better today and so much is worse.
    Today, you can drive a new car that doesn't need spark plugs replaced and you can expect to get 100,000 miles on your car without getting a "valve job" at 60,000, etc., etc.
    You can get your gall bladder out and be home in six hours instead of being in the hospital for days, etc., etc.
    But today lawyers and "political correctness" have both ruined our ability to communicate or live without fear of getting dumped on by someone.
    The ability to buy a home like I did when I was 22 is almost impossible today.
    My top-of-the-line Blue Cross medical coverage 25 years ago was $23 a month...today, I don't even want to know what it is.
    When I bought my '34 years ago, the guy who owned it and I agreed on a price...we shook hands...and he had the registration changed into my name before I gave him one red cent....because we shook hands on the deal and that was a contract.
    People today talk back to their parents, teachers and the police. In the 50's if you did such a thing once, it was pretty certain you wouldn't do it twice.
    So, you can't go back. All you can do is enjoy the technology that we have today and live by the standards of of yesteryear's respect and courtesy.
    That's the best that you can do.
    And, I suspect, that's why this thread is so popular.
    It reminds guys like me of the way we grew up and it informs, entertains and visually captures a way of life that's long gone for those younger guys and gals ...(see, today if you say "gal" some woman will get all pissed at you...sheeeesh)

Mia Farrow, Dean Martin, and Sharon Tate who was murdered while pregnant by the Manson Family in 1969

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

President Eisenhower getting roped by, I'm guessing, Monty Montana
    [​IMG]

Edie Adams
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Dino, Desi and Billy"
    [​IMG]

Diana Rigg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

uh oh...a lust-crazed convict

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charles Schultz
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buster Keaton

[​IMG]

Bill Cosby

[​IMG]

Bettie Page

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  6. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Used to be we never locked our door to our house in the 60's,
    we could play war up and down the street without anyone paying us no mind,
    we could trapes around our neighbors front and back yards without getting the cops called on us, used to shoot each other with bb guns,
    Our parents would let us play outside until dark, no cell phones, no computers
    And like Mazooma says, if we talked back to our parents we got it when Dad got home,, we didnt do it again.
    I got caught stealing once, had to work off the amount that I stole,
    then take it back to who I stole from.
    My Dad was tough and even though I was adapted, he taught me right from wrong.

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

maybe....he's in Lahaina, Maui...I have an email address somewhere...

8. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

One for Farmer Gal...

9. "get that junk out of my kitchen"

10. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

11. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

1959....Treasury Service.....

[​IMG]

12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Dog & Mazooma's photo storage computers....

[​IMG]

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this one album brings back memories...that's Wendy H. who was in my 1966-68 high school, She did some modeling on the side. I saw her a few years ago and she's still a knockout.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

a young WC Fields
    [​IMG]

riot on Wall Street, 1920
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess these coppers had to take a look for themselves to make sure everything was OK

[​IMG]

Spike Jones

[​IMG]

Shirley Jean Rickert one of the kids in the "Our Gang" films.
    In the second photo, she is the litle girl in the middle.
    After she grew up she did Burlesque
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sarah Vaughan (1924-1990)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qefW4d1fpk4

[​IMG]

Sam Cooke 1931-1964, shot and killed in Los Angeles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNO72aCnVr0

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one busy Elvis
    [​IMG]

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  14. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

That's a Power Wagon, no? Was that a common way to mount a .50?

As always, big thanks to all who keep this thread going with all these great images, and the information to go along with them. I owe you guys a beer!

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

[​IMG]

I was in love with Emma Peel :eek:..............i watched every episode of the Avengers she was in........... :D:D

[​IMG]

16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

The photo of Clark Gable on the motorcycle at IMS has to be earlier than 1958. The pagoda was replaced by a tower in the mid-50s, and it looks like a front-wheel drive Novi in the background. By 1958, they were rear-wheel drive roadsters. I suspect from the other photos that it's 1950.

Also, showing my age, I have great memories of the Buster Brown show, but from the radio.

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, man. I thought I'd already admitted I was off, but hey. I wasn't sure, so I asked.

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

QUOTE, MaZooma:
    So much is better today and so much is worse. Today, you can drive a new car that doesn't need spark plugs replaced and you can expect to get 100,000 miles on your car without getting a "valve job" at 60,000, etc., etc.

You can get your gall bladder out and be home in six hours instead of being in the hospital for days, etc., etc. But today lawyers and "political correctness" have both ruined our ability to communicate or live without fear of getting dumped on by someone. The ability to buy a home like I did when I was 22 is almost impossible today. My top-of-the-line Blue Cross medical coverage 25 years ago was $23 a month...today, I don't even want to know what it is.

