Register now to get rid of these ads!

1966 comet???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rose Racing, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Rose Racing

Rose Racing

I ran across a 66 mercury comet for sale and was wanting to buy it for a project car but I cant decide a good engine to put in it:confused:Im going for an A/FX look but I could never afford a cammer I would like to use a nice small block with maybe a tunnel ram?Soo what should I use?

2. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Neat cars, but FNG you might get a little bashing soon...

3. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

FNG or not.........for an F/X car you MUST use an FE in there...........a simple wedge will work fine.....no need for the Cammer. Most used a standard 427 with 2x4s. Am in the middle of a build on one now. A small block, 351 or a 460 type is a definate no-no for the FX look.

Mark

4. Rose Racing

Rose Racing

maybe a 390?

5. Rose Racing

Rose Racing

for what???

6. yeah id run atleast a 390

the bashing you'll get is because of the year of the car your asking about ........

7. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

Your first post was this, but you did go back and do a intro. and some feel 66 is to new, I have no problem with it but some purist HAMBER'S take offence.
    As far as the car build a FE with the look af a 427 dual quad, be a cool build.

8. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Here you go,to the haters !

Use a new Intro ,

It will power ya down the road and everyone will be happy in the end...

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wonder if the name "Doug Nash" rings any bells around here?

10. Rose Racing

Rose Racing

well a 66 is an odd year its between the altered wheelbase 64s and 65s and between the super stock and pro stock era of the late 60s soo I figured go backwards to the A/FX look

11. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The factory experimental classes were extinct by 1966. Some of those cars were raced as stocks and super stocks successfully, but the really legendary '66 Comet was Eliminator I, which had zero parts in common with a production car.

12. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

check FE forum for some info/parts.

13. Rose Racing

Rose Racing

well who makes a good dual quad FE manifold?

14. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

On my BT 427 used offy, I like them a side hung float Holley will fit end to end. These are actually 750's I put early side hung float bowls on.

[​IMG]

15. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

ford

16. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

" For an FX car you must use a FE ". Yes he did say A/FX but Not for a B/FX car. Use a small block 289/302 and you will be fine. It should be noted that some B/FX cars were also 427 cars

17. skidsteer

skidsteer

I vote for the 390. 1966 was the year that the Comet Cyclone was the Indy 500 pace car, and that's what it had. I'd also look for one of those fiberglass hoods that were available that year.

18. Rose Racing

Rose Racing

The only hood place I could find was crites and theyre web site has been down for awhile

19. 53 effie

53 effie

Go with an FE 390 or larger. Blue Thunder reproduces the 427 2x4 intakes. Those are very good from what I hear. Originals come up often on that auction site.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wait-who are you-did you buy the car? or are you just dreaming? you got the bucks/talent to build a car like you are dreaming about?

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As someone mentioned FX was extinct in '66. '64/'65 comets ran B/FX with small blocks, Doug Nash probably being the best known, galaxies with 427s also ran B/FX (Hoeffer Bros, Ed Terry & others), as did f100 PUs, or at least one did.

22. Rose Racing

Rose Racing

im an 18 year old who works at a body shop and it should be an affordable project and no I havent got it yet but I plan to and idk how much actual talent I have but doesnt mean I cant try ok

23. Rose Racing

Rose Racing

Blue Thunder stuff looks very promising!!I have a buddy who runs a dragster that has theyre 460 heads and they look like quality pieces!

24. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Nobody was debating the year the class died. He just wants an F/X look. pointing out that not all F/X classes were big blocks. Another 427 Galaxie was Jerry Harvey's Bob's Ford car. Fairlanes such as Drokes 65 Thunderbolt also ran B/FX and had a 427.

25. 76cam

76cam

Id go with the 390 you can get a nice manifold for it from dove or i got mine from speedway it was the cheapest and its edelbrock.But like they say the fe is the way.

26. tpw35

tpw35

Go with an F.E. a 390 is a great choice and has the right look.

Attached Files:

27. 66 is a little new for most of us but never the less I would shoehorn an FE of some sort in it. A lot of them got raced that didn't run a cammer.

The trick to getting the FE in without major mods is to use 427 low rise heads. That will give you clearance to bolt up an exhaust.

Happy motoring

28. 64T-bolt

64T-bolt
    from Kansas

This website here will get you engine parts:

http://www.dscmotorsport.com/

also try Holman Moody's website for some cool FE stuff. Just get a 390 and buy a stroker kit for it and get your install parts from Crites. Put some Wheel vintiques Mopar steelies on the back (OE 98's i think), and some Torque thrusts on the front.

This site has a ton of good info to search out but starting threads (as you are learning) is kind of shady as the site is composed of about 70% purists that would put a truck load of Catholics to shame with regards to pointing out whats wrong about you/your ideas vs. actual productive, useful information. . .

Good Luck with the car, nice to see an 18 year old desiring old shit rather than evo this or v-tech that. .

29. Falconred

Falconred

There were several comets in the '66-67 range that ran SS such as the Barry Poole car and others and there were also some that ran in the US or ultra-stock classes which were closer to the old FX cars than the flip top cars were. I have some photos if I can find them. The Ultra-Stock class cars were more stock appearing than the flip-tops and were more like the FX cars that had frames built to add to original firewall back bodies. Most used steel bodies with glass parts like the '64-65 cars.

Hard to be a good FE in any '60s Ford. Chech the FordFE forum.

30. Rose Racing

Rose Racing

ok I would love to see those pictures thanks and some very good ideas on the 427!!!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010