Register now to get rid of these ads!

Storing a car with air bags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bman416, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Bman416

Bman416

I searched far and wide for this subject just to find nothing.
    I have air bags on my 62 Impala wagon and shes sleeping for the winter in the garage. Over the past 2 months i notice a slight decrease in vehicle height. The system must be leaking somewhere ever so slightly or maybe the change in temperature has something to do with it.
    So i was just wondering if there is something you must do before storing a car with airbags for the winter. My buddy says "screw it! just drop her and let her sit." Is that it?
    Thank you.

Brian

2. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

just leave it up on jack stands

3. i would drain the system to make sure no water is trapped in there
    tk

4. Clark

Clark

My truck has had bags for a little more than 5 years never did anything special. Just left it up. But then again I was driving it all year round.

I guess the only thing I wouldn't do is let the suspension hang with the car on stands.
    Clark

5. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

like the other guys said, put it on stands and blow out the system.

6. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Ive left mine without any air. Slammed, so far ok.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Would a nitrogen purge / charge be something to think about? I'd still do stands for long term storage, even on a car without bags. That way you can start it now and then and run it thru the gears.

One funny thing I've noticed over the last month in Florida is that my car has settled a little now that the weather is cooler! Cold air has less pressure? I don't think I have a leak. I took the computer out for a refresh so I haven't been driving. But it should be back on the road soon. Gary

8. fms427

fms427

Yeah, pressure in the bags will go down with temperature. Not sure it would be noticeable,tho.....

I just dump the air from the shoebox - 'cause one side dumps itself over time..:D. Been doing that for about 7 LONG Michigan winters - no problems! That is assuming you have proper ride bumpers on the bottom of the suspension travel - you do, don't you ?? Convoluted bags have internal stops, but non - convoluted bags do not, and will be ruined if you over (or under ?) travel them .:eek:

9. Bman416

Bman416

I don't have ride bumpers underneath. where would they be...on the frame or the rubber stoppers on the tops of the lower a-arms? i want to put pieces of cut 2 by 4 wood underneath the frame so the car can rest on them. would that be a wise decision?

Brian

10. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

long term. i'd put it on stands and drain the system. especially the tank. get all that moisture out. a nitorgen purge probably wouldn't hurt but i wouldn't think it necessary either. best it might do is take the moisture out of the valves completely. that would be the biggest advantage i can see.
    most guys i've known just park it and drain the system.... if you do put it on stands be sure not to let it just hang from the bags. you should have limiting straps or have the system designed so that the shocks limit travel in that direction anyways. you don't want your bags getting stretched out. that could be bad.

11. funk 49

funk 49

don't worry so much. it's the same system as used on all modern semi tractors. they all will leak down. drain the air lines get any water out, and wait till spring. if it was a perfect world you could fill the system with nitrogen, but no need to go crazy.

12. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Iv'e been running my bags for 5 yrs. and store it every winter, I just dump the air, no problems so far, but I am interested in other opinions.

13. I don't have 'bags, but had a thought on storage: would it not be feasible to build four stands from 2x6's, in a triangle shape, sized to fit the frame rails while at just above ride height?? You could then pump up a little, slide the stands under the rails, and lower pressure. Then the car would not be too high or too low.

Cosmo

14. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

I like this idea, maybe put 4 (ea) 4x4 block under the frame then let all the air out of the bags. Then the weight of the car would not be on the suspension and it would not be too high or too low for the winter.

I have not had to worry about since I live in FL...