Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

This is cute!!! :D

Larry

2. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  3. bayboar1

bayboar1
    from arizona

N.H.R.A had a problem with a couple of what I thought to be good idea's too ! HAH!
    Keep me posted on any thing else about these little known warriors of the time

Gene

4. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Missing from "the List", but present earlier in this thread, these Ontarians:

1) Barrie Poole - Division 3; '64 Ford A/S, '66 Comets (GT Convert and Wagon, each known as "The Collector"), stepping stones to his storied Super Stock and (brief) Pro Stock career and still building fearsome FEs

2) John Elliot - Division 3; '67 Comet A/SA, a frequent National Class winner, tuned by Barrie Poole

3) Lynda Pleva-Phillips - Division 1; '67 LTD D/SA, also a National Class winner

Affiliated with Booth-Arons, but out of Toronto:

Lance Hill - Division 1; Z/28 (or would that be Zed 28 - a Zed in NED?)

How about the tuff Quebecers from Napierville era? Names?

5. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

I'm pretty sure the 1964 Ford Mustang Coupe 289/271 HP was classed in
    B/S in 64'.
    Of course B/S in 1965 too.
    Does anyone know what the name of the so-called trick headers that Ford recommended for those cars.

6. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Tri-Y headers.

7. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Joe,
    Thanks,,,,,,,,
    Belanger 'super tuned, long tube Tri-Y.
    Helped those 289/271 HiPo's get down there in B/Stock.

8. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

I also see a M/S car back there...................lol

9. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

My friend Charlie Hampp had a 1964 Falcon Sprint on which we put 60K miles in 18 months. His parents bought him a '66 Mustang coupe with the 289/217HP and told him NOT TO RACE it. I think it had 250 miles on the odometer the first time it went down the track.

Charlie let me drive a round of eliminations and I remembering being in B/S and having to run an A/S 1962 Biscayne 409, there was no handicap provisions in the timing system so the spot was in feet. I got a 15 foot handicap start. The Mustang was stone stock and did not have the GT package, thus no tach. I couldn't hear the engine over the 409 and didn't realize I was spinning like crazy as the Chevy sped away. The time card did not accurately indicate how fast the car would run because it spun so bad.

Attached Files:

10. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

TMcCrea,
    That looks pretty good for bone stock.
    In late 64' and 65' they kind of snuck up on everybody.
    With 4.10 gears, headers and slicks low 15.00's was the Ford Dealers Guarantee.

Those tape-measure handicaps were pretty cool!

11. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Belangers ad decal.

12. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Tri-Y headers did help the little 289's breathe. I had a set on my 289 '63 Ford Galaxie. And not being designed for a Galaxie chassis, I had to "pursuade" the collectors to get them to fit. Here's a pic of the car... regrettably sold it a few years back.:(

Anyway, back to the stockers.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  13. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I have only known Terry Zeeke Maxwell from the Montreal area as a SS racer. I wonder if he did much stock class racing?

14. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Zeke's a friend of mine...obviously once he was very tight with Ed Hamburger (Zeke ran the conversion plant in LaSalle for SLP's Camaro SS/Firehawk/early WS6 Gen-4 F-cars). Their business relationship grew out of their drag racing exploits. Zeke was a record holder in Super Stock with his '65 Malibu ragger, mid-'70s. I'll tickle some keys and see if he wants to show up, here. He's currently Shop Manager for John Scotti Collectibles and Classics in Montreal, and his former shop Zeke's Automotive continues in LaSalle under Doug Hoobin.

15. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Did those 65' Mustang Fastbacks 289/271 HP come with automatics in 1965, and
    run in C/SA.
    Dave Merkle out of Ohio, and Gene Collins too.
    13.70's @ 101

16. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Thanks for the words, Colesy!

As mentioned earlier, Canada "suffered" from many unique issues, 'way back when. Co$t$, for one, which meant we had to be "creative". What my late, lamented friend Len Corcoran referred to as "Lengineering"! So doorslammers was where we generally ended up (although Gassers and Altereds, of the day, fit well as well).

And yes, there were some "interesting" Canadian-made production ve-hicles, especially Pontiacs (as mentioned): 265/283/327/348/396/409/427/454 were numbers Americans didn't equate with Tin Indians, And Acadian/Beaumont/Laurentian/Parisienne were certainly French to most of you below the 49th. Add in the previously-mentioned '65 Falcon R-codes and some others and, well, poor pity the Tech guys, Down South...

Deseronto/Mohawk Dragway was home, mid-'60s, to the "Canadian Nationals" and, I believe, garnered some agate-lines in SS&DI and/or HRM and/or Car Craft. Certainly in Wheelspin News. There may even be a picture or two of Kingston's "native son" Bob Beazer, the Mohawk'd "anti-raindance Indian" that Barbara Parks personally commissioned to "do the dance" at many National events. There's a thread, here, mentioning "Beez"...who has a life-size poster hanging in Garlits' Museum in Ocala (Garlits was a guest at Beazer's infamous "Saturday Nite-before" parties when match-racing the local fuelish Rini Brothers @ Mohawk, but those are "stories" for another time...).

