Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Well, I would really like to see if there are any out there who can provide us with new built kustom cars in the style that was particularly popular in California 1948-52. It sounds a bit narrowminded to be as tight as this period, but kustom styles changed very quickly and it was shortly an entirely new fashion in kustom styling.

This period represents an emphasis on sleek flowing lines and accentuation of the body shape. Therefore they usually saved the side moldings, but removed the emblems and handles, etc. The cars had "luxury" accessories like Cadillac hubcaps and fashion accessories like Appleton spotlights. Barris brothers were maybe the most famous builders, but there were of course a load of others. One thing that not many think of, is that it often was popular to have both license plates and bumper guards. That dissappeared on the cleaner modern custom style. Another extremely important thing is the "stance". A true kustom in this style have a style reminiscent of a speedboat with high front and low rear plowing its way through the water. Level stance is not good and lower in the front is a total no-no. And NOT the tail sitting on the ground like a wheel-less rear. A bit of the whitewall tire should be seen. There are several others on this board that has a much greater knowledge of certain details and construction/builders of this era than I have. But you can usually see the style quite easy.

But, it was not historic cars I would like to see here. I chose to call it NOSK (New Old Style Kustoms).
    Kustom cars built in this style, but within the last say 10-15 years. There are big plus points if they also have the type of engine/gearbox, axles etc. that was possible to use at this time. Not to be too regressive, but because it also gives a much more refined feel for the car. And the experience of driving it. Just the same as a pre-48 hot rod with the old stuff that was available. A mixture of appreciation and interest in vintage cars (which this is) and an immortal era in kustom history.

The years before 1948 didn't show so many cars with the very radical lowering of chassis and roofs. Some exceptions were out there, of course. And after 1952 the car shows had developed that the number of modifications were more appreciated than the ultimate clean line ... Carson/Gaylord-topped cars were very common and now you scarcely can see anyone who has it on the newly built cars. Not having the "right" style, anyway.

A couple of examples:

Here's a nice build from Donn Lowe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kevans nowadays very nice (unfortunately not yet shiny) 1940 Mercury
    [​IMG]

Would love to see what you can come up with. But please, keep it traditional like I mentioned above. If you don't know what the car has under the hood or chassis, it's all ok. But the more correct, the better. :D

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
    EVL401, lucky, 504640 and 1 other person like this.
  2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Great thread!
    I guess Micke Öhman's 1948 Chevrolet fits in here....even though it has some newer components in the drivetrain ;)

[​IMG]

3. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Boring thread Kent,what a boring thread.

[​IMG]

4. bobjob55

bobjob55

i picked this up a few years back .. trying to make it look like old school ,,, as funds allow ... of course ,, its a 4 door .. don't know if it fits here or not ... but it is a 48 ..
    my avatar is what the front end looks like,,, after being finished with a little help from photoshop......

Attached Files:

5. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

The Preachers of Stance would fit right in.Here's one of'em...

[​IMG]

bobjob,your car rules so far...and your signature fits.

6. Mr. Jeff Neppl's Mercury is the most period faithful Mercury build I've come across:

[​IMG]

hfh and spinner like this.
  7. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Jeff's Mercury is amazing. It just needs a shiny paint now. ;)

Bobjob's car is not really going against this early style, I'm afraid.

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Fits here just fine...and good luck with it.
    Keep us posted with pics....
    Cheers....

9. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Dan Landon's Chevy always pops in my head but its not a new build so I would say Paul Braggs 51 Merc convert and your 40 Merc J.B. both do it for me. And a local to me would be Cleatus' Chevy.

10. FASI

FASI

Here is my choice for the style Barris perfected before going real crazy with some bizarre, "anything to be different" designs. This is a clone of the Larry Ernst car.

Note: sorry photo upload is failing, Will try later.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  11. chrisman

chrisman

I think it's rather strange that there aren't more kustoms built true to tradition, considering there are quite a few hot rods that are spot on in the same era style.

