Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 Chevrolet Parkwood "OLD GOLD" 108k Original Miles "Patina Rod"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.1961, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Argento

The Argento

That's badass! I completely love the look of the interior with those lights, completely amazing. I wasn't feeling the chromed rims when I saw it for first time, but when I saw it on that picture at the night, it was excellent!

Congratulations and well done with this beast, it's lovely.

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Mr1961, great car. Its yours, build it the way you like it. I'd like to see the garbage driven by those who don't like what you've done to it. Don't think I'd take their criticism the way you have.

3. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

I understand how some might not like it but after all is said and done, car looks really good. how can you deny that? Safe, on the street, and super kick ass, all that matters.

4. FANTM58

FANTM58

Daaaamn that look`s good !!!
    I need me a LONG LOW !!

5. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Thanks David, I appreciate the kind words. I thought that is what car building is always about, being helpful and insightful.

Thank you, thank you.

Thanks Gman! Love that 62 Wagon of yours. :cool:

:cool: Thanks fender lizard. :)

:D Thanks Fantm58

6. rumzilla

rumzilla

7. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Haha, epic intro! :D

I love the wagon, I've looked over Skim's '61 convertible and wagon threads on the impala forum and pics of John's wagon sooo many times. I knew you must be pals with those guys right from the start.

8. Malarky

Malarky

Ya damn right build it how you want it. No matter what you do there will always be people who didnt like how you did it, and will feel the need to express their dislikes, or how they would have done it. Proud and brave is the man who lives by his own conviction. I think its fukin sick! (the car) & I totally dig the well preserved seasoned exterior. Doesnt look like every other fukin '61 Chevy. Well done:cool:

9. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Well said brother! Thanks for the compliments.

Yup, those are my hombre's. :D

SHOW ME THE MONEY! :rolleyes: ;)

10. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

11. Dan

Dan

very cool car, nice job...

I want to see your avatar on that new interior...

12. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

Great job on the wagon and also responding to all the members questions and critiques. It provided me with some ideas for my car. Here is my Rip Van Winkle '62 9-passenger Bel Air.
    [​IMG]
    And here it is in it's hibernation state.
    [​IMG]
    My no budget project is back on the road after going through the fuel, cooling, and brake systems. Skinny whitewalls and a set of unknown dog dish caps replace the Ford truck caps and rotting tires. The 59K car runs the stock 283 Powerglide. The interior needs carpet and door panels when time and money allow.

13. Moondog13

Moondog13

Hey Mr. 1961, Tower Shops is the last Friday of every month or Friday before last? I always forget... :rolleyes:

Awesome wagon by the way! :D

14. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Haha! Thanks Dan.

That 62 is a real bute! Don't let me get my hands on her! :D

The quarterpanel dent is absolutely beautiful on the driver's side. No cracking of paint or hidden games, just nice old crumpled Detroit steel. Priceless! Again, real nice car kopperkart!

Every Friday! Thanks Moondog!

15. daveymac405

daveymac405

i like the shit out of this wagon. all arguments a side.

16. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Thank you. :)

17. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Was skipping CLR for the more expensive stuff, to do these kinds of freshening-ups.
    Gotta try CLR.

Sweet car top begin with.

18. skipper

skipper
    from california

Absolutely Beautiful!! What kind of BC/CC did you use??

19. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

From one Impala guy to another, great job. I love it. I've been wanting to build an Impala wagon forever. By the way, I like BOTH sets of wheels.

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I like what you did with it, it inspires me to do the same to my 60 Chevy wagon.

21. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Thanks.

Thank you. It's Clear Coat Only! PPG DELTRON :D

Thank you, thank you. :D

I think my buddy John's 60 wagon will inspire you even more, but thank you it means alot. :D

22. James66g

James66g

Ordered the paint just now! Couldnt find it any were locally and when i asked a few stores to order they just looked at me with that look my dog gets when he hears something odd (one TV one eyebrow up head cocked to the side) Any way got me 6 cans should be enough to redo my block!

Thanks again for the paint hook up and screw all the haters man Your ride your style!

23. cwayne

cwayne

Enjoyed the pictures of the '61 Old Gold.... nice save.

24. 555impwagon

555impwagon
    from milwaukee

i think this car was donated to rawhide boys ranch and scrapped.i remember it coming in where i use to work.i ripped out the gauges before it was crushed....oh and the old gold 61 looks great.i would love to have it.

25. vdubjim

vdubjim
    from OKC

Great car, sweet job bringing it back.

Ive not done the CLR trick, usually for less surface rus/overspray etc...t i use superfine steel wool as my polishing 'rag' with some 3M or Meguiars cleaner polish.

Im curious the longevity of the bare metal under the clear??? Most paint guys ive talked to say clear breathes to keep the paint under from 'dying' So wouldnt the bare start to rust under the clear? Anyone know???

26. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Thanks brother and that block paint will go along way. I only needed (2) cans to do the entire block, and misc. pieces such as the valve covers and ps pump and ps brackets. A little goes a long way, besides more mils of paint will lead to cracking. :cool:

Thanks cwayne. Nice Parkwood you got there. :cool:

Thanks buddy. Ca$h talks and she'll go to a new home! :D

Thanks Jim. A lot of my buddies couldn't believe how determined I became once the car got home back in February. I just never let up from start to finish.

As far as the clear goes, I will let you know what happens over time. It's been 6 months since cleared and Old Gold is always garaged, so I am sure it's a good thing as far as preservation goes. It's bright and shiny bare steel with the D/A marks still on her. This is the first vehicle or anything bare steel for that matter that I've ever urethaned over.

I could definitely see if the clear would become compromised and the raw surface would then become exposed to elements turning to a rusted surface. However, as long as its encapsulated with the PPG urethane, I don't see how rust would form as it sealed. :eek: Just my .2cents though. :cool:

27. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

You, sir, have one cool wagon.

28. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Awesome, no matter what anybody says. Killer job. Need to see more wagons back on the road, reminds me of my Dad's wagon.

29. davidh73750

davidh73750

you bringing that wagon to Lonestar this wk end? You should!

30. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Thank you very much!

Thank you! Long live the long roofs!

Would love too, but it's been all work and no play lately. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.