Register now to get rid of these ads!

New class for Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Warner, Dec 4, 2010.

1. mad-cad

mad-cad

With regards to the 3 inch roof chop rule in classic class,Dan Warner pointed out to me that it doesn't apply to the classic altered class if the body is pre-48.
    -Tim

2. Mr.Nitty Notty

Mr.Nitty Notty
    from new york

Seems to me that there is room for everyone to run there. I have raced with the BONES for the last 3 years and by midweek they are looking for people to run the Special Course. One day we had 7 runs in and they were waitng for us to return. Also shut down the Special Course 1 day early because ther were not enough cars.

3. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

Seeing as I dont know how to post a quote , this is for the 37 kid.
    Mine is the FASTEST rolling bones coupe. Sorry guys.

4. Just click on the red button on 37kids reply that you want to quote.

5. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

That was easy you just hit the quote button. Tim you may be right, but I am still looking to have a class for the early OHV lovers.

6. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Anybody know how fast this car ran at Bonneville this year? It had plates on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Went to the SCAT BNI site and looked up the results for SpeedWeek on tuesday on the short course and found this. I'm guessing that the engine and body classifications of "TO" mean Time Only? 184 in the mile!

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 94%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" id=table1 border=1 cellSpacing=1 width=745><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.1pt" height=18><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; HEIGHT: 14.1pt; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px" height=18 x:num>9157</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px" x:str="TO ">TO </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: center; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px" x:str="TO ">TO </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px" width=285>KOOPTUP Racing</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: right; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px" width=79 x:num="180.79400000000001">180.794</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: right; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; PADDING-TOP: 1px" x:num="184.38300000000001">184.383</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

8. saltracer

saltracer

Sounds like a plan to me!

9. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

That is a beautiful car....and fast!!! ...and from my home state!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  10. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Its time that those of us who would rather get behind the wheel of an early style HOT ROD with a nasty VINTAGE engine under the hood to get out paper and pen. If enough of us petition the SCTA it can happen

11. inline 292

inline 292

I drove my 394 Olds powered '40 coupe from the so-cal area up to the salt flats to spectate in 1970 if I remember right. Looked like so much fun that I got a cage in it & the other required stuff & trailered it up next year to run. I was in B/GC class, competeing with '53 Studes & 392 hemi's. They were running about 60 MPH over my 135. But I felt, & still do, like I had more fun than anyone. And, thats why I was there, period. IF you want to see how fast your ride can go, & hang it all out, the salt flats is your place. BUT, I fail to see why there is such a need for more classes, record books, etc. SCTA started it all in '49 to run the average hot rodders car & to me, it still works. Those with more money, time, talent, devotion should be the ones in the record books. But us others can sure have fun too.

12. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

And seven years ago I drove my flathead powered 32 roadster 2500 miles from north east N.Y. and made seven passes had a blast and drove it home . Not once did I say " Gee why do they have classes for these old flatheads ?"
    Whats your objection to vintage overhead engines having a class ?

13. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

During Speedweek at Bonneville.....

There are no rooms
    The inspection has to open 2 days early
    The lines to run are 4 to 6 hours or more long IF we don't have 3 courses
    You need to wait forever for food

We Don't Need Anymore Classes!

If you build a car that doesn't fit the scta class system why do we need to make a class for you? We have plenty of people racing (over 500 entrys in 2010) and if someone really wants to be competitive why would you want your own class instead of manning up and build a car thats fits a class where there already is a tough record. I did.

14. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

Maybe the SCTA should eliminate all the other class's except yours, so you wont have a problem getting a room,waiting thru the inspection line,waiting in the stageing line,& be able to eat quicker.......................

15. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Never been to Bonneville, but do like old hotrods .I don't see a problem with a new class for the older vintage engines.. First record may be, as some have called it soft, but remember that means in can raised by anyone else, looking to achieve the same
    goal...

16. gas pumper

gas pumper

This is exactly how it works. I help back here to prepare an STR. The car owner thought a street 32 roadster could go out there and race. And hired a fabricator-race car builder to build the dream. The car, over the years, has evolved into a car that cannot drive around the block. It's now a former record holder, and they are spending megabucks every year trying to keep up with the advances that the competition is making.

New classes may work for a short while, one year?, then it's of to the races.

Frank

17. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

At the moment, Keith, at the moment...

Regards

Jon'.

18. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I can see it now: Some guy with deep pockets has some pro built engine put together and a "street rod" built just for this class all in a few months. Then they get it to the salt and he has his wife drive it and blow the record out of the water so far that "johnny home built" cant even come close to it. Then what do we have, another class at Bonneville just like all the rest of them. But what am I kidding, isnt the Idea to go as fast as you can???

19. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

That's what your asking the SCTA to do...... make a class for you!
    It's not my fault YOU built a car that doesn't fit into a class. There are hundreds of classes, we don't need any more classes just because you built what you wanted.
    JMO

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

There is a matter or perception. Someone who studied the rules and the records and the current cars running on the records might look at this and see a person who just built what he wanted without regard to potential and now wants the rules changed to accommodate his car. This seems to come up often on the Landracing site. Don't get me wrong. I like Vintage OHV V8s. And straight eights and sixes and fours. That's why I have a '55 Packard engine in my car. That used to have a 270 GMC in it. And I pulled the '32 Plymouth out of my roadster to install a '26 Dodge with a M&B OHV conversion. The Jimmy and the Plymouth were record holders in their day. The Packard and Dodge, not so much. I still think an affinity group running within the overall SCTA class structure, but with their own engine requirements and awards, such as the 36 HP challenge and the Hydrogen Challenge, makes better sense. Maybe we could start a new thread and invite any interested partys to chime in with their thoughts. If enough people are interested I will still spring for the trophys. We don't really need a new class to do this.

21. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Mike, I couldn't agree with you more. Either play by the rules that already exist or run TO or don't run at all.

If everyone is so dead set on being competitive or winning something or setting a record, why don't the Rolling Bones do the leg work and put together a Vintage Hot Rod Racer's Club and set your own rules and records. Fastest one way pass for a Model A, Deuce coupe, full fendered car, real street car, y-block, FE, blah blah blah and whatever else. Something kinda like the Hop-Up 100 mph club but more developed. Then you guys can all race against each other and eat hot dogs and drink beer and hand out trophies.

The SCTA already built a class... scratch that, an entire CATEGORY for all the cars from the "Golden Era" of American auto production because there was already some crying/whining/concern/whatever that someone's first gen Camaro wasn't competitive against a third gen Camaro (that was a very brief and generic example) so viola, they get their own class now. And now we want to do that again?

22. Gotzy

Gotzy

I think you rolling boners need to get over yourselves a little here, if you don't want to build a car that fits into the existing classes then get over it (and yes I know who you are and the roadster etc). If you want to run your street car then use one of the other events designed for slower vehicles rather than the international LSR events.

And some of you comments are bordering on stupid with more than a hint of arrogance. When I come to Speedweek I want to see fast stuff as well as guys n gals having fun racing with their mates. But I don't want to see street cars and I don't want to see the volunteers of the SCTA having to run more courses so the street rod / hot rod crowd can come and get their plague so they can be a hero at their local cruise.

Land Speed Racing is about racing and it's racing for records, I can't believe you'd be so arrogant to ask for a new class because you street car isn't quick enough, Jesus dude!

If you must race it, build it into a race car, race it and then change it back. If you can't afford to build it into a race car then it's a shame but also just life, don't bitch and ask for a new class, just go to a RWYB.

Records progress because people do, get you face in the rule book or organise a nostalgia event.

I'm 100% behind Mr LeFevers and the other salt racers, it's busy enough out there without diluting further.

23. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Well said!!

24. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Dear Dynoroom , Gotzy , Beef Stew , Assiesteve and any others we have offended. We are sorry you had to question our " MAN-UP hood " and didn't realize that and yes you might " know who we are and the roadster etc." Please forgive our " arrogance" for asking Dan about having a class for early overheads. And as for our stupid comments , well we are just besides ourselves for making you suffer them. Please don't worry about us racing our slow cars as we will stay over at the special course so you won't have to wait in line behind us and then stand around while we putt down the course. So again PLEASE forgive us for being so arrogant,stupid and ignorant we will do our best not to spoil your time at speed week in the future and thank you for putting us in our place. the as one of you put it - rolling boners

25. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'm glad I don't have a dog in this fight. But the "slow car" arguement doesn't really fly. There are a lot slower vehicles at SpeedWeek than what you'd be running. But as fiveohnick2932 said someone with big bucks will build a legal class car and run over 200 and you guys will be back to looking for a class.

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

So when you get over all that, what about "The Rolling Bones Challenge"? The idea works for Mark Morton and it works at the drags for the Inliners. Plus other Challenges I mentioned. It's just as good. The idea always was Go Fast-Have Fun

28. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

Why Assesteve never met to offend you i'm just in aw of your wisdom and help in setting us straight . hope you will find the time to come over and impart a little more on us while we are holding you up with our slow cars on the special course. thank you in advance

29. firingorder1

firingorder1

Out of curiosity how slow are your cars? Under 100? 75?

30. Thats everyday interstate speeds for these guys....