Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford truck cabs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3Kidsnotime, Dec 16, 2010.

1. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Looking at a 40 ford 3/4 ton has the ugly front end wondering if the half ton and 3/4 ton use the same cab. If I were to purchase it I would want to install a half ton front clip for what I have in mind.

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yes, you will need the 1/2 t chass or a car chassis too. good luck finding a good clip, they are getting harder to find.

3. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Thx! I have a gasser build in mind I know of a tilt front end.

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

keep us posted on your project

5. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Not sure if this will work for you but several people on here have installed the Willys glass tilt front end on these pickups. I have one and it looks to be a cheaper route than finding the original stuff. Best of luck

6. mj40's

mj40's

Yes the cabs are the same thru 46. The differance in the later ones is the gas tank being under the seat. The cab I'm using is a 46 on a 39 car frame. I will be using the 40 pickup fenders and hood.

Attached Files:

7. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

What are you going to do with the larger truck front end. I have a 40 ford 3/4ton that has a jacked up grille . Would you be interested in selling your front clip. Thanks, Charlie from UTAH

8. 66L-79

66L-79

Charlie if he does not want to sale his front clip I have one that I am going to remove, not trying to butt in just letting you know. Thanks Wayne

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

A 35-40 car or 1/2 ton pkp thru 41 chassis will be essential in building you trk as I half ton 40pkp. As has been stated, you can use car fenders or buy fiberglass (I like Wescott best) fenders for both ends and mack hils can help with either just parts or a whole bed. You might consider running without a hood until you either find one or come up with an alternative solution.
    Good luck, Al

10. I have this to get rid of:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. mj40's

mj40's

40 cars fenders are differant but have been used. My pickup had a car fender on one side and had a 1/2" gap down the cowl. It has been changed now.

blacktopicasso- Front clip was sold long ago but I do have a friend that collects big trucks and sells parts. Your email didn't work for me.

Attached Files:

12. George G

George G

[​IMG]

Thanks for posting this. I always wondered about the diff.

13. mj40's

mj40's

14. So i can bolt 39 deluxe fenders on the blue cab above? I have a 39 fordor.

Attached Files:

15. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

I would like to see a little more info on the Willys to Ford front clip.

16. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Your ugly 40 is called a Standard Truck.
    The goodlooking 40s are called Commercial Trucks

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The front fenders and grille on this truck are from a 39 4 dr deluxe sedan.

Attached Files:

18. mj40's

mj40's

39 Deluxe and 40 car front fenders are the same. Pickups are different as in the diagram above. As I said before the car fenders will bolt up but the cowl flange has to be flattened some or it will form a gap along the fender cowl line. And pickup fenders do not have the three extra bolts down the fender line. They have one bolt and bracket at the top and simply bolt to the running board at the bottom.

19. Anybody know who these people are? I would do a search, but I'm at a loss for what to search for:confused:

If anyone has pics or names of people doing this, please post. I would love to see how this works. I have access to a free cab if I want it, but it's been stripped pretty good. no front sheetmetal, glass, chassis etc. It's just a bare cab with some pretty beat up doors, but with a willy's flip front......

20. mj40's

mj40's

If anyone is interested, I bought a pair of 40 Ford pickup rear fiberglass fenders off of Ebay. Nice people to work with and quality fenders. The passenger fender does not have the spare relief in the fender. He prices them at $395 a pair with a best offer. He will take $350 and bused them to me for $100. They are out of Mentor, Ohio. PM me if you want a phone number.

<o:p> </o:p>
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/40-Ford-Fiberglass-Rear-Truck-Fenders-/130435408944?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1940&hash=item1e5e8e6430

[​IMG]

21. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I actually had two willys conversions owners that I was talking to but I don't remember their names, one was from the Indy area, I think if you search willys/dodge some one is doing it with a dodge also.

22. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Try P.M.ing nutajunka
    he's out of Indy area

23. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

What is a rough idea the flat head core is worth?