Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

• scf.jpg
      scf.jpg
      File size:
      56.6 KB
      Views:
  2. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Saw that, hope someone who can use them gets 'em.

3. charliey

charliey
    from eustis, fl

4. Paul Martens

Paul Martens

We have 25+ sprint car and supermodified frames FOR SALE here at Fairview Okla.

These are frames that we gathered up over the years.

We do not intend to restore theses cars.

(5) Nance frames

(11) Misc "100" frames (unknown manufactor)

(4) Spring front "100" frames

(5) Misc sprint car frames

$100 - $400

Paul Martens
    (580) 750-0230

5. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

UPDATE***UPDATE***UPDATE***(in case anybody cares)

According to TheVintageRacer.com, the Thunderbowl closed in 1956. I would've been four. No wonder my memory is fuzzy.
    Nevertheless, for the next 50-plus years, every time I drove by the place (which would've numbered in the thousands) I was touched with a sense of nostalgia and sadness over a lost racetrack. Little did I know it would be the first of many, and certainly the one that hit closest to home, both literally and figuratively. I'm sure it was the first track I was taken to as a young boy, and the sounds, the smells and the feel of the cool, moist clay smacking me in the face still linger today.

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, I can relate. Been about a half century :)eek:) now but the combined smell of fresh cut grass, hot oil, and a little burning clutch on a late summer afternoon is still endelibly etched in my brain. Haven't been back in about 40 yrs. and apparently not much left but it was sure a place that had a big impact on my life.

Attached Files:

• os.jpg
      os.jpg
      File size:
      26.3 KB
      Views:
  7. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Found out that my Chevy II Block is cracked, but then got a call that my chrome and nickel was done. So about neutral on the progress. I am very happy to see the parts I made all Shiny!!

[​IMG]

8. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Thanks for the info on Carp. Thunderbowl, I would of been two when my dad took me there, Thats why I don't remember it, he had told me that he took me there. We used to stay in mussel Shoals just down the road with all my cousins in a small beach house the family shared for a vacaition. Thanks to all are dads for early visits to the dirt track memories, took my nephew too Ascot at 3yrs old. Had to buy those warm little sugar donuts too keep him awake for the main and he still loves sprints car racing at 29 yrs old, Been taking my twin boys to Ventura sprints since 3yrs old. new seeds at the dirt tracks will keep em going.

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Those little red phantom race cars in your aerial photo all seem to have a severe "push" problem.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, I missed the stagger setup big time, but those tiny little tires are sooo hard to measure. :D

11. deuce354

deuce354

My Dad ,Herb Scott Won 520 Features In His Carrier , His First Win Came At New Kensington Driiving A Hudson Powered Track Roadster. He Told Me That They Treated The Track With Aluminum Paint From The Alcoa Plant To Keep The Dust Down. He Told Me It Worked But Was A Real Mess. Ill Bet The EPA Would Have Fun With That Today?

12. jakearoo92

jakearoo92
    from Indy

The guy kneeling down with the cigarette in his mouth is my grandpa Roger Beck. And yes he did work at Longhorn for a while.

13. baldtireman

baldtireman

Hello,Deek,and Merry Christmas to you and yours! John S.:D

14. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I want to wish everyone here a ....
    M E R R Y
    C H R I S T M A S

Attached Files:

15. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Happy Birthday Denny Z!

16. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

CTtoPA, Thank You Sir. My brain is still around 35 just don't tell em how old my body is.

Denny Z

17. 1981 at Eldora- courtesy of Shane Carson

18. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Denny ...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY from me as well!!!

Along the lines of what Denny said .... a good friend of mine (roughly our age) always says .. "My mind still thinks I'm in my 20's, UNTIL I look in the mirror every day, to shave!!!"

19. Earlier in the day they had some Midgets,

20. part 2 of that race

21. Just put this up

the last 23 laps of the hut 100 1981

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Ken Schou said, Along the lines of what Denny said .... a good friend of mine (roughly our age) always says .. "My mind still thinks I'm in my 20's, UNTIL I look in the mirror every day, to shave!!!" Along the lines of what Denny said .... a good friend of mine (roughly our age) always says .. "My mind still thinks I'm in my 20's, UNTIL I look in the mirror every day, to shave!!!"

That's why I quit shaving.<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

23. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I still haven't figured out what I'm gonna do when I grow up. Denny Z

24. texasracing

texasracing
    from Texas

I have a full set of those on a car. They are rebuildable and are from early to mid 70's. Want to sell them?

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

BRIAN26.. That Champ car race video is GREAT!!! Thank you! That made my day.

I laughed at them describing what we all know today as textbook "Slidejobs".. Guess they didn't have a word for it yet!

Plus, I'd like to show this video to a few guys that were out for blood this spring saying Tony Ruined Eldora and that "It was NEVER dusty when Earl had it!" Riiiiight.

26. I've got a better Champ Car race coming before Christmas- better in that I like the car that wins.

I am a Steve Kinser fan, but I really wish he'd driven a GK car-like Shuman in those days.

27. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Many happy returns Denny...Don't you think it's great to be on this side of the grass ?

28. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Great movies...Like Josh, made my day too.
    The other Silver Crown race Steve won...seems like that was a Stanton #75 ?