Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you secure your HAMB vehicle when you are out and about?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Jul 30, 2008.

1. K and K

K and K

I know after six pages there has been alot of repeat posts, but has anyone installed any of the new alarm systems that alert a reciever on your key chain or some can actually be set to send an alert to your cell phone. Those of us that always have our phones on us this would be best. As said earlier, no bystanders respond to car alarms anymore. Heck I drive a tillered fire ladder truck in Oakland and we set alarms off just driving by parked cars. But if it alerts your cell, you know its yours. This seems like the one way to alert you if its broken into, driven, and even if they start to load it onto a tow truck.
    Anyone have any expirience with these systems yet? I believe Clifford and Viper have a model like this out. Im sure others as well.

2. My car has 6 toggle switchs 2 have labels if all the switchs are not in the corect position the ingnition is shorted. It also has a key but that aint how you start it.

3. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Yeah I do the same thing

4. aircoup

aircoup

i like snakes do you ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

5. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I have a kill switch and a .40 S&W

I also have good insurance.

I might get one of these wireless alarms...cheap way to scare them off, might prevent it from being tampered with or stolen... http://www.mastersentryseries.com/auto/index.shtml

I may or may not already have Lojack?

6. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I've used the biggest chain I could find in the past and secured the steering wheel to the brake pedal.

A few months ago I had to use bolt cutters on a similar one, and my cheapie swapmeet 3 ft bolt cutters went through it like it was nothing.

Actually on my car no casual thief would steal it I don't think and a kill switch might be enough.

On a nice car? They'll just put it on a roll back no doubt about it.

I think one of the truly most effective ways would be to immobilize a tire like a city boot. It can be cut but its going to discourage anybody.

7. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

Same here!... whatever grenade, fake one, but if its making a blast (shot) even as a sound of a toy, or a bit stronger, sure the thief got his suprise!

I uses "tricky" door openers (not just to press the button, a like at the hood), chassie lowered when parked (to low to get on a hauler without digging into the gravel or similar)

Mostly, the best antitheft had been people around to look out, and start to care a little, even if its others property......and not just turn away because its not theirs,

8. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I never thought about it. You don't even have to take the keys from your car where I live, but then I drive shit nobody would want to steal anyway.
    I wouldn't leave my rpu unattended for that log tho.

9. I never go farther out of town than I can walk back. I have never left a car in a motel parking lot. Most young people can not figure out how to start a model A and do not know about a push button starter on the dash and the off on switch on the steering column. Stepping on a pedal to turn the started is amazing to young kids.

We were going out of town for a vacation. We could not find the keys for the house. The doors have not been locked since it was bought. Went on vacation anyway. That is part of living in a small town.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  10. Here in Germany I protect my bikes & cars like this:

Hidden Kill Switch, good neighbours, secured garage and the best protection are my 2 bulldogs :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rock n Roll
    Timo

11. MCM

MCM

I put a Ravelco unit in my roadster:
    http://www.ravelco.com

It's sort of like a kill switch that you can take with you, they don't make any master keys for them either...

12. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I have a hidden kill switch but if they want it bad enough it's gone, However if I catch them the outcome won't be pretty.

13. Dave K

Dave K

Good Insurance is the thing that works. If they really want your car they will get it.

14. There was a story going around about a son going to visit his elderly father and finding the door keys hanging in the front door. After the son expressed his concern the father told him to try to use the keys to open the door and closed the door leaving the son on the front porch. The son wiggled the keys and moved it in and out and up and down trying to get the lock to open. The next thing he knew his father was standing behind him with a shotgun. I would like to think the poential thief would remember the old saying if something seems to good to be true it probably is.

Charlie Stephens

15. torchmen49

torchmen49

Yes, but a tow truck with a stolen hot rod or custom hanging off the back doesnt make the best get away car ;)

16. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Insurance is key.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, this is an old and rehashed thread but it is still a good one to keep us reminded that we need to do a bit extra to secure our cars.

Not much will keep the pro thief from taking your rig except sitting right there with the model 10 full of buckshot. And sometimes that may not be enough. It appears that lately a lot of them are using repo rigs and equipment along with being pretty brazen.

Along with hidden switches and cutoffs to the main electrical and fuel supplies I'd say that having the car set up so that it takes both hands to start it even when all the switches are in the correct position would be one thing that would be simple and easy. My wife hates my daily driver because you have to push the starter button along with turning the key at the same time. But don't push the starter button on the dash unless you want to hear my air horns go off.

The steering/brake locks work if you use them. But most of this stuff works against the average joyrider if you use it. Hell, if a guy has a bagged car and airs it out and cuts out the power to the pump(s) that car isn't going anywhere.

Maybe even a few things that cause the car to draw attention to it's self or may cause a law enforcement officer to want to pull it over such as a switch that cuts out one headlight or cuts out one or both tail light (s). On US 97 Between Weed CA and my house 60 miles north of the Oregon/Washington border a lot of drug traffickers get busted because the vehicle they are driving has a light out. Most officers are hell on wheels about pulling a car over that has a light out where they may not pay a lot of extra attention to it otherwise.