The Choppers' guys does it the right way, I'd say. Keith Weesners '50 is the only one I have a photo of, so i'll let him represent them all:

[​IMG]

EVL401, lucky, JeffSled and 4 others like this.
  12. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Keith's car is a very nice radically chopped traditional kustom, even though I sure miss the essential spotlights. ;)

One car that will be just amazing, but with one foot in to 1953 is my friend Andreas' Buster Litton-style 1950 Ford. Hope to see it in the planned color soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Flawless!

14. I tried to build mine in the 50s style. It doesnt have spotlights and the taillights are a little out of the era. The rest of it I think is period correct.

Attached Files:

EVL401, hfh, Shadow Creek and 5 others like this.
  15. Rikster

Rikster

Lynn Williams 1941 Mercury... no Spotlights... but as far as I can tell everything else is spot on!

Bryan Rusk photo
    [​IMG]

ARCHANGEL photo
    [​IMG]

KustomBuick photo
    [​IMG]

16. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Deron's beautiful 1941 Ford

[​IMG]

17. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Love this post!!!!

18. Rikster

Rikster

Boris... 1949 Mercury

Not sure what inside and underneath... but what I can see looks very ealry 1950's to me.

BadBob photos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401, Torkwrench, hfh and 5 others like this.
  19. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

20. Pro Stock John..... thank you for the compliment,wait till the roadstershow!!!! That pic you posted it looks a little more orange then it does in person but thats ok hell of a compliment you gave me and I cant wait to see your car in person.

21. Great Thread!.....Subscribed.

22. Rikster

Rikster

Better picture?

[​IMG]

23. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

So Rikster. WOuld the headlight rings on that Merc be from a 52????? If I french the lights in my 49 Fleetline this is what I want.
    Thanks

24. Oh man Rik....... Yes the picture is perfect I just wish I had my goodyears on there,its a whole inch more of whitewall but thats ok.I cant put into words what this picture does for me.Especially now,after I have done this engine swap and Jim Mcneil has helped the whole way thru,from the interior to the appletons to the engine and everything else.I cant even count how many times I have called him or gone to his house to see the way it was really done back then and he has NEVER once blew me off.The guy is such a class act he loves my passion for early detail and this picture just kind of symbolyzes(spelling) that. Sorry to get deep guys but this guy has been like a custom father to me and this picture means a lot. Thanks Rik

25. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Jeff, your car is outstanding and the details are flawless. Any plans on a final color?

I agree with you on the tires. The Good Year Super Cushions are the most amazing WWW. Took a long time to locate them from over here in Sweden, since Coker didn't carry them and I only had old pics from old kustoms to go from.

26. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

I do think Kevans Merc and Jeffs Merc are probably the best representations out there. I think Kevans in particular is the best 40 out there.

27. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Nachtfalter has no spotlights either.Therefore the car even has DOOR HANDLES.But then,this car isn't meant to be your typical Custom anyway.In my eyes,stuff like this and everything else makes this car kill ALL other cars out there with ease...

[​IMG]

Speaking of tires...15-Inchers look good on Customs but T H E Custom tire is a 16-Incher.

50Fraud likes this.
  28. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Here's my 46..

Attached Files:

• 209.JPG
      209.JPG
      File size:
      61.6 KB
      Views:
    EVL401, hfh, 504640 and 1 other person like this.
  29. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Nice car, Dean!

Vern Hammonds cool 1940 Ford
    [​IMG]

Here together with another fabulous modern built kustom, Jon Fisher's -36 Ford
    [​IMG]

More Fisher
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have no idea of the powertrain in these both cars, since I'm totally uneducated and never read any magazines nowadays. :D
    But to keep the traditional stuff under the body is so much nicer. Just like the powertrain and chassis of a traditionally built hot rod. :)

Keep them coming!

30. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Shoebox1950's and Royalshifter's Shoebox Fords.Both are STANDOUT Customs in progress...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mr. Neppl's Mercury is nice.VERY NICE.I wanted him to join us preaching stance but he didn't want.I probably wasn't cool enough.