Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone here into large scale (1/8) car models???

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Deuces, Dec 10, 2010.

2. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Sorry Kiwi I just checked my PM's & it was car toon that sent me to the LSM site.

3. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

neat thread

Deuces likes this.
  4. There is a great hobby shop in my home town of Tecumseh Michigan that has a TON of old kits.They probably have one but it won't be cheap.They do a lot of selling on line a I believe they have a website.The name of the place is J-Bar Hobbies on Chicago Blvd. in Tecumseh.Jerry and Barb the owners are both very knowledgeable on old kits.

This one isn't a kit but an R/C car I got many years ago.A New Era Models 1/4 scale Corvette with a 35cc Zenoah motor.Made of 4130 steel tube with miniature Heim joints and a bunch of fabbed pieces it was sold in the 1980's for around $1400 in kit form.This one is the one I know of that was built at the factory.It is over 3 ft long and weighs about 55 lbs.

Attached Files:

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Here are some of my vette, and engine prototype (master).Despite what you have seen on other sites, these are original masters. Like I mentioned the cragar S/S are made from scratch, one piece at a time, assembled, cast and sent to chrome tech for plating. The S/S center cap is 1/4" in dia, and was made at the local throphy engraving shop. ALmost every part on the engine is made from scratch, or heavly modified from a kit part. enjoy!!

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      183.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      191.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      178.9 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      206.2 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      190 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
    Deuces likes this.
  6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Here are some more pics, hemi tunnel ram scratch built, engine came from George Zurowski in new york. Ford 9" scratch built, and flathead 4x2 intake modified from kit intake.

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      146.5 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      156.6 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      192 KB
      Views:
    Deuces likes this.
  7. Deuces

Deuces

Thank you Bill! :)

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

My favorite kit...I have all the others but the Big Drag.

Deuces likes this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

This is all fantastic stuff guys!!! Thanks for posting your pics!! :)

10. Deuces

Deuces

You could always get the new Big T kit and a few ol' school parts packs that are floating around on ebay and convert too a Big Drag... The new Big T kit has the turtle deck and the floor pan from the Big Drag kit.... :)

11. Deuces

Deuces

How about posting some pics of what you have done on it???... Thanks! :)

12. Thanks nifty.
    I like to build radical stuff and my dremal sure gets a hiding. I used to build my own superchargers out of sheet styrene untill i discovered LSM. Thanks marty.:)

13. He he, me too.:D

14. Heres a pic of two 1/8 scale engines.
    The first is a 392 Hemi, and the second is a crank blown Pontiac outer my big 32 RPU.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The blower on the Pontiac is home made. I used an 80s Corvette exhaust for part of the inlet manifold.

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Here are some mock-up pix of a project that just might freak you out... combining an 1:8 scale Lindberg Tall T body, a Monogram flathead and a 1/20 diesel loco chassis into a rail car. In 1:8 scale, G-gauge track scales out to 14-15" - something suitable for light industrial or mining use. Figures in this scale are about 9" tall, and the little model in the foreground of the center photo is a similar project in 1/25 scale.

This 1:8 model will have battery power, RC control, lights, a sound system to make engine and horn noises and a small HO scale smoke generator in the radiator to simulate "boiling over" now and then. I had to put this project on hold awhile back but will pick it back up after the new year. Ah-Ooga. Gary

Attached Files:

Deuces and RacingRoger like this.
  16. gnichols, im keen to see this when you finish it.
    hope you can post it in the hamb model group.

Deuces likes this.
  17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sure. Gary

18. Deuces

Deuces

Wow!! This is a morning eye opener.. :) Thanks guys for posting these pics!! :D I also have a couple of Lindberg's 1/8 Tall T kits... I'd love to do one with a scale 8 inch chop and use a bunch of parts from the Exterminator dragster kit on it.... A Blown version would be cool with some steelies or Torq-Thrust mags from a Revell T kit.... I'd also love to build one of those T coupes with the snow tracks and skees on it like we seen on some snow pic threads on this site.... The possibilitys are endless with a "little" kit bashing and some scratchbuilding..... :D :)

19. Deuces

Deuces

Use a tooth pic to apply the glue on the parts next time... :D

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

What ever happened to the guy that was making the 32' 5/W and 3/W bodies, And a lot of accessories for the Monogram kit?,.... I think he was in Buffalo N.Y.?

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That fellow has since passed. Some bodies and a lot of parts are available on e-gads-bay and from the cottage industry fellows who post on those large scale modeling sites mentioned earlier in this thread. You have to dig around to find them, but they are out there. Gary

Deuces likes this.
  22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    As I read this thread I was thinking it would be cool to finally build my original Big Deuce after my roadster. Then I see MY lights. I guess I can now!!:D I can do my 34 P/U too if they ever make one in 1/8.

Deuces likes this.
  23. Harms Way

Harms Way

Maybe some enterprising young (or old) HAMBer should find some,.. pull some molds and start a cottage industry,..... :)

Deuces likes this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

I have a '32 3W resin body that I got from SMC... I'm still tryin' to decide what I want to do with it.. I've seen some "real steel" '32 roadster bodies in 1/8... Those are very rare...

25. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I started to build a 1/8 scale of my coupe back in '88 when I started to build the full size,with an old monogram kit and a resin body.Now the full size is done I'll have to dig the kit out and start to finish that build after seeing this thread. Are there any special sites or suppliers for these 1/8 scale '32 builds.....Rich

Deuces likes this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

Read my first post at the begining of this thread... Tell'em Guido aka Deuces-wild sent ya! :D

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bud, you missed the gist of my response to your post. The bodies you seek, Obe-wan, are already out there. Gary

28. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Does anyone sell large scaled wheels/tires?

29. Deuces

Deuces

For what scale size????

30. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

1/8th or larger,say to 1/5th?
    I looked thru the large scale model site quickly,saw some engine parts but no wheels/tires?
    A friend lathe turns them to good effect but,the wheels are the problem here.

Thanks for any info!