Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sectioning Camaro clip/stub?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bretcopsey, Dec 13, 2010.

1. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

I searched, but didn't come up with any details on this.

For those that have narrowed subframes, what did you do to compensate in the steering and sway bar? Is there something from another vehicle that will swap over, or did you section them the same amount as the crossmember?

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I saw a guy who did these clips in the mid 70's in Cincy that just cut it all down the center and welded it back. He was a great welder (had to be) He did at least 5 clips that way that I know of, no problems. Not sure I would go that route

3. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

My rear steer subframe was cut 3 inches down the center. The center steering bar was also cut 3 inches with a grooved sleeve which was welded on the ends and down both sides of the groove - like a taco!!! Never had a single problem and I put 100K miles on that frame. No sway bar but the same type of sleeve should work.
    Most people doing subframes use front steer because there easier to come by but if you want narrower why don't you use a s10/gbody to clip it?

4. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Check the HAMB classifieds or Ebay for a February 1991 issue of SRM. Allen Moore did a really good tech article on narrowing a subframe. He also detailed on narrowing the steering arm, to include making simple jigs. Check SRM's online tech section too.

The artice is titled: TIMELESS TECH: I.F.S. that F.I.T.S

5. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Did a rear steer on my 41 several years ago,narrowed it 4", cut and sleeved the sway bar, it drove & rode great. Only problem I had was engine set higher than I preferred and was tight on driver side exhaust manifold, but the stance was nice & low.......................

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If at all possible try to avoid narrowing your subframe. Use narrowed control arms.
    Heidt's makes them. Picture is of a 1979 Trans Am -front steer.

Attached Files:

7. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

19Fordy, if you only need a inch or two it will work great if you got the $600.00 dollars to spend for the narrowed control arms, but if you put a camaro/nova clip in anything prior to 41, (Im not sure about non Ford cars) and you don't want a nosebleeder you gotta cut them, I've been there done that, and if I'd had the cash at the time I would have used a mustang 2.
    Later,
    Billy

8. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

The new frame I'm building for the 46 has the heidt's IFS. crossmembers are $300 or less shipped and if you can sub one you can put a crossmember in.

9. edweird

edweird

i gotta nova clip under my 53 stude coupe. narrowed it 2 inches. i found the centerline and marked 1 inch on both sides cut it there including the centerlink. if i had it to do again, i would use an s-10 clip.

Attached Files:

10. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

This comment will probably get my ass ripped, but now your talkin.......:D

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i would consider the S10 or even Dodge Dakota front stub. at least take a look. they are cheap and easy to find. the Dodge is ofcourse wider than the Chevy. the older Dakotas are 5 lug already but i'm told (have not confirmed this yet) that you can put the 5 lug rotors on the 6 lug spindles. i'd do a little research first though.
    for what it is worth i have a 5 lug Dakota frame under my 48 Chevy truck. i'm redrilling a new set of rotors to a Chevy pattern to match the Camaro posi rear i have in it.

...just something else to consider.

12. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i put a s10 clip under my 53 ford...i dont care what ANYONE thinks about it..i love it..drives great and was super easy.....

13. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

I love the way you guys think, but I think on here we are a minority.........

14. edweird

edweird

S-10 clip i put on a 49 ford sedan. Perfect track width.

Attached Files:

15. edweird

edweird

S-10 chassis i put under my 52 dodge.

Attached Files:

16. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

edweird very cool lookin Dodge, post some more pics that we can open up.............:D