Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone have pictures of the X-sonic Vette?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SilentMind415, Mar 29, 2006.

1. I'm nuts for the Yoas/ Bertolucci car. Wow!

2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Sounds interesting...please tell us more!!

3. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

the current owner of the car, is a well respected name in the automotive biz as well as the automotive aircraft hydrasulic biz. at this time he would prefer the info to stay limited till he has the car restored. there are some magazines that will be documenting the resurection of this incredible find.

I didnt mean or intend to stomp on anyones thunder. and in no way intended to take anything away from Ron, by my post last night, as I have always held him in high regard. i met him many years ago, and is a great guy! and I think its absolutely badass that he has signed onto the HAMB to share his history and knowledge. he is (i feel) soley responsible for bringing hydraulics to the main front and as he said always willing to help anyone who wanted to learn back then. and you absolutely have to admire the man for that. but there was ONE kustom car that came out with hydraulic suspension before X-sonic. to be honest, when i first learned this I was kinda crushed..lol.. but I had always heard from old timers in the scene that they remember there being another one before, but noone could really remember what it was or who owned it. that was untill it was found:D
    its really exciting to have something like this come up, I feel.

4. Rikster

Rikster

Great info... but why not just tell the name of the car/owner?

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yeah... it's going to take some serious documentation to back that claim up. X-Sonic is famous for a lot of things, and the first use of hydraulic suspension is one of them.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

To me the X-sonic is the first and will always be. It's the first because its the first that was shown, printed etc. But I am aware there was a lot of stuff going on in the world that I never heard of. American bandstand was in another part of the world, I never got around much until the army. Boy did they show me the world. Remember black and white tv, party lines on telephone, internet didn't come about until I was already old. The mags made some people famous, and some unheard of. Roger

7. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

8. couple more... says photos by Ed Roth...Big Daddy??

Attached Files:

9. BigPoppa

BigPoppa
    from Denver

where are these pics from?

10. BIG TOP

BIG TOP

The car you are talking about was only shown a few times. Ron continued to show his car, change the appearance and improve it.

Ron is credited for being the innovater, because he continued to be involved in the hobby. I dont think that the car that is now claiming to be the first, will tarnish Ron's credibility.

I am not trying to offend anyone, Im just sharing my thoughts.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  11. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

History is what's written and in Ron's case, the history of hydraulics was recorded in print as soon as he did it (1961). There's no other example that was documented in print before Ron's.

When someone does something first, they know it's first because they know that they had never seen anything like it before. So Ron came up with it. Maybe someone else did at the same time and neither knew about the other...but there's no documentation of any other job earlier than '61.

The new Rodder's Journal has a great feature on the X-Sonic and its history. Ron was the ultimate DIY customizer.

12. 1958 IMPALA

1958 IMPALA
    from CA

You know the old saying "one picture is worth a thousand words" so here you go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  13. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

hahaha Andy shut the topic down with that one!

14. The Rodders Journal did a history on it. It did not have bags it was hydraulic and it was not juiced so it could sit low when it parked it was juiced so it could drive low and be bounced up when it was parked and not get a ticket for being too low.

I am all for juicing one if you do it for the same reasons.

If you are looking for an excuse for bags the Ala Cart had bags up front. Barris said that the reason he used coils up front was so he could use bags, it was for show points, it did not go up and down. But it was bagged.

15. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

16. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

58 Impala, I stand corrected; thanks for the info.

17. Any updates on this?

18. 51 mercules likes this.