Register now to get rid of these ads!

Toys of Christmas past....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Back in the early 90s I cleared out an old Desoto Plymouth dealership and found two of these still new in the original shipping box. The dealers had to order them in sets of three, and the dealers son wanted one so he ordered a box of three and gave one to the kid. the rest sat forgotten in the attic from 1969 till I found them. If I remember correctly I sold them for $500 each. The guy also had a drawer in his desk with Roadrunner antenna balls and lots of other dealer promo items.

2. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Here's a picture of me and my sisters from Christmas 1970-1971 I believe.
    Me with my Cox Super Beetle.

I still have the body and chassis.

The engine and wheels are long gone...In true future Hot Rodder fashion...I must have used them in something else!

[​IMG]

3. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

My dad had a Plymouth dealership back then. I remember him bringing me a couple of the Shutdown sets home. My buddies and I destroyed the cars by hacking up the bodies and re-painting them with spray bombs. At some point I'm sure we blew them up with firecrackers or doused them in gasoline and set fire to them.

Wish I was a little wiser when I was a kid!

4. gtxrider

gtxrider

Back in 1966 we got a 4 lane Revell Slot car set. Dad put it together in the cellar before Christmas and we could hear him racing down there but the door was locked and we could not use it until Christmas... It now is in the original box at my brother's house.

Hours of fun for many years!!!

5. Honest Charlie

Honest Charlie
    from Pa.

Where did the pic go?

6. jmh

jmh

Hey 1963.. I have one of those complete in my attic!!! Cool! John

7. mastadon

mastadon

Ahh Sizzlers,that was good times.Hey does anyone remember the X-15,it was pre big wheel,made from steel and had a joy stick for steering.My brother and I used to fight over it,he was older so I lost.:D

8. edweird

edweird

Hot wheels! The wheel shaped carrying case, the supercharger, the loop de loop, all of that stuff.

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I had one of those sets, I seem to remember putting firecrackers in them and lighting them right before they crashed

I remember shooting mine out a ramp I built in my room on the second story, he didn't clear the tree and make it to my neighbors roof, :mad:

me too, I had an entire barrel of orange track,corners etc, those super chargers would sure eat D batteries quick though

I remember the water rockets, mine didn't have a rubber nose though, just hard plastic, they are probably banned today

My sister brought down a bunch of stuff from Atlanta, and by some miracle, one GI joe survived, and he still has his hair. I think some of the others disappeared in the "quicksand" pit i had made over the septic tank
    I would love to see that, I had the gas powered planes too, spin around in circles until you puked or the plane ran out of gas:p
    I remember the silver trees, I still have the phycadelic star that put different colors all over the room

I think the bomb missing explained it, it just blew up when it hit!!:D

lawn darts were awesome, forget the BB gun, a lawn dart would put someones entire face out!! don't forget how many plastic green army men died in the line of duty, melted,burned,blown up, buried, my mom wanted to kill me when i melted an entire platoon on her stove burners, all four burners, and I remember setting up power chargers for hot wheel cars with my cousins and seeing how far the cars would shoot out the windows. don't forget board games, my wife and I play sorry all the time, i found a 1956 set on egay, we have worn out several regular sets, introduced the neighbor kids to it, now they own a set and play it, I also found a cootie set in perfect condition, and they now love cootie. forget video games, well unless it's atari or pong!!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  10. how about a schwinn unicycle? Parents rigged up some overhead ropes in the basement so I could balance myself while learning/riding. When you fell you had three choices: crack the back of your head (backward fall), sprain your wrists or break your nose (foreward fall), or as the seat slipped it re-arranged your nuts. Trick to the damn thing was turning a corner. Once I mastered that, everything else fell into place. Hell, I went to the store for my Mom and even delivered newspapers on it.

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

12. scarylarry

scarylarry

Shows that I AM getting old when the guy is nostalgic for the 70's!! :0

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I was born in 72, the stunt cycle is even in there, wish I still had mine!! it's not like it was yesterday, i can't believe I'm almost 40, my sister and I had a ball going through all this junk and remembering how much trouble we got into. she's only three years younger then me. anyone remember the six million dollar man space capsule? the one where the clear plastic door slid into it? I saw one on an episode of that 70's show, and I wish I still has mine today. the kids with the star wars toys at the beginning of the video, those could have been home movies of my next door neighbor and I, we had all of the star wars stuff.

