Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1933 - 1936 Willys, picture thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WillysRule, Dec 5, 2010.

1. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

One of my favorites ^^^

2. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Here's a few more 33's

12c70db0.jpg Jack Coonrod3.jpg Ohio George3.jpg

PAUL_DAY_33_WILLYS_BB_GS_VS.jpg V172-04 copy.jpg

3. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Tom Prock's first Willys was sold to Ontario George Gray.

Tom Prock2.jpg Ontario George.jpg

Ont-George2.jpg Ont-George.jpg

4. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Here's a little gasser evoloution. This car started out as Mel Bryson's car, then was sold to Mike Svoboda, then to Chris Lytle (Blown Hell), then finally to Brent Harris, who still runs it today.

Bryson-69.jpg Svoboda.jpg Lytle-Blown Hell.jpg BrentHarris-AAGS.jpg

5. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

BIG HEAD!!!!!!!!:p

6. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Although I don't have a picture of it, Steve McGee's Willys started out black, with pearl green flames on the nose and fenders. Then by 69, it was painted in the red, white & blue scheme. In 72 or 73, it was purchased by Mas Hikida and Terry McHardy. McHardy ran the car off and on until the early 90's. I've been told he wrecked the car, but still owns it. Maybe it'll get restored one day.

McGee_Willys.jpg McHardy2.JPG McHardy.JPG

7. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Ok, here's one of my all time favorites. Jack Coonrod's gasser. He was originally partnered up with Wayne Harry and they ran a 36 Willys pickup. They parted ways, Jack kept the engine, and built his coupe, which debuted in late 64 or early 65. By 66, the top had been chopped, and the suspension rebuilt by Finders. For the 67 season, the car was lowered in the front for better handling, but maintained about the same paint job. For the 68 season, the car received a wild flamed paint job, and Jack layed back the windshield and pulled out the bottom of the grille to try and cheat the wind a little bit. Jack sold his car at the end of the 68 season to Twig Zeigler, who ran it in 69 and 70. The car was then sold to Chuck Byrd (no picture), who owned through about 74 or so, and then the car was sold to someone in Western Canada. The car eventually made it to Don Pettit (pictured). By 84 or 85, Coonrod had purchased the car back, and sort of restored it to run at the NDRA nostalgia drags, and the car debuted again in 1986. The car was tubbed for the 87 season for bigger tires, and went through some minor changes until a front spoiler and rear wing (spoiler) was added for the 90 season. Then the car went through one final rebuild for the 92/93 season, when it was lowered for better handling, along with suspension changes. I believe the car eventually ran 7.30's or 7.40's in its last configuration, and remains like this today. Although not the same car, Jack had a brand new all tube chassis car built for the 95 season, with an all glass body, and Donovan hemi power. His son Steve drove the car for a couple of seasons, but it was hard to compete with the Brad Anderson hemi's in AA/Supercharged at the time, so the car was eventually parked.

Coonrod-65.jpg Coonrod-66.jpg Coonrod-66-2.jpg
    1965------------------------- 1966
    Coonrod-67.jpg Coonrod-67-2.jpg Jack Coonrod 33 Willys A-GS 2 July 1968.jpg Jack Coonrod 33 Willys A-GS 3 August 1968.jpg
    1967------------------------------------------------------ 1968

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  8. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

twigz.jpg TwigZeigler.jpg John Pettit.jpg

Coonrod86.jpg Coonrod-86-2.jpg COONROD-87.jpg
    1986-------------------------------------------------------1987

SS&DI1-12-90.jpg JackCoonrod-90-2.jpg

Coonrod-92-93-1.jpg Coonrod-92-93-2.jpg
    1992-1993

Steve Coonrod 2.jpg
    New car, 1995

9. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Love your post on the Willys. If you check out my hotrod--willys you will find a photo of my 1936 willys 4 dr phaeton from Australia. I purchased this as a parts body. The front clip came from Jack Conrod. Other parts came from from Tom Wolford the previouse owner of the Brizio 36 pickup AGSC car. I love these little cars.

Lauren Porsch Hotrod--willys ;)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  10. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Awesome little car you have there Lauren. Very unique. I don't think I've ever seen a Phaeton rodded. Makes a neat hot rod.

Mark

11. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

My custom built 1/25th scale i built awhile back! started as a panel delivery 33 willys and i cut the top out and made an ex cab truck out of it!
    [​IMG]

12. 33willysgasr

33willysgasr

Here's a couple of pics of my '35 pick-up project. Started with a cowl and doors and a bunch of templates from a friends '36 pick-up. Still gotta long way to go!

Attached Files:

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

That's not technically true, Randy Jackson bought it from Mike Svoboda, I went with Randy with my trailer to pick it up, half way home, 1 1/2 Hrs later on top of Stevens Pass Randy had buyers remorse and I bought it from him before it was even off the trailer. These pic's were taken when I got it home. Chris bought/stole/traded from me in this condition and got it back on the strip.................. just for the historical records!

Attached Files:

14. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Looks like you've got a great start on that pickup. Ought to be blast with that blower & injector. Your inner structure frame work looks like it's going to work out nice to attach the sheet metal. I hope you'll continue to post more as you progress.

15. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Thanks for the info brigrat. I appreciate the pics. I love seeing the old stuff, even if it's bent up (lol). Chris or somebody did a nice job of straightening out that body.

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

No Chizler pics or did I not look close enough?

17. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

I'll post some tonight.

Oh, there is one shot with Bones racing Ohio George in the A/GS finals at the 66 Nationals on page 1. Bones got an early lead, but leaned out too early and hurt the engine, giving the win to George.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  18. Hey Guys

Long ago.....first came the glass body...yikes!, then the sedan

Attached Files:

19. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

[I really did'nt think it counted if you did'nt do anything with a car when it was in your possession, just sort of a meaningless footnote in time.just mocking tires up against it and making motor noises is alot easier than actually putting 4 years of time and a shit load money into a car. So to clarify the point the car had 4 owners. That beat up piece of shit you have pics of aint no willys race car, not untill I fixed it !! Chris Lytle

20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I have written 2 posts, on the HAMB, about that Willy's and each time credited you for it's reincarnation .................................
    And that's the thanks I get for making you famous! LOL

21. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Here is some photos of my old 77 Willys from when it was raced up to now.
    Paul.

171.gif

DRAG%20RACING%20%285%29.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

Hamberis & Mitchell 2.jpg

MM4.jpg

REYES1.jpg

2_33WILLYS_AA_GS_66INDY.jpg

22. 33HEMI

33HEMI

23. 33HEMI

33HEMI

24. 33HEMI

33HEMI

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Goddamn, Paul, I believe this would be a good time to tell us just a little story about you and that very cool Hamberis & Mitchell Willys!!! :cool:

26. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Hey Paul. Thanks for adding those pics to the thread. That's an awesome car, with a unique history.

Mark

27. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

I always thought this was a killer shot of the Mitchell car.

Hippie33-1.jpg

28. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Ok, Here's some of the Bones-Dubach Chizler.

Bones-1.jpg Bones-2.jpg Bones-3.jpg Bones-Dubach-1.jpg

29. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Not so famous "Flirtin With Disaster" and some more of the same already posted.....................

Attached Files:

30. 296ardun

296ardun

This is a great thread...first Model 77 Willys I remember was driven by Peggy Hart, mid-late '50s. I think that C.J built it, had a Cad and ran A/G...not sure if it came before or after Peggy's Cad-powered dragster....I can't find a picture of it, anyone else have one?