Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to lower my 53 Chevy truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by orula, Nov 29, 2010.

1. orula

orula

Hello everyone,thank you in advance for your help and your advice.
    I'm doing a restoration on my '53 Chevy truck and I'm doing a lot of updates. I installed a front end IFS Mustang II Air Ride and Rear 4 link bar. I had two C-Notch to drop the rear frame. Can I install only Shokwave in the rear instead of installing the air bags and shock absorbers? What other changes do you need the frame?
    Many many thanks. Frank

2. orula

orula

Hello Guys, in the meantime I did some work to lower my pick up. I try to insert some pictures and tell me what you think

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. orula

orula

On the rear:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Wow...good looking work. This could be a informative thread for someone doing the same. If you have not bought your shockwaves yet i would recomend using reg style bags with external shocks. I had a set of Shockwaves and hated them...minimal travel and a hard ride. You willl get alot more travel and a much better ride and save a boat load of cash!! Good luck man!

5. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

very nice work. please keep the updates coming. this is very imformative. thanks a million. have a good day

6. TMoney

TMoney

I've heard shockwaves wont travel as far. There is no replacement for a good set of normal bags. Shocks are the easy part anyway. Awesome looking work though man. That thing is LOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!

7. orula

orula

Many thanks guys, for me it is an honor that you appreciate my work. I studied a lot and saved thousands of photos to learn and of course you are my teachers, so I thank you very much for your help. I will continue to add photos and I will be happy to help someone. On the back I thought to install a pair of Shockwave 8000 Black Series 5 "Stroke, what do you recommend for me? Thanks again

8. Nice! Where did you buy the four bar set up from?

9. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I would stay away from them..there are better and less expensive ways that will give you a better ride for a little more work and I see you have the fab skills that should make it easy...save your money and fab up some supports for a set of 6inch bags and external shocks...you will be happier in my opinion.

10. orula

orula

This is a rear 4 link Heidts brand and I bought from SummitRacing. Unfortunately I live in Italy are penalized for the high cost of shipping and taxes for purchases in the U.S. for the heavy parts but the passion to have an American car was too strong for me and now I want to take this project forward.

11. orula

orula

Thanks Chevy54, I just have to find the right position to install the airbags (you said this?) and I will try to capitalize on your valuable suggestions. I hope to find a suitable space that does not hinder any movement. Sorry for my english. Many thanks

12. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

From what I can see from your pics....I would install 2 cross members at the top of your C-notch, one both front and back then make plates over the axle housing and install your bags directly over it. Looks like you have plenty of room for it to work at a 1:1 ratio. Then mount shocks on the backside or rearend. I would also install some rubber snubs from a traction bar setup in your C notch so there is no metal to metal bottom outs! Just throwing out ideas if you have not already thought of them.
    BTW..English is perfectly fine man!

13. orula

orula

Thanks for your advice Eric, just yesterday I welded the Panhard bar on the C-Notch.Should I weld the other two brackets on the rear-end and two on the Panhard Bar for the installation of airbags.
    Congratulations on the car of your Avatar.Many thanks and you have a nice day. Francesco (is my real name)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thanx...You should be able to fit a bag in between your panhard bar mount and the C-notch.... Just fab up a upper mount for bag now off of what you have there. You will be glad u went the bag route over shockwave im sure.

15. Hondo78

Hondo78

Very nice work, I am about to cut into my '36 frame as well and followed the warnings about the Shockwaves, as easy to install but lacking in the ride department. My '54 Chevy PU project is next and you have given me the bug to cut it up and drop it this winter.

Great work, also cool wheels in the back ground of the first photos black wide rims, fit a Jag 5 on 4.25"??

16. Wvgearhead

Wvgearhead

Looks good man!

17. orula

orula

Thanks for the compliments Hondo78. The wheel rims you saw in the first photo are preliminary and were of a BMW 320 5x120 bolt patt, 16x7".
    For my Chevy pick up I took 4 Wheel Vintique Chrome Smoothie 15x6" front and 15x7" rear with Bullet Style center caps.

18. orula

orula

I'd love to hear your opinion. Not be long before it comes time to paint the frame of my truck. I thought about doing black with silver details, but thinking it would not be a bad idea to do white...:rolleyes: White frame, rear end and various components in silver. What do you think? It would be folly to paint it white and silver? Many thanks:)

19. orula

orula

Hello everyone :), please I need some advice from you. Should I buy the kit for Air Ride (Air Tank,Dual Compressor ecc.) and I wanted to ask you for advice between these two brands: AirZenith or RideTech? There is a kit that I really like and it is this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...70517006094&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123 ....
    I do not know if you can say ...?

I decided to paint the frame in White, what do you think?
    Many thanks. :) Frank orula

20. orula

orula

Hello guys, today I will post a slide of my truck from the beginning till today. Click on the picture below

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  21. orula

orula

Hello Guys, here is the kit I chose Air Ride,arrived this morning and I hope to install it. I will keep you updated. Bye

[​IMG]

22. bstie

bstie

That kit looks nice let us know your thoughts on installation and how it works, Your truck looks great so far.

23. FLAHotRodder

FLAHotRodder
    from Ocala,FL

nice work on that notch! I got my bags from Arrowood Rod & Kustom here on the HAMB..very nice guys to deal with and amazing price..I looked at the kit you bought, but waaaay too expensive for what it was..keep us updated

24. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Grande lavoro, un esempio per tutti noi!

25. Nice work. I love the color combination. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

26. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

You need some American Sailor/Soldier/Marine/Airman friends to help you with your shipping <grin>

27. Subscribed! Great looking truck, and work. Looking foward to following your progress.

28. orula

orula

A huge thanks to everyone.
    Here are some updates. Yesterday, after having thoroughly cleaned the frame and welded the brackets for the Air tank I finally painted the frame and I hope you enjoy it. I used the first two coats of PPG epoxy primer, then a PPG two-component acrylic paint finish. I quickly assembled the elements of the rear end during the week I also install the front end....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think, you are my teachers and everything I do I learned thanks to you. Many thanx Guys

29. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Looks great...very nice fab work, it might be my next build too!

30. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Awesome work. That frame looks really sharp in white.