18. boomosby

boomosby

i have to second the idea that insurnace is the only real way to go, after sitting here wathcing overhauling and seeing these guys do it in broadday light, i'd say thats all you can do.

has anyone ever had a good outcome with low jack or gps trcakers?

19. hotrodder3

hotrodder3
    from maine

a 5 dollar smokebomb will get the attention you need to scare thieves away---when ignition is tripped bomb goes off --or hooking a string to a switch so when driveshaft turns will do same

20. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

I run a tunnel ram and two fours........ hell keeps me from starting it half the time! Unbaffled weedburners,Battery cutoff, and a removable steering wheel has worked so far... but good insurance is the best

21. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but no car thieves are starting up your hot rods to steal them. All the kill switches in the world wont keep someone from pushing your car out of your garage and towing it away.

A secure parking spot is the only thing that is going to keep your car safe.

22. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

if they get paset the palasade style wall and the 18 dogs and my neighbor dosent shoot em then they can have the fucking thing.

23. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Dump a quart of oil and some cast iron chunks underneath it

24. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

This is not a very smart thing to tell everybody in the whole world how you keep your stuff from being stolen.
    Think before you post, better than half of the profiles here can be checked and address found. Be careful about what you say and the pixs you post on the net.
    Not just members here now adays.Some of the bigger sites now have Insurance investigators,Lawyers,Zoning enforcement,Law enforcement,Hell your neighbors all read this stuff.
    Its bad in a lot of areas now and if they want your.....anything its gone.Guns, Dogs, Fences,Tuffguys,Alarms,Kill Switchs. It don't matter ,if they want it they got it.

25. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

all i do in my daily driver(96 chev caprice 9C1) is lock the doors, and one morning i went out to go to work, and UNLOCKED my door, started it and the stereo didnt turn on ( i had a semi - nice stereo with front usb hookup for ipod), thought it was weird, glanced over it it was gone, but only the front plate, so without the rest of the deck it serves no purpose. the deck itself was screwed in from underneath. they also took my 5 year old ipod that barely worked, and about $3 in change. before the little bastards left with theyre new ipod they locked my doors again.
    a few years back we lived in a shadier area of town, and in the middle of the night my dad woke up to someone trying to start his 89 chev pickup, he runs out there in his underwear and before he got all the way outside the kid was gone, but he destroyed the column and ignition trying to start it.
    never had anyone mess with any of the hot rods we have now, or have had in the past. the 53 has an alarm/kill switch.

26. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I've been doing some research. You can get a viper with a 2-way pager for under $200. My plan for driving it is shaved door handles, alarm system that pages, and a brake pedal lock.

Then I put it in a locked garage at night and throw one of those tire locks on.

Oh and you can get a backup battery for the alarm for around $35 just in case a thief removes the battery cable.

Farrrr from perfect but if I'm not too lazy to do it all it's at least better than nothing.

27. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

I rely on locked doors. awesome-strong laminated glass. The fact that starting it, without knowing its like walking on marbles. (You may be able to do it, but it will take some time/trying) Along with two other tricks.
    None of which, are a switch.
    That and back when the trans still bled, everywhere i went it just looked like the broken down cadillac.
    Once i get the car all done this spring, Little bit of a security revamp is in order.

28. magoo

magoo

Take the rotor out of the distributor,and put the cap back on It only takes a few seconds. It fits in your pocket. No thief is going to have one with him and no matter what he does he cant start your car or work out why it wont go

29. Yep. That happens to me all the time. I'm no car thief, just trying to do a tune up!

30. my dog , king german shepard. sits in the back of my coupe when i go out. i have to allways keep windows shut, open a little to give him air, of course. get close when i am not around and he watchs, get to close, touch the car and look out............ true story boys and girls, i did not have him with me 1 nite, went to a cruise at a local shopping plaza. sunday afternoon, alls well. left the drivers window down and went to look at other cars, normal shit right......... came back to my car and left 4 home. while parking it in my very secure garage i noticed my late fathers wrist watch which i kept on the turn signal switch-stalk arm gone.......... some a-hole reached in and stole it. if cerberus was with me, and he is since then. that a-hole would lose a couple of fingers his hand and mayby his arm.......... good boy. but.......... i find out that if that went down, the prick stealing from me could sue me and-or have me arrested and possiblly have my best friend-dog put down...... W.T.F. an old biker buddy told me years ago that pretty soon we will have to put locks on our noses so they do not steal our snot. . alot of people are honest-respectful, god love em and thanks 4 being that way. it is the thieves that make us parinoid, enjoy this hobby-lifestle but be aware. sad, but true thats how it is. the story on here about the 32 roadster being found recentlly is an insperation, keep your eyes open, and post here if your ride is stolen we, the h.a.m.b. nation has lots of eyes and contacts. take care of your cars, your friends and their cars , dermott.