Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Chrysler Spitfire straight 8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billybillyjinx, Dec 12, 2010.

1. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

I'm beefing up my Saratoga, SBCs are cool in their own way but not for me, I like my flathead inline 8. I have 3 Stromberg 97's that I'm making a log for and a guy the next town over will help me make the headers, I may have a cam ground for me in the future. Also adding some suspension upgrades. Any way are there any suggestions for what to do to that engine?

Does anyone know any info on the specs for my engine? things like the compression ratio, max RPM etcetera.

Any speed equip for that engine? I doubt there is I haven't found anything yet for the 8 cyl.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Edmunds dual intakes, dual point breaker plates, Mallory ignition ... that's about all the over the counter stuff. Clean up & match the ports & mill the head, & a good ignition will help. That weird trans behind it is going to absorb a lot of it.

3. Choff

Choff

I have all the stock specs for this engine, I also have a 1950 chrysler straight eight with original auto trans, I am putting my engine in a 1929 dodge coupe, will scan specs and send over tommorow.
    I did find an original dual carb/exhaust manifold from a dodge truck 413 straight six, will be using the carb setup and making a header for the engine.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It sounds goofy, but. Dave Dozier had a B&M blower on his in thr Hegarty Airflow and it went 149.

5. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

I knew Edmunds made an intake for the 6 cyl but where can get one for the 8 cyl? Where can I get any of the parts you mentioned for that matter? As for the trans I may be getting an adaptor made for a th700r4 from an old Trans-Am but I'm not sure yet. The novelty of a fluid drive is cool but the lack of rebuild parts and lack of power as a result of using the stock 4speed is not very exciting. the engine is capable of taking 400 or more CFM with the 3 97's feeding it that's 450cfm and the progressive linkage will keep it from bogging down at low RPM but if I get a cam done I can feed it a little more. a set of 3 Stromberg 47's would give it roughly 525cfm with all 3 opened up....I only have one 47 though and they are rare, that and I don't want to repaint the 47 as it still has the original Ford authorization sticker on it.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you want to hop up a Chrysler straight eight you need to be willing to make what you need. If you are going to insist on buying your parts out of a catalog, better look for a crate 350

6-bangertim likes this.
  7. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

I'm with you. The heck with bent engines, everyone has one. I had a '39 Olds two door with a straight eight more than forty years ago and it was great. My latest build is a straight eight, too, but this time a Pontiac. Mockup photos attached. Good luck with your project!

Attached Files:

8. hemislave

hemislave

Earl Edgerton [Edgy Speed Shop] in Utah can help, He was in Hot Rod not to long ago I beleive. makes heads,cams,and intakes for the mopar straite 8s. prolly not cheap though.

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

Does the car have the M-6 semi auto 4 speed with fluid clutch? I think a few guys back when figured out to to make than tranny shift better as in more like a 4 speed manual.The tranny has electric-hydraulic stuff and one way roller clutches to allow auto shifting ,at least in each of the two ranges.But it's all mechanical stuff,no band or friction cluthes like a regular auto tranny.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  10. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

It is the M-6 if you have any info on modifying that or can point me to who I can ask PLEASE DO! That would be great.

I figured as much, that's why I already started making the intake and will be having a guy bend the pipes to make the headers for 40 bucks. Besides even if I could afford a crate 350 I wouldn't want one. I like having an original engine with my own additions and modifications. If there is an over the counter ignition upgrade as said before that has my interest for sure.

11. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

baknthday a buddy had a Chrysler 6 with 1938 overdrive floor shift, was great in his 39 Plymouth 2dr. Look around you might find one.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Or maybe Santa Rosa, Ca.

13. interstatemaster

interstatemaster

A guy in Minnesota has a hopped up flat head Chrysler that he made a three carb manifold and found the end carbs frosted up even in warm weather. He had to run a coolant hose the length of the bottom of the manifold to fix the icing.

14. I have two of these engines a '41 and a '47 they are big but they can be very healthy too. The Airflow Dave Fox talks about was a really stout piece of machinery and man the motor was pretty.
    As for intakes I saw one here in the classifieds key in Chrysler straight 8 in the parts section , it was in with a bunch of early hemi engines and parts. It was a two pot Edmonds intake and I would guess it is still there.
    I have manuals for both the car and marine engines that I could reference if you need info. PM me and we can exchange ideas. Rob.

15. Choff

Choff

323.5 1950 Chrysler straight eight, with the M6 auto trans. installing in my 1929 dodge coupe, lots of work ahead., Will be putting on a dual carter B & B' carbs and making a dual exhaust.

100_0143[1].jpg

100_0187[1].jpg

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  16. 73RR

73RR

If you run out of options with the M-6 you might consider an A904/A500 Torqueflite or a 5/6 speed Dakota trans.

17. Choff

Choff

Do you have any leads on making a trans adapter plate for the 323.5 chrysler flathead straight eight engine?, I would like any trans other than the M-6 Stock trans.
    Thanks

18. 73RR

73RR

Since I am not sure exactly to whom your question was directed, I'll take a chance and...