"Stocks ROCK!" Amen!!

EDIT- The Beazer thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266187&highlight=beazer

17. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

18. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Mel Burns Ford had the trick stuff for those Mustangs in 1965.
    The coupes for B/S
    The fastbacks for C/S

Had the AHRA B/S record with a 13.15 in early 65', with 4.89 gears.

For 1968 they were a perfectly balanced car for the stock classification.
    Coupe E/S (10.42 wt/hp)
    Fastback F/S (10.61 wt/hp)
    Convertible G/S (11.11 wt/hp)

19. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

I think he sold that place... Imagine, Bob sellin' somethin'...!

We spent a day or two together this summer, including him being Grand Marshall (!) at the Shannonville Reunion. Have you seen the thread, here, that Blown32 started, some time back? And do a search, here, of "Beazer" for other tidbits. He and Joan are truly "two-of-a-kind"!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266187&highlight=beazer

20. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Re: More Midnite Oil...

Very stout, in it's day, up here!

21. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Gene was a friend of mine and a partner on a 383 71 Dodge Challenger stocker. His 271 HP automatic Mustang ran a best of 13.23. I dont remember the MPH. He beat the Peston and Jenkins 62 Plymouth at Indy during class and won the NASCAR Winternationals in Daytona. I have heard he died from an auto accident in Florida several years ago.

22. Falconred

Falconred

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good info on the Ford stockers. I didn't remember the Mustangs classes at the time. CRS I guess.

23. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

24. dsa2207

dsa2207

Does anyone remember this 1970 Olds that ran out of Canton, Ohio in the mid 1970's? I've been looking for it forever but just can't seem to get a lead on it. I think Jim sold it in 1977 to someone in Wooster, Ohio and that's all anyone seems to know. Hopefully, someone on this board just might know of it's whereabouts. The vin begins with 336770MXXXXXX and the paint is 10 10, trim is 934.

It's the first stocker I ever drove so please contact Craig @ 404-274-1003 if ya know something. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Attached Files:

25. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

Tri-Y headers not only worked well on fords.
    In 1970 Bill Jenkens did the motor on Callahan and Sulc's 62 Plymouth "Villian" and recomended to Frank Sulc that if he knew someone that did headers.
    I built him a set of Tri-Ys to within Jenkin's specs.
    Guess what ! - - they worked, as he won Stock Eliminator at the 70 Gators.
    Frank was to have put my name (LAW) on the car but didn't have the time to get it done. He said Hooker wanted to put their decal on in the Finals but Frank was nice and told them NO.
    I also build a set of fender wells for Tritak and Morgan's "War Wagon" with the big diameter front tires and they won the Cecil Points race in 68. Jerry Stalh told him you couldn't do that because there wasn't any room. Tritak never put my name on their wagon either. I believe Hooker gave them both free headers.

Just a note to Rich Beibel: Al Olster's car (69 Camaro) had a "Jenkins motor" and Walt and I went with Al to pick it up and we built and mantained the car right from the dealer in PA, Armon R. Smith Chevrolet. After he sold it then it had a TK motor.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  26. AHotRod

AHotRod

That's a great picture ^^^^^^^ ..... a Division 3 car.

27. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Did those 289/271 HiPo 4-speed and automatics use different CFM-rated
    Autolite carbs.

13.15 @ 105 MPH

In 1968, the 65' Coupe was in the same class as the 68' 340 Cuda, E/SA.

28. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Lou you probably don't recall but I once had a '58 Pontiac street car and was messing around with racing it. The only headers I could find were junk and you and Walt said you could build a set on the car. Joe and I attempted to tow it down to your shop one evening in the middle of a snow storm!!! Not to good an idea flat towing....We canceled out and said we'd get it done at a later date.....something got in the way and it never happened.....That car sat idle and deteriorated. I decided to just send it to the junk yard and kept the engine parts I had. Those parts sat in my basement for probably 20+ years before they to got scrapped. I had an orginal Rochester F.I. unit and sold that many years ago.....I had the F.I. fender emblems stuck on a wall untill a few years ago...I sold them on Ebay......

As far as Al's car's performance and the history of who did what...you would know much better than I about it's history.......Obviously you did things that did not get credited properly.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  29. greggallo

greggallo

I don't remember what he called the Nomad, but I know it was painted orange and I thought it re-surfaced as a bracket car in the early 80's as the "Fun City Hauler". I remember Tony's Anglia being purple and called the Super Grape, and the Camaro was green with a black vinyl top and it was the Super Melon. When Jay bought it he named it the "Kiddie Kar". Whenever there would be a call over the PA for a small block head gasket or some other part, if Jay had it, it was yours. He was one of those guys that you would meet and think, I want to be like him. ................

the fun city hauler was around since 68 as a jr stocker run by pat gallo it was orig owner by the winski bros and named the kilbasa hauler it later was sold to nick katsunis

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  30. greggallo

greggallo

at westhampton

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012