Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Voodoo Larry and the true story of "The Voodoo Idol" !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as his cars go, I like this one best... But that doesn't necessarily mean I like it..

2. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

I can respect the amount of work that was put into it. Easy to hate, and not create!

3. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

It is what it is...

4. 117harv

117harv

I'm not really into customs so i dont have an opinion either way, it looks kind of cool to me. Why do most people posting not like it? How about some reasons why...i'm custom ignorant.

5. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

face down ass up ..

6. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

Plus, the guys a douche.

7. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

I think Larry is an incredible craftsman. With that said I think this particular car looks like a cartoon. Not his best work. Just sayin!

8. The car is overdone for my taste. But I damn sure respect the work that went in to the car.

9. funk 49

funk 49

great craftsmanship, yet way over done. I think you are often better with the old standard of less is more.

10. SixFive

SixFive

So if you have a difference in opinion with anyone that makes you a hater. Ok.

You build a car, people are gonna look at it. Post pics on a forum and people are gonna comment on it. Not everyone likes the cars I have built. That's fine by me, I know people have different tastes. Same way not everyone is going to like that car.

That just has a look like it was put in a garage and every body mod that could be imagined was done to it. No regard for how each modification interacted with the next.

To me it just looks kind of.... awkward.
    Quality of the car might be amazing, but style shouldn't be forgotten either.

11. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Welcome to the World Wide Web. It is a place where anything can be posted. Offensive or not. You should live by what Momma said.

12. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

I won't say it is my favorite custom. As with any custom you will always see a few things you would have done different. I do like the car and think it reflects a time period and style he was trying to emulate.

I had the pleasure of having Larry attend a show I produced and he brought the VooDoo Idol. He, his wife and kids and the fellas he brought with him to help out were some of the nicest folks you will ever meet. It rained most of that weekend. He, his family nor his crew ever said a negative word to us. The opposite actually happened! He attended every activity we had going on, shaking the hands of everyone, talking with all who wanted to discuss cars, music or any topic under the sun. He even hopped up on stage and played with the band Saturday night AND later that night he fired up the tail pipes on the Idol to give those who stuck around that night one hell of a show. In my opinion he is a very talented, stand up guy....and you will find no better!

[​IMG]

Any Kustom is a work of art and subjective to the artists vision. In all I think it is a cool car and glad I had a chance to see it and ride in it and meet the man who built it.

If you want to see some photos I took at our Country Club property....trying to make it look like a photo shoot for the old "little pages" mags...click here - http://public.fotki.com/FINKSGARAGE/1/voo-doo-larry/

If you dont like the car, the photos won't change your mind, so don't bother to click the link.....if you like the car, you will enjoy the photos!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  13. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I think it just takes a bearing (think skateboard) and bolts. Take a cap and puch a hole that the bearing fits into. Attach the bolt to the back of what you want to stay stay stationary, weight it down and attach to the wheel. That's how I think it's done.

14. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

So lets hate on it because its not the same thing thats been done to death over and over again.......

15. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

You mean like this and many custom cars from the 50's and 60's ?

If Larry's car had been built 50 years ago...I believe people would see it with a different perspective.....

Thought I'd raise this point before the thread get closed.

[​IMG]

16. Always thought that was fugly as well. :rolleyes:

17. I think it's the original design from ford that sucks, i think I have a tough time with the color. It would probably be rad black.

18. The biggest problem I have with it is the added width. It just makes it look like it was sectioned by being run over with a steam roller in got shorter and wider. Bad proportions from the front and the back not bad from the side.

19. rick finch

rick finch

x2......

20. this IS the hamb and this car aint really trad, so i guess a lota folks wont like it. im more a hot rod guy, so customs in general arnt my thing. in saying that, i think hes a great builder of HIS cars and if i was a customs guy, id proberbly like it.
    maybe some of the opinions are due to the fact hes tattooed. seems theres a few old time opinions on that around here.
    maybe its due to the car being featured in that other mag?
    all up, how do you reinvent the wheel? everything old has been done to death.

21. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

The upholstery is outstanding.

22. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

I've met him a couple of times-nice guy,down to earth. I also agree w/Caddy-O. It's different than most,which is what I like-I don't like to blend in. It's cool just not drop dead gorgeous. So what,I wish I had .10 of his talent. And I wish there were more people out there just as nice. My $.02

23. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Why All the haters? It's his car not a customers car! If that what he likes so be it. I think he put a lot of hard work into it like we all do with our own rides.The only person we all need to please in the end is ourself...... Just my opinon.

24. rick finch

rick finch

maybe some of the opinions are due to the fact hes tattooed. seems theres a few old time opinions on that around here.

Uh......no. I'm 64 yrs. old and have had some ink done. The comments are directed at the car NOT the person, by all accounts he is a talented builder. I just don't like the proportions and style of it.

25. ...it almost like you guys are upset he didnt call you before he built it to get your opinion....what a F-n joke....

26. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Has east coast disaster written all over it.Cali proud!

27. I think this car shows much better in person than in pictures. This probably explains why the West Coast doesn't seem to have much appreciation for it. As far as Larry the guy, I met him and spent some time with him in Salina and he seems like the genuine article and good dude. But who gives a flying shit, this site is supposed to be about the cars anyway. Keep your Douche opinions to your self, Douche.

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this car was good looking then and is still good looking now. if it were widened and sitting on the rockers it probably wouldn't look right either.

I'm having a brain fart... what was the name of this one?

[​IMG]

29. chevyben

chevyben
    from washington

It takes balls to build cars the way you see fit I think. I like Larry's cars and what he dose. That said most of the time I wouldn't ever go as far as he dose (like I could any way!) But I have lots of tats and like cars with paint and body mods.

30. It's a radical custom and none of them have ever pleased 100% of the judges.
    My issue is that Larry proudly states that the car has been widened 4 ", while it looks like only the fenders have been widened to match the tread of the Camaro clip. The engineering on the reversed hood is really exceptional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.