Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I disguise a 350 to look like a 265?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edelbroke, Dec 11, 2010.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You cannot IMAGINE how much fun I had typing that...:D

2. Koz

Koz

Dudley 32, As I kind of eluded to, We never wanted it to fool an expert, we just wanted it to not look so out of place and it got out of hand like most things around here. The 2x4 intake had a breather tube and it worked pretty well. I have no idea what year the intake was from. Along with some early Vette valve covers and some proper accessories a casual observer wouldn't notice. The car actually belongs to a friend, and I will attest the puppy scoots! The big difference is out of the hole where the big inch motor has torque out the ass. The car also runs a 327/300 cam and 10/1 speedpros along with roller rockers and some trick head work, which gives a nicely matched up set of components along with being dialed in very well, (right gears, clutch etc., he's a mechanic by trade) . Obviously, any motor with that many inches and some hot parts will move a light car like stink.

3. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Well your title says "Can I disguise a 350 to look like a 265?" Not "what parts interchange between a 350 and a 265?"

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Talk about getting tied up in your underwear over nothing. Who in this world even cares what engine your running? Why not disguise the 57 as a 55?

5. dudley32

dudley32

Koz...I wasn't implying that you were trying to fool anyone I just wanted to know how you bypassed the vent tube on the lifter galley...Ive done a number of early..283/327's and always looking for info..thanks ...d32

6. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Just for info, to keep from ruining valve covers, early manifold and pcv in fuel pump block off. It does work!!!

7. Get a pre 68 oil fill 4 bbl intake and a set of early 60s scripted valve covers. You can get an Edelbrock C3B intake for less than 100 (nice working vintage intake) Drill the intake to draw air from the rear and through a PCV valve at the base of the carb. Air in through the oil fill. Smooth the block if you want. Grind the markings off the heads. You can port those manifolds quite a bit with a die grinder to match them to the heads. You might not fool the experts but it can look period and not break the bank. IMHO the earlier accessories look better than the later stuff. Go for it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  8. mike mccagh

mike mccagh

the 57 chevy sbc was the last year lacking the three motor mount bosses on each side. there was no need to remoive the bosses when installing the block in a 59 vette.mike

9. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

That it does, The only info I was looking for is what physically will interchange, as I would like to make the newer more powerfull 350 look more period in the 57. -
    Hindsight is 20/20 If I could delete this thread I would:rolleyes:

10. I don't think there was anything wrong with your original question. I think I get where you're coming from. You're not trying to fool anyone necessarily but you want to capture some of the essence of the early small block era, so the motor looks right in the car, right?

I've thought about doing that too. As was mentioned earlier, the big challenge with using the 283 valve covers (you'd have to use 283s because of the 265 having staggered bolts on the valve covers) is the breathing. A 350 just breathes different than a 265. You can get creative with the PCV if you're ambitious though. In fact, I have seen a few threads about that subject.

Hell, if I could make my 350 look like a 283, I would! I think it would look a heck of a lot better but it would require more dedication than I am willing to spend, especially when I have a 283 waiting in the wings already.

Good luck with that. Move forward with that if that's what you want to do and kepp us posted. Nevermind the naysayers.

11. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Dont worry about it bro. The only reason i made that comment was because of some of the responses you got were because of how the title was interpreted. Just build your motor and drive the hell out of your hot rod!

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I am honestly a little lost here. You asked a question, and I quote, "Can I disguise a 350 to look like a 265?". There wasnt even any disagreement, not that theres any room for it on such a straightforward question. You got an accurate, complete, and concise list of what needs to be changed:
    Heads, intake, balancer, water pump, side mount bosses, oil filter, staggered bolt valve covers, oil fill tube, generator and pulleys, add some means of crankcase ventilation. And now you are complaining? :confused:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  13. pecker head

pecker head

The 265 intake is smaller than a 350 ! The 265 uses different intake gaskets than a 350 .

14. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

If I were complaining you'd know it. there's enough bs replies on here to choke a horse

15. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

59 Vette has a oil filter just like a 1956, 57 265. the 1955 is the one with out a full flow filter.

16. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I say go for it, if that is what you want...I am putting a beefed up 283 in my '63 Biscayne just because I want to.....
    Everybody says go 3fity 3fity 3fity.......but I want a 283. End of discussion.
    Your car, your money, your ideas...
    Good luck, and post some pics....
    Cheers...

17. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

A driving car is best.

18. NW Task Force

NW Task Force

I feel the same thing!!!!! I get tired of roaming car shows and seeing acres of 350cid powered rigs.