Register now to get rid of these ads!

Difference between Ford pickup and car steering box?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yoyodyne, Dec 11, 2010.

1. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Here's the deal - I want to put the later style box in my stock 36 pickup. I bought what is supposed to be a 38 PU steering box with the column torched off, and a 39 car box with the column intact. The plan is to install the car innards into the PU box and install it in my truck. Yes, I know the column is longer, there's a reason for that being a good thing in this situation - I need more height to clear my knees, I can shorten it as needed. I was looking at the two box castings today side by side, and I can see no difference between the two boxes. I expected the difference to be obvious. How do I determine what I have? I don't want to get the truck torn apart and find out I have the wrong box ready to install.

2. R Pope

R Pope

Cars and pickups of the same year use the same box.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Shouldn't be any difference.

4. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Great, thanks. Guess I've been told wrong, I understood the column angle was different.

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

The angle is changed via the oblong holes in the frame mounting bracket, regardless, I think it's only a few degrees difference.