Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Beebe Bros, Vinson, & Sixt "Cackle Car"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE-SYNDICATE, Dec 10, 2010.

1. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

welcome to the hamb. are you going to be building some kinda kickass push bumper for that truck?

2. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Thats cool Dad..... I promise this will be bitchin....

3. R
    O
    C
    K

On....great thread on so many levels.

What sort of engine specs are you aiming for?

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

Deuces likes this.
  4. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

For Sure... I'm not totally set on how it will finish up and I don't want to get into too much until the car is built and on the ground. I haven't quite figured out where that Push bar really is in relation to the ground so we'll wait for now.

This Bullet will be comprised of the following:

1. 1957 Block
    Bored and Honed to hopefully 4.020" It should clean up fine....

2. Billet Alum 4-Bolt Main Caps.

3. Stock Front and Rear Caps "All locked in place with ARP studs"

4. Stock Crank with all the gucci treatment.

5. Brooks Alum Rods, Stock length of 6.956"

6. New Pistons, most likely from Venolia. Shooting for 0.250" Down on these.....

7. Engle L-131 Roller Cam.

8. Crane Roller Lifters

9. Reworked Oil Pump by Jim Swedburg all tricked out for Nitro Duty...

10. Stock Oil Pan reworked to fit the chassis.

11. Donovan Diamond Gear Drive

12. Stock '57 392 Heads with mild clean up in the ports.

13. Standard Valve Job

14. Stock Iron Guides

15. New Stainless Valves, Intake and exhaust sizes TBD....

16. Stock Rocker Assemblies but with Either Donovan Exhaust Rockers or one of the new aftermarket set ups. I can't run the big new billet jobs because I have to stick with the stock steel covers. And I would prefer to not run valve cover spacers.

17. Stock 671 GMC blower reworked by Mooneyham on top of a Cragar Alum Manifold

18. Enderle Shower Head Bug Catcher with all the proper set-up for running Nitro.
    Note: I have heard about setting these hats up to have more nozzles in them than just to original 2 from the side. This can be done and everything can be concealed within the HAT for proper looks.... I will investigate this more as time allows. This car had port nozzles on it and I intend to put them on as well. But I might just simplify the system and run all the fuel thru the hat and not mess with the port nozzles... i.e make them a dummy set?

19. Blower drive will be the same as original in that the car will not have a idler pulley. I will make spacer plates to go under the blower in order to get the right tension on the belt. This was most definitely a signature feature of the car in its original format and I want to maintain this look. The final drive should be about 20~24% OD.

20. Scheifer/Cirello MAG with Packard Wires and Auto Light Plugs....

That's about it for the motor combo!! Should make huge noise and provide a few good smokey burnouts.....

Did I mention Autolight Plugs??? Well ya need to proper 6" decals for the rear seat to show your support!!! Here they are:

[​IMG]

Hmmm... Let's see.... 25~30 MPH, Horn Honk, Clutch out, Oil Pressure Up, Throttle Open, Count to 3, MAG ON.... BOOM!!!!! Let's Party!!!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
    Deuces likes this.
  5. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Right on more history.

6. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Is that Chassis Plan available as a scan somewhere? Just love to collect those old plans and stuff. Keep up the killer build!

7. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

That plan is for a 1964 Woody Gilmore Car. Look up "riceman" on here and PM him. He did this drawing for his rebuild of the Brissette and Sutherland Fuel Car.

Check It out....

http://cacklefest.com/Brissette.shtml

8. rick finch

rick finch

19. Blower drive will be the same as original in that the car will not have a idler pulley. I will make spacer plates to go under the blower in order to get the right tension on the belt. This was most definitely a signature feature of the car in its original format and I want to maintain this look.

The Surfers did the same thing.....;) Keep 'em coming, great job.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  9. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Here's a great shot of the car from Above... This is taken from the 1966 Drag racing Mag article.

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  10. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

And do you see those nifty little breathers on top of the valve covers??? Too cool... Gotta Have um! Well I'm not sure if these are the absolute correct units but they are really Damn Close.... Close enough!!! Steve Sellers had these cast up and I was able to get the last set he had in stock... Here they are on their own:

[​IMG]

And here's a trial fit on the IMPERIAL covers....

[​IMG]

Just Right!

Deuces likes this.
  11. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Keep it all coming!!!

Oh and I really liked this.
    Hmmm... Let's see.... 25~30 MPH, Horn Honk, Clutch out, Oil Pressure Up, Throttle Open, Count to 3, MAG ON.... BOOM!!!!! Let's Party!!!

That should be your signature! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

12. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Good Call Mr. KING.....

Done deal... Hey did you get my PM about the prints?

Lemeno?

~Berto

13. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Where did you get thoses chassis blue-prints?

14. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Just look up "riceman" on here... Roger Lee. PM him and he will sell you a set. Great prints. I use them as a reference but they are for a Woody Gilmore car... Slightly different than my deal...

Roger is a Kick Ass dude and has done a bunch for the Cacklefest Movement... Major History Buff...

Cheers,

Robert M.

15. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

No PM from you , if you were talkin to me in the quote above. KING

16. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Time to show a bit of the progression of the car thru time!! The car rolled out in the Candy Purple configuration that has been shown so far in the post and this is how I will present it when done.

[​IMG]

But this car lived a long life and had many faces over time! Like I mentioned earlier it made the long trip down under and finally ended up Truly DownUnder by being buried in the Dumps!

Let's look at the first face lift... It's my belief that this occurred sometime in 1966. Maybe towards the latter half of the year? Here we have the car switched over to Candy Blue Paint and the crew in a crisp look!
    [​IMG]

Another great shot from above with Dave dropping the Hammer! One thing to notice is that the rear tires are a little further back than before??? Well true!!! The rear end was moved back about 3" in this phase. I will show the evidence of this soon but for now you gotta take my word for it! It was an easy way to put the motor out without completely rear halving the car....

