Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Find, Ford 427 dual quad top end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lazlobassett, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Well, I was poking around in an old barn and found a dual quad set up. Seems to be 1965 427 ford from a Galaxie. Its all there, factory carbs, linkage, fuel log, heads, exhaust manifolds, vintage Mickey Thompson Headders, Finned air filter cover only, base is somewhere...
    I'm not a Ford guy but know this isn't stuff one comes across every day, heck I've been digging around for years and hadn't seen this before.
    Anyone have an idea of what this stuff is worth? it will all need work but isn't in bad shape. I wish I had my camera, be a cool picture to see this stuff in amoungst leaves n stuff in a shed with half a roof... My eyes sure lit up !

Cheers!

Matt

2. At least a grand to the right guy I'm sure.....

3. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

I bet those headers would go for big money by themselves, especially if they're M/T "Super Scavengers".

4. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

I have to ask if those heads and intake are "Tunnel Port"

5. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Those are the carbs in the picture from Swade41, I poked around on FLEAbay, the stock exhaust manifolds are there with asking prices of 1200 to 2200, not sales, asking prices. there was a dual quad set up but it looked to be missing things, not sure about that.
    The headdders have different lenght pipes inside the collectors to equalize the individual tube lenghts, I've not seen that before. they look to be hand fabricated.

Very interesting stuff. I'll try for some pictures

6. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

I'm not sure about if they are " tunnell Port" the intake isn't a high rise...

7. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

Best do some diligent research. 2x4 were made for all kinds of specific apps. some are worth a buttload of money, some not so much. the exhaust sounds intrigueing. get some good pics up, it'll really help you out if you're not 100% on i.d.

8. SOHC427

SOHC427

Post up some part numbers off the carbs and intake, and I will see if I can help,
    Eric

9. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

By that description... those are M/T "Super Scavenger" headers... those are rare especially if they're for a Ford!

10. By your description the headers are M/T super scavengers.

Attached Files:

11. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

didn't one of the big names in superstock, Galpin maybe, use those?

12. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

FE guys are nuts (in a good way). That stuff is worth a small fortune, to the right guy. Part numbers mean EVERYTHING! 427 stuff is better than Gold! Tunnel Port stuff is the holy Grail, but basically un-driveable in a street engine. Huge intake ports! That doesn't change the fact that they bring BIG BUCKS.

Do some research and describe your parts correctly.

Good luck.

Kevin

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  13. To check it they are tunnel port, just look at the ports in the intake or intake side of the head. If they are oval you're in the money.

I have a pair on my 427 and want another if you're sellin'.

14. I'd say look around a bit more. If there is a block there with bolts holding the main caps in thru the sides -- then get excited.

From what you have posted it could be anything from a Lowrise 427 to a Medium or Hi-Rise one depending on casting dates. Meduium & Hi-Rise manifiolds are worth more. Tunnelport manifolds are unusual to find but you would then require TP heads to make it work but are worth alot more.

Still the setup is worth a minimum of $800 to $2200+ FYI Bare 2X4 LR manifolds are worth $400-600.

Only my veiwpoint & I'm cheap.

Movin/on

15. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Thanks for all the information, I have a few days before I have to go back to real work. I'm going to try & get round there and see if I can make a deal.

The guy bought the 427 new in 65 in a galaxie, raced it for a couple of years then put it into a '64 comet. It chucked a rod he got stuff to put it back together, wrapped it all in plastic bags and there we are 30 years later.

there is also mention of a " rock Crusher " 4 speed which I have never heard in reference to a Ford trans ? and a cast steel blow proof bell for the same...

16. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Block is gone, caps are there and yes they have the bolts through the sides.... Guess i should make a point to gather them too?

17. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Put up some pic. Maybe a Tunnel Wedge, my favorite.

18. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

just get anything made of ford metal! there are things like the metal screw-together fuel filter and goofy bracket, hardlines, balancer etc. etc. just get it all!

19. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Man I would look over that guys place with a fine tooth comb...if he has that rare Ford stuff he is liable to have a lot more...

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yeah...anything small. All of the brick-a-brack like lines, filter, linkage, etc. is unique to a very small range of cars, and can be insanely valuable because it was generally tossed early in the car's racing career.

21. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Grab a camera and get some pics Already! :D

22. FE guys will even buy the broken stuff.I have sold rusty side oiler blocks with the sides broken out and he was excited to get it.

23. SOHC427

SOHC427

FE Guys are pretty hard core, plus the stuff works! I had 390's 428's and SOHC's, and loved them all. Multipul carbs are the bomb, too!
    Eric

24. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

better then a 401k.

25. why does this sound sooo familar ?

26. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

No doubt... FE stuff will keep a fat stack in your pocket. You gotta know what the numbers mean though.

Aftermarket FE parts are VERY available. Don't kid yourself into buying this stuff to re-sale. Waste of time and money.

The C parts are GOLD.

27. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

"C" parts? This stuff is all original genuine Old Stuff, I've no doubt about that.
    Today is pick up day, the deal is done and I'm going to root through the piles, should have pix up tonight!

Cheers!

28. cide1

cide1

I have heard people call the Muncie M22 a "rock crusher" due to the larger cogs on the gears compared to a M21.

/Coming from a chevy guy...

29. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

I will be interested to see what the trans actually is. Most likely a top loader Ford coming from a Ford parts stash. The angle of the gear cut on a "Rock Crusher" was designed to give it more tooth contact and causes it to make more gear whine hence the name. Post the parts pics!!!!