14. timbo

timbo
    from PA

Very interesting thread!!!! one of my favorites was "Bop-A-Bear". It was a bear that you would shoot with a rubber dart and rifle. Changed directions when you would hit it....
    Tim

15. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

it was a GI joe space capsule, I always thought it was the one from the six million dollar man, see, my mind is going already!! :D [​IMG]

16. codeblu

codeblu

My father recorded all our Christmas mornings from 1960-1979 on 8mm film, I'm amazed to look at all the toys I once had that are now collectibles .

17. I got one of those for christmas back in the day. I used to go off curbs and down stairs (couldnt figure out how to go up). The only thing I couldnt do is idle (rock back and forth in one place). I have a off brand in the attic and can still ride it at 54 years old, just dont do it much, the boys can't take that curved seat.

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Back in the 1950's I got trains . Loved to drop the alum tinsel from the Christmas tree and watch it spark and melt away ! Was also fun putting the army guys on the track and running them over with the train ! It was more fun when I put my sisters dolls on the track and run them over ! then in the 1960's we had the Matchbox cars , played with them a lot and the slot car tracks too . Then I got my first Cox gas powered black Corvette and ran it on the string that came with the car . Then when the string broke , we would chase the car until it crashed into the curb ! Then we would fix the string and do it all over again ! That was the beginning of my hotrods ! Now I have the bigger hotrods and they cost sooooo much more but still a whole lot of fun !

Retro Jim

19. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

My Aunt got one in the eye back when she was a child and has been blind in one eye nearly her entire life! Our family is not rich, so I doubt we were involved in the lawsuit that got them banned. :cool:

I absolutely love these old toy threads.

20. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

Two of my favorites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course, who can forget this:

[​IMG]

There were actually TWO Hop Rods for sale at Hershey a couple of years ago, one completely NOS.

21. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

No, these are too new. When I was a kid, (mid 60's) I was crazy about a 2 Car Set, that had spring loaded front bumpers. The body split into 4 quarter pieces, and the turret was the key that locked it all down connecting with the bumper. I must of been @ 4-5 y/o. Funny thing, I've been a body man/painter for over 25 years now... Still lookin' for that toy.

QUOTE=54 savoy;4708040]hey crazy,this them?[​IMG][/QUOTE]

22. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Man, you can't beat cars that turn into robots...except for Gobots, they smoke donkey pole.

Optimus Prime, for shizzle....

[​IMG]

I love toys so much that I make them now. I'm responsible for a majority of the first 6 Halo lines at McFarlane toys, now I make hot comic book chicks for Sideshow Collectibles:

[​IMG]

23. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

Ah, yes, the Vac-U-Form! I had a later version, and made dozens of little cars with it! Wish I still had it, and I'm pushing 30!

24. HTbomb

HTbomb
    from Florida

Ahhhh Vac-U-Form. What a great toy. Back in the day when if you burned yourself on a toy you blamed yourself. :rolleyes:

25. Tonka,G.I JOE,Matchbox and Hot Wheels.yeah,child of the seventies.
    oh! and of course a Ross Apollo 5 speed bike(with hurst shifter) if that counts as a toy.

26. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Anyone remember The Thingmaker? You poured plastic Goop into little metal forms of spiders and lizards and such, popped them into the "oven" and you had your own, custom-colored creations!

27. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

My parents couldn't afford toys. They used to just cut the ends out off my pockets so I'd have something to play with. Like most old toys, it doesn't get played with much and doesn't work that well.

28. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

[/QUOTE]

Look up ebay for playway crashmobile also Tryplay , sometimes a few weeks go by with no cars .i purchased one large scale for 100.00 mint ,smaller 1/43 size sells for 20.00+ good luck

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMFAO! Hahahahahahahaha!!!

30. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

Hot Wheels, Matchbox cars, Tonka trucks and bull dozers.
    Nylint's cars, trucks and hot rods.
    [​IMG]

Mattel's V-rroom!
    [​IMG]

Model car kits: Revell, MPC, Monogram, Jo-Han, AMT, Eldon.
    Cox control line airplanes.
    Spider bikes with steering wheels. (didn't have one, but wanted one)
    And my little John Deere pedal tractor...that I still have.
    Well...what's left of it...:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.