[​IMG]

Here we have the car still in Blue but with a new Shoe in the seat... Now John Mulligan has the reigns and we are entering the mid 1967 era....

[​IMG]

Not too long after this we get the BIG change in the car... It rolls into Frank Huzars shop, RCS, and gets the front half treatment! Take a look!

[​IMG]

Some sissy bars are added to the rear section as seen in this shot...

[​IMG]

And here's a great one of Mulligan get'n hot!!!!

[​IMG]

Wait.... What's all this talk about Mulligan???? Wait, Beebe and Mulligan??? That right... Dave and Lee Sixt had moved on at this point and a new core team was tearing up the tracks all over LA as well as out of the state.... Tearing up calls for a true fancy look! It's BIG TIME BOYS!!! Over to Hanna's shop and lets get some tin work!

[​IMG]

And there you have it! Ready for the 1968 season and the classic look we all know so well.... The Fighting Irish are now on the scene and ready for action!

Fire the next Pair!!!

~Robert

17. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Another great shot from above with Dave dropping the Hammer! One thing to notice is that the rear tires are a little further back than before??? Well true!!! The rear end was moved back about 3" in this phase. I will show the evidence of this soon but for now you gotta take my word for it! It was an easy way to put the motor out without completely rear halving the car....
    ~Robert[/QUOTE]

I at one time owned a Dragmaster car that someone had moved the rearend back quite a few inches. Dont remember how much. But quite a few. I guess it was more common than I thought.

Very interesting story you have going. Thanks, Brian

18. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

The car first started out with an Olds Rear End as did most of the cars of that era but was quickly changed over to a 8 3/4" Chrysler rear end. According to Lee this happened pretty soon as they were breaking the Olds constantly... Then they did the move back about 3". You can see the Double rear-end uprights very clear in these pictures....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then you can see some of the inside details from this Bitchin X-Ray Drawing that was done of the car.

[​IMG]

More Data!!!

19. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Cool to see you are running one of Jim's oil pumps. It's a small world. Jim has been around Hemis's since day one. He helped me a lot on my blown 392 including a beautiful job porting the heads & intake.

20. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Yeah Jim is awesome!!! Huge help... Really knows his SHIT! I have several pages of notes from him on tips and tricks for the motor. I've got to check one more thing but I'm about read to fill the block up this next week and let it cure before hauling it in for the final machine work...

This just arrived today!

[​IMG]

21. RossPreen

RossPreen

Hey Robert.
    I only just found this thread, you've been holding out on me mate :) great progress reports........you're havin too much fun with this.
    Keep it up, you're being watched :D
    Ross.

22. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

Hi Robert. The progress is amazing, at the rate you are going I think I will book my trip to the 2011 CHRR as soon as possible. Good luck with the build. Bobh

23. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Just located this thread and have subscribed. One thing you will notice is how quick to help all of guys involved with cacklecars are. Having been involved with the NHRR cacklefests (see link in my signature for details), I can attest to this first hand. Good Luck with your build Robert. You are off to a great start. At this pace, you might have it done for 2011 NHRR:)

24. Subscribed for sure...I love this car and have for years!
    I have that drag racing magazine article and was just going through it the other day...weird.

Everything about that car is cool,from the color scheme to the dark-colored butterflies and headers...it's just the ultimate early FED dragster to me.;)

Looking forward to more progress pics...I was in the wine biz for many years,what winery do you work for Rob?

25. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

Awesome build/thread! Cant wait to see the final piece. My dad and "The Zookeeper" were tight so I have always been interested in anything he drove. Keep posting......

26. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

A little back ground here folks... These 2 fine gentlemen along with Rod Bradshaw are THE driving force behind the bounty hunt currently going on in Australia. If it were not for these guys, "Mate's" I would still be in the dark on a bunch of shit. I can't say enough about the dedication and support thru this deal... And I can't wait to toss back a few with them in person!

Cheers,

Robert M.

27. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

Mate when we toss a few down it will be your Shout! So dont toss too many down or it will be at your expense.

28. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Amen to that... The outpour of help has been nuts.... I have learned that when in doubt you MUST ask the question... You never know what will come up when your chatting with someone! It's also amazing what will turn up on the 2nd phone call...

John, I hear ya! This car have been my Favorite since I was a little boy... It just says RaceCar to me... Super simple Super plain.... Nothing but Haul-Ass material...

On the wine front... I am in the Custom Crush business with a few other guys and we own:

"Copain Custom Crush" www.copaincustomcrush.com

Cool place and a bit crazy at times! :) We knock out about 60,000 cases per year spread across about 35 different labels. All good stuff!! And lots of it is Pinot Noir!!!

29. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Here's the latest pice of Yum Yum to arrive..... I have been struggling like a SOB to find one of these Hats. Yep It's an Enderle Bug Catcher... But, It's the original ShowerHead style that had a thin mounting flange, and the 2 side ports to take the nozzles in it. Well I could have bought a new one and done some cutting and hacking but I really wanted the Right Stuff. All it took was asking the question! I posted this to a Drag race e-mail group that I'm on and had 2 offeres in less than 24 hrs.

Funny Side Note.... I also posted this to the Nostalgia Funny Car Board, in their Classifieds Section. I had lots of looky loo's but only one response. Classic Scam'ing Proposition from some Ass-Hole. I knew it right away but I continued to dick with him for a bit before he finally bowed out!!

So anyways... On with the goods! Check this thing out! PRIMO....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riceman had a Barrel Valve and I just need to redo the anodizing on those butterflies to match the orig version.... So Slick!

30. Subscribed, I can't wait to watch the car come together.