I have trans adapters in stock for the Mopar flathead 6 and 8 engines to use the A904/998/ A500 O/D or any of the Mopar manual transmisions.

Gary

19. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Does he make stuff for the 8s? Or just the 6s?

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I think only sixes. Why don't you call or email him. He is only over in Santa Rosa. He has a web page

21. 73RR

73RR

If Earl is unable to help out with the 8 call George Asche and ask the question; 814.354.2621

22. Choff, I like the look of the engine in place. How much did you add to the frame or is that just a patch? Rob.

23. Peter C

Peter C
    from Mexico

The little roadster with the Straight 8 is fantastic.
    As soon as we are settled in New Mexico I plan to start gathering parts to build a Special with either Straight 8 or simalr nostelgia motor.
    I already have an idea of what I want it to look like and I'll build my own fiberglass body.

24. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

Talk to Pat at Wilcap. I talked to him last year, he was really helpful. He said that another modern starter can be used (Dodge Dakota starter maybe? I forgot what he said) I'm still running 6v for nopw and I want to keep the stock leviathan of a starter because it looks cool so when and if I actually get the plates made I may have to grind or cut the bellhouse of the new transmission. If you use the starter from a later vehicle to clear the bellhousing he said you'll need to mess with shims. He quoted me something like 600 or 700 dollars if memory serves...I asked a few people though that may be some one else's price, I get confused easily.

25. 73RR

73RR

What, exactly are you trying to accomplish??

Your stock 6v starter wiil not work with any late trans adapter package unless the adapter is for a gm trans and the block plate is specifically made for that starter. If you use a gm trans then the adapter plate might possibly be designed for the old starter but then the flexplate/ring gear will also have to be specially designed for the pinion gear on the old starter. (Or, with enough money, you might be able to modify the starter for a different pinion.)
    With these kinds of one-off parts you would be lucky if you could buy either adapter part for $700.

You old starter will not work with any late Mopar trans because all late Mopar starters mount direct to the bellhousing. Yes, again, you could invest a pile of money into modifying your old starter but to what end?

26. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

It would be a th700r4 transmission from a Trans Am that my friend has so it would be a GM transmission and the plate would be custom made for the application. I was told that I'd probably have to grind or cut the bellhousing of the trans that's going in because the nose of my stock starter is so huge. I would like to be able to use a Borg Warner T5 transmission but I was told that it would be a very hard thing to do. That trans was used in Chevy S10s, Ford Mustangs, some Isuzus and I think some Hondas used it, they are easy to find. It was only Borg Warner til about the mid 90s I think then some other company started making the T5. It's versitile with a lot of aftermarket adaptors for most makes but for what ever reason they told me I would have to build the bell...Don't know why I can't use a GM bell and clutch with hydraulic controlls but I'll figure out if that's an option when I decide for sure if I will replace the transmission or not.

None of the adaptor parts are over the counter, they'd be made to order by Wilcap.....I'm pretty sure that was the name of the place I was reffered to when I first started thinking about a trans swap last year.

27. 73RR

73RR

So, is using a 60 year old starter really that important?
    If you want to use a gm trans then buy a gm adapter and whatever starter is required. Yes, it will be a 12volt. No, by the time you have all of the 'special' parts, the swap will not be cheap. The t-5 will use the same basic adapter package as the 200/700/th350, ect. The flywheel will be a custom part from Pat, at Wilcap, and will be expensive.

The adapters that are ready made and available will be about 1/5 the cost of a 'custom' piece.

An AX15 is a much cleaner swap IMHO, but then I'm biased.

28. billybillyjinx

billybillyjinx
    from Upstate NY

This goes back the the 8 cyl problem, there is a kit for a T5 to Chrysler Flathead 6 but aftermarket parts for the 8 are almost nonexistant That's actually the only trans adapter I have ever heard of but still have never actually seen, as for the starter the kit that would be made would be for a later model Dodge starter if I went with a starter swap, but that set up takes lots of shimms and trial and error. I'd rather just remove some material from the bellhouising, fabricate a cover to keep dirt out and not worry about it and still have my big stock monster turning the flywheel.

29. neogator26

neogator26

Who are the guys that you think figured out how to liven up this tranny?
    I JUST purchased a '49 Chrysler New Yorker and it has the 323.5 I-8 and the semi-auto tranny.:D By just I mean I won't actually see it until I fly back stateside. I believe it's an M-6 but can't find any pics, parts or info on these transmissions. Also can anyone verify or discredit the claim that these I-8's have weak bottom ends because of the 5 main set up?:confused:

30. 73RR

73RR

There is not much 'hot-rod' support for the M6 or any of the semi-auto transmissions. If you are doing a resto then rebuild parts are out there.

As I said before, there are adapters for using late overdrive transmissions, both the automatics and manuals. Wilcap can adapt the GM units and I have adapters for the Mopar units, but generally, these will require a 12volt starter. Not always, but generally. Check my web site if you need those details.

The 'other' manual transmissions, like the t5, can be adapted to a stock flathead 6/8 standard trans bell, but not the m6 type bell.

Just not sure what you are up against with this...the flat 8 has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the 6. The 208-218 uses a different flywheel from the rest but that is about all.