When I bought my '34 years ago, the guy who owned it and I agreed on a price...we shook hands...and he had the registration changed into my name before I gave him one red cent....because we shook hands on the deal and that was a contract. People today talk back to their parents, teachers and the police. In the 50's if you did such a thing once, it was pretty certain you wouldn't do it twice.

So, you can't go back. All you can do is enjoy the technology that we have today and live by the standards of of yesteryear's respect and courtesy. That's the best that you can do.

And, I suspect, that's why this thread is so popular. It reminds guys like me of the way we grew up and it informs, entertains and visually captures a way of life that's long gone for those younger guys and gals ...(see, today if you say "gal" some woman will get all pissed at you...sheeeesh)

Jimi:

Mia Farrow, Dean Martin, and Sharon Tate during a happy time we all could share with them, via TV and movies! Mia was on a hit TV show, Dean was happily married and had one of the hottest variety shows ever seen on television, and Sharon was in a blockbuster movie. Who would have guessed the joyful equanimity (real or only what we imagined? A little of both, no doubt) would end, all too soon?

[​IMG]

Mia became involved in a bad marriage to an older man, Dean's home life fell apart, and Dean wasted away when his son Dino was never found after his U.S. Air Force plane went down during a training exercise. And Sharon ... to say that she was "murdered" by the Manson druggies would be like portraying the guillotine as a "surgical instrument."

I have to agree with 'Zooma: The time portrayed in this photo WERE good times. And it's not as though we didn't know it. It's just that life keeps barreling along, EVER changing. Before you can fully enjoy or savor ANYthing, you've grown a year or two older, demands have changed, and you must move on, too.

No, we can't climb into a "Time Machine" and re-live our best times, not for REAL. But we CAN do the next best thing: Reminisce, remember, open the photo albums -- real or figurative. Reminiscing is best done in the company of friends ...

then you don't miss so badly those old times, gone for good.

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Now, if you're good & eat ALL your lunch, we can go play on the monkey bars!

[​IMG]

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Looks as though Santa is giving her a choice for Christmas!
    Naughty or nice???
    [​IMG]

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yes it was 1950, he and Barbara Stanwyck were there promoting their 'To Please A Lady' movie. But he was quite a avid race fan also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Sounds a bit wild, but the soft drink Moxie was first marketed as a patent medicine in Lowell, Massachusetts. It was created in 1876 by Dr. Augustin Thompson of Union, Maine, putting it in contention with Hires root beer as the longest running American soft drink.

So, for some 135 years, Moxie has relied for its unique flavor upon gentian root -- probably better known to laymen by a more common name, bitterroot. Gentian has a long history of use as an herbal "bitter" in the treatment of digestive disorders and is an ingredient in many proprietary medicines. This notwithstanding that it has been around for centuries and was used by legitimate pharmacists and snake-oil salesmen alike!

Its use in Moxie -- other than giving the beverage its distinctive flavor -- was originally based mainly on a claim to pep up one suffering from fatigue or exhaustion, as well as general digestive discomfort or organic disorders. Pretty general bill of goods, eh?

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

THANKS to moxieworld, which also sells
    repros of this sign for a reasonable price.

[​IMG]

Months after signing Ted as front man, Moxie brought
    out Ted's Root Beer. Some of the signs being sold today
    are easily proven bogus by the 1952 copyright. Not only
    wasn't Ted endorsing root beer in '52, he was getting
    shot at on active duty in the U.S. Air Force in Korea.
    A sort of online alert was published on these "fantasy
    signs" by David Bowers of drinkmoxie.us.

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Lots of prohibitions on this beach, circa 1910, I'd guess. Must have been
    so folks could just concentrate on buying a Moxie, sit down and have their
    souls saved! (Should any HAMBer wish to buy a quality print of this vintage
    pic, an eBay seller, SkylarsStuff, has 'em for sale, reasonably priced. Search
    "Coney Island Preacher Moxie Soda in Back 4x6 Old Photo.")

26. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Indy 61, and Len Sutton enlisted Yogi, Quickdraw and Huckelberry (?) to be his ace pit crew.

[​IMG]

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Okay, I can't post a pic of the MOXIE Horsemobile here. It's
    an OLD car, but a new pic. But you can see it at the thread:
    "We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?"

29. alsancle

alsancle

Here is the link.

30. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Thread Status: