Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here into large scale (1/8) car models???

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Deuces, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Ralph Henderson

Ralph Henderson

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
    61falconwagon and kiwijeff like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

3. olskool34

olskool34

I hand built some 1/8 scale bodies for a few years to keep me busy during the winter. I made them for remote control chassis's so I could drive them around. Here are the three I have done so far. All hand made from sheet styrene. Each body took me about 90 hours.

my 57 ford

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my willys wagon

[​IMG]

my willys pickup

[​IMG]

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

NICE bodies! Man, you should have had them cast for resale! Gary

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hey Ralph... neat stuff as ususal. I'm still waiting for Cartoon to pipe in here, too. Gary

6. olskool34

olskool34

I have looked into it and asked around but never could get enough people to commit to buying them for my asking price so it never happened. Still trying......

Here is a construction shot of the 57 after I finished the stock bed.

[​IMG]

MO_JUNK likes this.
  7. pstreet

pstreet

I got hooked on large scale stuff when i was recouping from an accident a few years back. So much more rewarding than the smaller kits.

I started this 32' kit, ill finish it one of these days and until then it can dust/rust on the shelf
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a toy of the sheriffs car in the disney CARS movie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Lindberg Exterminator is a real fun kit, looks great under the dust.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. Deuces

Deuces

They're all lookin' good guys!! Keep up the fantastic work! :)

9. Mudgy

Mudgy

Wow!
    You fellas have done some great work. I have a Monogaram "Golden Tee" that I cut up and put on a 1/10 RC car..skeleton driver & passenger, and a coffin trailer home made.
    I cant put my fingers on the photos, but heres a coupla bodies I did for a Parma '37 Chev RC car (1/10 scale, sorry!)

Attached Files:

10. Mudgy

Mudgy

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any video of it going?

12. Mudgy

Mudgy

no, I cant drive n film at the same time. I did a shakedown run in January this year, I was surprised. I thought it would just roll along, building speed. Turns out it had some real poke, but my test stopped due to the grub screw in the sprocket to axle was the only screw I hadn't tightened up. I got some motor issues now, it fades away when you give it some.:( I managed to get 17,500RPM out of it before. Not bad for a 2nd hand saw.
    here's the 'chute (Mk III)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz13UHEhiPo

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  13. Deuces

Deuces

So they're 1/10... Big deal!... Them are radical dude!! :D

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is my old 1/10 scale R/C car, 32 Coupe with a blown Hemi!!!

[​IMG]

Doc.

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

Nice one Doc!! :) Is that a 1/10 Parma 426 engine kit you have in there??? I've got one laying around somewhere.....

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, the whole kit is Parma. When I built it this was my first flame job and it didn't come out too good. I was having trouble masking it in there so I used Testors Maskol, that drew back as it dried and left the ragged edge. I couldn't see it as it had dried too clear............... oh well, next time I will know better.

Doc.

17. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Does anyone know if there are 16" Ford or Kelsey Hayes wire wheels available for the "Big Deuce"... Something to fit the tires in the kit?

I only need 2 for a project I have in mind...

thanks
    Zach

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Zach,
    I think the wires in the RM Jag XKE kits are the only thing close, at about 16". The Lindy wires and tires (catchy, eh?) are smaller in diameter, as you probably know, at about a puny 14". Sorry, I only have one full set left and I can't spare any for your project. Gary

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure that there is a metal set available, they would be VERY pricey though!! I will keep looking and post a link up when I find them.

Doc.

20. Deuces

Deuces

Look up the thread on this site "Model wire wheels" or something like that...

21. From the Scalemotorcars.com forum:

Hello , thought I would share some of my scale model wire wheels I build, been at it for about 17 years and make many differant styles as well as materials.I have made wheels for many people all over the world and have enjoyed the challeng it brings. I started out building the for the tether car guys and now do hem for scale builders as well.The hardest wheel I have done so fare is the Barroni wire wheel which is a 72 spoke wheel and have done it in 1/8 scale to fit the big deuce tires.I sell them as well as trade, fell free to contact me or e-mail me with questions, I will help if I can.The first two pictures are of a 17" Kelsey wire wheel, then the Barroni, then a 7" motocycle board track racer wheel, then some misc as well as some shots of cars with the wheels. Chris 209-743-5596 or [email protected]:D<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Don't get the thread sidetracked to 1/12,10,8th R/C or I'll have to spend the rest of my time taking pic of all theses things stacked in my office.

I have a couple of the Parma coupes and Lil Red Wagon's around here to build someday. That is, if I ever get around to the plastic kits and other projects yet unfinished.

23. Hey Guys, I have a 1/8 scale Jag kit as shown in the photo below. A friend was tossing this out when he cleared out his storage unit and I saved it figuring I'd find some model person needing parts. I doubt it was complete before I got it and it is partly assembled anyway. It does have the rear suspension, engine and wheels I know you guys could use for a rod build. I want nothing for it except shipping costs. I can rebox it into something smaller and figure a large flat rate box at the PO for $11 will work. Anyone interested?

Attached Files:

Deuces and kiwijeff like this.
  24. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks for the help everyone...
    I was hoping there would be something plastic available for a pretty cheap price

HJmaniac, those are beautiful, I was actually considering making a pair in a simlar fasion if necessary...
    I likely don;t have enough money to be able to aford yours:(

Sent a PM on the jag!

Thanks alot
    Zach

25. Those wheels are not mine. They belong to a kat named Chris. I found the link on the net.

26. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I just got in some nice scale stainless steel braided line. It's real stainless steel & has a core through the center so it is pose-able and stays round. I sell it by the foot. $3 shipped to the continental USA. I have a limited supply of this & once it's gone I don't know when or if I will get more. I have about 50 feet. Available in lengths up to 5 feet. PM me if you need some or feel free to email me at [email protected]
    Thanks
    Jim

27. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah! I'll get it off your hands! send me a PM!! thanks!

28. Jag kit taken and paid for, thanks Al. Thank you to everyone else who responded, wish I had more to give away.

29. Deuces

Deuces

Someone got lucky! :) That kit came out in '63 I think...

30. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Anybody ever do the Revell Triumph drag bike? I have an unbuilt kit but I'm not certain that I have all the parts.:D