Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spray on Chrome..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IrishHills, Oct 28, 2010.

1. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

I appreciate the apology. When I finish the jobs I have going right now, I'll try to do some samples. It's a little windy around here right now. They may end up in your yard down there. I have some Sherwin-Williams black base and the clear to go with it. You may have to remind me. I forget alot- we'll blame it on the paint fumes.

2. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

We all make mistakes, Thanks for your forgiveness..:eek:

Thanks...:p

oh yeah I have sherwin W as my top coat favorite till this point..

No kidding, one day I got very sick because I forgot to use my mask while using 2k Paints...:( no I know better

3. chanda1191

chanda1191
    from Iowa

We are now accepting pieces of any size for this advanced spray on technology. We are not using any of the well known brands as they did not work for us! We have started using a company called pchrome. Will be posting pics soon.

IchromeFX
    3339 Lincolnway
    Ames, IA 50014
    515-441-3504

4. Mahkwa

Mahkwa
    from Indiana

I've seen this same truck 6 mo. later what a mess

5. darkk

darkk

All and all, it's still only paint and will have the same problems as paint does when exposed to sand and rocks on the road. The lower on the vehicle the item is, the more apt it is to get sand blasted and rock chipped...

6. Manche

Manche

NICE! too bad I havent seen it yet, in uruguay, despite there's people willing to buy it

7. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I have read these posts with interest and would offer that POR-15 produces a couple of clear coats that may work well with these silver coatings. The product that I have bought and used is called Glisten-PC, it is a 2-part urethane that (I have been told) is used by various wheel manufacturers to protect polished aluminum and chrome. It is very durable and is crystal clear...even after extended periods of time exposed to the harsh elements of highway driving. Glisten-PC is made to be applied over polished metals and seems to be a perfect top coat for this spray-on chrome. I am not sure when I will have the time to test this product but offer the suggestion up for others who may want to give it a try. Pelucid is the other clearcoat made by POR-15 but it is a single stage product and is recommended for interior parts.

8. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

This again?…….8 pages?……really?

The real thing is still around for a reason
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  9. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Obviously there's interest, if you're not interested don't read the replies.

10. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

I gave it a try. The 1 Pnt kit cost around $900.00. Buy the time you get it prepped prefect!! and then paint the black, polish it, lay on the chrome let it dry for 6 hours and then clearcoat the part and polish the clear. It's cheaper to send it to the plater. But it's neat effect for something special or you want to be different.
    The Old Tinbasher

11. ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sounds like a carbon copy of my experience with Spectra Chrome. Rip off of the century! The whole spray chrome thing is nonsense!!!!!!!!

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I didnt....what would be the point

13. fryguy

fryguy

How many brothers do you have???? I have 2 and my mom went crazy raising three boys . . .

Fryguy

14. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Actually on my test pieces the one that its holding for the 3drd consecutive week under water without signs of tarnishing its a piece I did with a clear base coat of Permalac and a topcoat of 2k polyurethane.... the guys selling Pchrome are Peacock labs they have being in the business of making mirror chemicals for decades they know what they are doing...

EDIT: Why use 2 coats?(permalac and Sherwin W 2k top coat)? well because I have not get my hands on the Permalac 2k... Yet...

15. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Thanks for your help....together we can help each other...

16. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

as nonsense as making mirrors..;)

there was no need to have spent that kind of money when you could easily can reproduce the same results(good or bad).. with less than 1 grand..;)

next time don't be so quick to judge..at least they have posted their MSDS

17. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

More on the Pchrome

this guys just started a few years ago.(seeing how other companies were making huge amount of money on their systems). Sadly I think they came to the game to late as the damage was and is already done by inexperience companies selling dreams they could not backed up..:(

peacock labs have being in the business of making top quality mirror for decades, they have perfected a never seen before 2 part silvering formula(all of the other guys including the so call spray on chrome use a 3 part system)..how is 2 part system better than 3? when dealing with complex chemicals, less steps increase constant results by several magnitudes.

their Chrome chemicals are just re batched 2 step silvering mirror solutions(S-300) double checked MSDS just to be shure..:D but its ok they cost the same..

aside from their high tech silvering formula, which its not that necessary if you want this to be a hobby thing instead of business(consistency)

aside that they have what I believe a superior coating in the name of permalac 2k, its a special catalyzed out door lacquer, now I know what you must be thinking! lacquer? I know the bad feeling one have when lacquer its mention, but keep in mind this lacquer its no an ordinary lacquer, it was made to protect bronze and copper structures from tarnishing and its one of the Few mirror backing coating professionals use as most coating will tarnish the silver because they have minerals that will react with the silver with time..(not immediately) and its catalyzed, I have only used their none catalyzed form protected by 2k Urethane top coat
    [​IMG]

having said all that, I will probably use only their permalac coating as I am able to produce a mirror like surface using home made formulas, untill I get enough money to purchase their entire kit, except their over priced silvering gun which is a rebatched Paasche silvering gun, plus I made mine myself which set me back about 25 dollars...

18. Nicamarvin- Whatever, dream on dude. You have officially pissed me off.

You quote everyone and pick apart what they say like your you're god's gift to chemical fucking engineering.

To be such an authority, may I ask where you recieved your degree from?

The spray chrome industry has multi-million dollar potential. Many corporations, engineers, and chemical labs are working towards cracking the code on making a truly bulletproof system so they can capture those millions of dollars. Even the big auto manufacturers are spending millions trying to figure this out, but some guy in his 3rd world garage is going to figure it all out. Ok, sure.:rolleyes:

As for whatever little back room experiments you are doing down there-
    It really doesn't matter if you're not going to be putting out a product that can A- retain it's appearence for at least 5 yrs. B- be applied without majical powers, and C- be safe enough to use and sell in the U.S.

Are you doing any long term UV testing? I mean there aint no reason to do this work cheap. Therefore, If you take a customers money, can you be assured that he won't be on your doorstep in a years time with a baseball bat when the work turns colors or peels off?

Are your chemicals legal for sale in all U.S. states?

Is the use and disposal of your chemicals going to effect anyone's health? Is it going to get someone fined, sued, or jailed? The U.S. ain't Nicaragua.

Etc Etc Etc, I could go on and on.

In other words, don't sit there in some 3rd world country like you are some fucking know it all authority. To be taken seriously, come back in a few years when your work has been out in the environment and your system has proven to be viable and profitable to those who would buy it, then you can be an authority.

19. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I Dream therefore I exist...:cool:

you are only mad at yourself..

I have done my research for over 2 years as I just don't have the money to just buy what's offered at the moment, had you done the same you would've known that you Do NOT need to expend more than 8 grand on just equipment, but how about chemicals? well that will depend on what you want to do, if its a hobby you can get away by using home made formulas...if you want to do a business? they just set up a quality spray guns set up for less than a grand and if you want quality professional grade Silvering chemicals you have guys like Alsa corps, Peacock labs own silvering formulas(the only ones with High tech 2 part silvering chemicals), you have guys like Jema American, and even Spectra Chrome sells individual chemicals, they all are able to produce

Yes indeed, could an average joe reproduce "Similar" results under a Budget? that's a big Yeah...

there is NO code to be crack here buddy..this thing will only last 5 years top, but if you can produce good results with a low budget then, you just Re do the piece...and if one wants a bullet proof coating, then they can always try PowderCoating the metal piece...

just watch how Some Guy shows you how you could have wasted less than 2,200$ in the same manner you wasted 20 grand....

I don't Want to sell this in the U.S.A I want to show people that are interested in this subject how to do it without expending an arm and a leg and if all fails then they wont be so upset because they didn't expend that much money....

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  20. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

i don't have one, can i try yours?

21. Deuces

Deuces

Keep that up stain and yur gonna get booted!

22. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

oh come on! no since of humor?

geez. a hotrod forum with no since of humor.. who'd a thunk?

23. fauxsmobile

fauxsmobile

i used the Kustom Krome (stuff you find on ebay)on the bummpers on my olds and it looks ok, kinda like weathered stainless.sorta like the gloss black instead.

24. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I don't understand if some one doesn't like a thread or a post why do you stop and comment. I could understand if the poster was suggesting using poly line for brake lines, something that could kill some one, but nicamarvin is just posting his findings in a amateur experiment. I find posts on the HAMB by DIYers interesting, I've gain a lot of helpful information for these types of posts. Lighten up, if you don't like the subject matter skip the thread, don't be a hard ass about. Just because you've invested thousands of dollars in a dud system don't get ticked is some one is coming up with the same idea at on 10th the cost and is getting the same results.

25. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

this easy How to will explain on how you can go about wasting about 2,000$ just to learn Spectra Chrome Sucks...:mad: you can expect Bellow results.. but don't worry you get too keep about 500$(Hardware) of that money to keep testing different Spray On Chrome Chemical System

Items need it:

Hardware
    "Spray On Chrome:(Mirror Silvering) Special gun: 275$

Sensitizing Gun(to apply the stanous cloride aka Sensitizer): 165$

Water Spray gun(to rinse) 36.50$

Air Gun: 18.50

Additional items like air and liquid hoses and gravity siphon bottles: 100$

CHEMICALS
    Spectra Spray on Chrome package: 1,600$ (the hard ware set up can any silvering chemicals)

you think its too good to be truth?..:eek: yeah me too, but it aint check bellow pic and video to see this simple set up doing its magic..

[​IMG]

and here is the Video the guy its using the Pchrome system but heck this its a very very good system and you can use anybody's chemicals..:p or you could expend 8 grand on the Spectra Chrome System

That was the easy way to find out Spectra chrome sucks, now finding mistakes are easy, finding the right path to go about its Harder....:eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  26. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

I Tried to look for that "Kustome Krome" in ebay but was not able to find it, it must be a chrome like paint like the alsa mirra chrome instead of the silver nitrate kind of "Chrome"..:confused:

27. fauxsmobile

fauxsmobile

yeah its just like the alas only 1/4 the price but worked the same. for 60 bucks it made the custom bumpers i made look like weathered chrome or stainless not to bad but nothing like the real thing

28. nicamarvin

nicamarvin
    from nicaragua

Are you talking about KemKhrome?
    I bet it was all good and shiny untill you clear it?....well here its the secret on how to prevent that..

get yourself a Water Based polyurethane clear, now I know its a tricky paint to apply but it does not have any solvents(its solvent its water) so it wont disturb the microscopic aluminum flakes and you get to keep you mirror look, you can clear with Acrylic Enamel or Urethane clear coat later on..

EDIT: my How to set up your system(silver nitrate) its on page 9...

29. interesting.. Imlay City is only an hour away from me, if their prices are fair may have him do some stuff for me

30. Ok Marvin, Yes I spent 20,000 and you spent $2000, but spent $2000 on what? You really haven't done anything or proven anything yet. Seems all you have done if fugure out what DOESN'T work, but yet you have the attitude that you know better than everyone else. Go ahead and do the best silvering job you can on a bumper, bolt it onto a car, and lets revisit it in a year, then you can be Mr Knowitall.