Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

2. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

3. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

4. I worked for Tom Smith, during the 70s. we built several t bolts.

<HR width=800>

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=400 background="" bgColor=white align=center BODY><TBODY><TR><TD>[FONT=arial,verdana,impact]<CENTER>[/FONT][​IMG]</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD width=800 align=middle>This vehicle has been built specially as a lightweight competitive car and includes certain fiberglass and aluminum components. Because of the specialized purpose for which this car has been built and in order to achieve maximum weight reduction, normal quality standards of the Ford Motor Company in terms of exterior panel fit and surface appearance are not met on this vehicle. This information is included on this vehicle to assure that all customers who purchase this car are aware of the deviation from the regular high appearance quality standards of the Ford Motor Company.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR width=800>

<CENTER><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=800 bgColor=white align=center colspan="2"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[FONT=arial,verdana]<CENTER>#1 Romy-Hammes Ford - Dick Brannan[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,verdana]Thunderbolt #1 went to Ford's rising star, Dick Brannan. This car originally had the unusual "cloverleaf" hood scoop and the fiberglass front bumper. After Brannan was done with it, #1 bounced around several owners in Southwest Michigan. It was painted aqua blue and lettered as "Hullabaloo" and then "Thunderball." Eventually a collector snapped it up and had it restored to it's 1964 appearance. Is now owned by Don Snyder, who also owns several other ex-Brannan race cars. [/FONT]
    </CENTER>
    </TD></TR><TR colspan="2"><TD align=middle><CENTER>[FONT=arial,verdana]Image Gallery[/FONT]</CENTER><TD align=middle><CENTER>[FONT=arial,verdana].[/FONT]</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR width=800>

<CENTER><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=800 bgColor=white align=center colspan="2"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[FONT=arial,verdana]<CENTER>#2 Bob Ford - Len Richter[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,verdana]ThunderBolt #2 was one of several cars that went to Bob Ford in Dearborn. Bob Ford covered the original burgandy paint with an attractive shade of gold with a black roof. Len Richter was the driver who grabbed the 1964 AHRA championship in this car. In 1965, Bob Ford employee Ken Vogt took over the driving duties, with Bob Ford sponsorship continuing and another color change, this time being bright yellow. It was eventually sold and it's next owner painted it blue and orange with "Expressway Gulf" lettered down it's flanks. It continued tearing up Detroit area dragstrips in the mid-60's. Dennis Kolodziej found the car in 1982, still in Detroit, and completed a restoration to it's 1964 appearance in 2004. [/FONT]
    </CENTER>
    </TD></TR><TR colspan="2"><TD align=middle><CENTER>[FONT=arial,verdana]Image Gallery[/FONT]</CENTER><TD align=middle><CENTER>[FONT=arial,verdana].[/FONT]</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR width=800>

<CENTER><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=800 bgColor=white align=center colspan="2"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[FONT=arial,verdana]<CENTER>#8 Tasca Ford - Bill Lawton[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,verdana]One of the original 11 Vintage Burgandy cars, Tasca Ford's Thunderbolt was masterfully driven by Bill Lawton. Tasca added their logo and lettering, and gold paint on the roof. Like all the others, #11 was an old used-up race car in 1965 and it was sold off as Lawton moved on to an AFX Mustang. It's new owners put it through a typical mid-60's transformation, turning it into an radical altered wheelbase car. In the process, it lost it's entire original floor and front clip assembly. It was purchased in the late 80's by renowned restorer Randy Delisio, who replaced all the missing sheetmetal and returned it to it's original Tasca livery. [/FONT]
    </CENTER>

<HR width=800>

<CENTER><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=800 bgColor=white align=center colspan="2"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[FONT=arial,verdana]<CENTER>Jim Demmitt Sr.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,verdana]California based Jim Demmitt Sr. purchased his Thunderbolt through Lafayette Ford in 1965. Sponsorship came from McCullough Racing Cams, a close friend of Demmitt's that made cams for the 427 Hi-Riser. Other sponsors were Bruce's Tires of Oakland Ca., who made special compound slicks for the car, and Doug's Headers with their tuned headers. Demmitt ran the car at the famous West coast tracks Vaca Valley and Fremont, where it was one of the winningest cars. The car competed at Sears Point in 1969 in a special bracket race, beating 101 cars, Gas Ronda also won in his funny car that day. Ronda and Demmitt were good friends for many years. The car was very consistent and ran in well into the 10's. Demmitt would frequently pull the motor and put it into his 1957 Thunderbird and run B/MP, then back into the Thunderbolt it went for Super Stock races. The Thunderbolt is now in a car collection in New York. [/FONT]
    </CENTER>

<HR width=800>

<CENTER><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=800 bgColor=white align=center colspan="2"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]

</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,verdana]<CENTER>#51 Mike Byerly[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,verdana]Sold by Ed Martin Ford in Indianapolis to Chris Stauffer. Driven to a AHRA National Record by Nike Byerly in 1964. Photos shot at the 2009 Thunderbolt Reunion in Dearborn, MI. [/FONT]
    </CENTER>

<HR width=800>

<CENTER><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=800 bgColor=white align=center colspan="2"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]

</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,verdana]<CENTER>Brent Cover[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,verdana]This Thunderbolt was sold by Allan Brothers Ford in Port Clinton, OH. This is one of the rare automatic transmission cars. Photos shot at the 2009 Thunderbolt Reunion in Dearborn, MI. [/FONT]
    </CENTER>

<HR width=800>

</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,verdana]<CENTER>Bob Phelps[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,verdana]This Thunderbolt was sold by Bill Rhodes Ford in Jackson, MI., and driven by Bob Phelps. It is another rare automatic transmission car. Photos shot at the 2009 Thunderbolt Reunion in Dearborn, MI. [/FONT]
    </CENTER>

<HR width=800>

</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,verdana]<CENTER>#63 Howard Neal[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,verdana]This is the "Strip Teaser" Thunderbolt campaigned by Howard Neal and Bob Thomas. It was sold through Gilmer Ford in Ellijay, GA. It has been owned by Dennis Kolodziej since 1977. Photos shot at the 2009 Thunderbolt Reunion in Dearborn, MI. More photos can be found here. [/FONT]
    </CENTER>

<HR width=800>

</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,verdana]<CENTER>Milo Coleman[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,verdana]Sold by Walker Ford in Treasure Island, FL. to Milo Coleman with an automatic transmission. Photos shot at the 2009 Thunderbolt Reunion in Dearborn, MI. [/FONT]
    </CENTER>

<HR width=800>

</TD><TD>[FONT=arial,verdana]<CENTER>Hawkinson Ford[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,verdana]This Thunderbolt was originally sold by Hawkinson Ford in Oak Lawn, IL with an automatic transmission. It was "tubbed" for Super Stock racing by Wolverine Chassis for Barrie Poole in the early 1980's. Ford collector Brent Hajek owned it for awhile, then it was sold to Al Rowland. Current owner is unknown. Photo taken at Milan Dragway in the mid-90's. [/FONT]
    </CENTER>

<HR width=800></CENTER></CENTER></CENTER></CENTER></CENTER></CENTER></CENTER></CENTER></CENTER></CENTER>

5. The Humpin Henry Tbolt is in Lubbock Tx in a warehouse. I was going to restore it but the owner is a flake. It was bought new in Midland tx by a boat dealer in Amarillo. Its had a sorted past on the track and street. At one point it had a SBC in it with the full tube chassis and set a record at something like 8.30 back in the late 80's.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  6. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Since Lafayette Ford is not on the list as receiving a Thunderbolt from DST, Jim Demmitt's Thunderbolt had to have been assigned originally to another dealer. Which dealer got the Demmitt Thunderbolt in the first place? What history does the car have in 1964?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  7. dlshady

dlshady

Looking back through my notes, that would be the Bill Rick Ford car out of Centralia, IL and was a four speed car. Dennis had posted much earlier that this car had been in California, North Carolina, New York, over to Norway, back to New York and then to Virginia during it's life. In addition to being Jim Demmitt's car it was also campaigned as "Chris' Toy" in NC and "Wicked Wedge".

Deron

Attached Files:

8. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Photo from Sylvanus Pierce's scrapbook. Not my photo.

[​IMG]

Mike

9. spiertb

spiertb

The color is off in the pic of the Stout and Crowley T-Bolt. It was really bright red. This was taken at Indianapolis in the mid seventies(if I recall correctly). Syl

10. This is also the ex-Gas Ronda car and was driven by Bob Glidden at one time. It still survives in Florida in much the same condition as it is in the photo. Now owned by Willie D.

11. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Crazy Nate's T-bolt. Sylvanus Pierce photo.

[​IMG]

12. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

13. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Great pic!

14. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Down the track at E-town. Another Sylvanus Pierce photo.

[​IMG]

15. Now available as a Hot Wheel as part of the Dragstrip Demons series.... Maybe Santa will bring one to everyone....:D

16. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Years ago at the old Lincoln-Mercury Bldg on Schaefer Rd in Dearborn, MI, Bob Glidden was there with his pro stock car as part of a Motorcraft Racing display for employees. Bob Trevarrow and I asked him about the Thunderbolt and he commented that he owned the car, but never actually ever drove it.

Regards,
    Dennis

17. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I already got mine! :)

Attached Files:

18. Deuces

Deuces

I must have missed it... Damn! :(

19. Baldwinjoe

Baldwinjoe
    from Pgh,pa

Having a 1965 Fairlane I am also interested in 65 thunderbolt an would love to see any photos or info, baldwinjoe

20. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

For photos of the '65 Thunderbolt that ran in B/FX, go to posts #735 thru #737 in this thread. In 1965, Ford put most of its drag racing efforts into the A/FX Mustangs. There were also a few '65 Falcons that ran in A/FX.

21. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Another Sylvanus Pierce pic. Is it true that this car is undergoing restoration? This is one of the Dallas Kelly series of "Wrecking Crew" race cars?

[​IMG]

22. This car has been compltely redone and updated to run SS/B. I've been told it will be out next year. Dallas Kelly still owns it. It was sold originally out of Al Means Ford in GA. to David Harrell who ran it as the Crop Duster.

23. SOHC427

SOHC427

Jody, you seem to have knowledge on all the T bolts. Keep letting us know the facts on these cars! (How do you keep it all straight??)

Eric

24. I've loved these cars since I was old enough to read Hot Rod magazine (well over 30 years). When other kids were collecting baseball cars I was buying old car magazines at Carlisle for a buck a piece. I just love to read and talk to people about these cars and the '61-'66 era of drag racing. I also happen to be very good friends with Phil Bonner so anything related to Al Means Ford or Frank Vego Ford is special to me.

Dennis K. knows volumes more than me though. He is the Ford factory drag car master!! Much of what I know has been pryed out of his vault of knowledge!!

25. 29ToyA

29ToyA

26. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Not my pic. Another Sylvanus photo.

[​IMG]

27. SOHC427

SOHC427

Thanks Jody, look forward to seeing you in the future!
    Eric

28. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Pic from above cleaned up a little

Attached Files:

29. colesy

colesy

Gas Ronda with cloverleaf hood, Glidden/Stout and Willie D. & Lyle Smith.

Attached Files:

30. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

If ya like T-Bolts these and more are available in 1:18 die cast...

GEORGIA SHAKER

[​IMG]

LITTLE EMMETT (just came in last week)

[​IMG]

Plus a plain Black one...

[​IMG]

also have TASCA FORD, the BOB FORD car, plus a plain Blue, and plain Maroon. Check em out at T-BOLT 1:18 LINK