Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Flathead Rebuild: Part 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 7, 2010.

1. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

well ive got a few motors in my garage, waiting to go into my duece, also a flathead. Now you are gonna tempt me!

2. wow! makes me never want to utter the words crate engine again.

3. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Wow Wish I was there to learn with the best. Best of luck fellas and cant wait for the updates!

4. Ya it looks right at home!!Looks like good times with good friends.I have only one question?I have never met any of them who is who,I have bought club jackets from Kevin & Jillian Silva great folks but never met them.

5. Ryan, that's liv'in the dream.......................

6. that was my first thought when I saw the pictures........

and insane jealousy....

7. NOTCH

NOTCH

Now thats Way cool..

8. Man, looking forward to the updates - this is really great for all of us to have a look at your rebuild. Thanks.

9. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

To complete an adventure like this with good friends is ceretainly enviable. I get excited about going to the local Sonic on Friday nights with my car friends. You must be through the roof for this type of experience.

You are living the dream for all the hoodlums.

10. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I will be following this thread closely, thanks for letting us watch over your shoulder.

11. looking forward to this one!

12. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

THIS is gonna be "righteous"! Can't wait for the rest. DD

13. alchemy

alchemy

I can tell from here what was wrong with your engine. It's painted pink.

Or maybe it was just rebelling against the alternator. :)

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Welcome back to NorCal and good luck on the rebuild. Sounds like it should be a fun week.

X2 on fixing that glass though. Hard to believe you roll with it like that as a daily and can get away with it with the highway patrol. That car looks too damn sweet otherwise. But, I'm sure you have your plans in order one way or another.

15. octobeak

octobeak

I love that car, keep up the good work!

16. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Aw, c'mon, man, give 'im a break! You know that red fades to pink when it gets hot, and anybody that drives an old Ford knows that the best modification one can make for drivability/reliability is to add an alternator. Looks ain't ever'thang.
    Fearless

17. bobscogin

bobscogin

Make sure you get a lesson in fitting floating rod bearings. You ain't a real flathead mechanic until you've mastered that.

Bob

18. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't drop those 97's.... You might void the warranty! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  19. mgbtc

mgbtc

Sounds like a good week. If you have time, take Saturday off and come to the Mooneyes Christmas Show at Irwindale Raceway, you'll like it too much!

20. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

I was lucky enough to have built a full house 59ab to drive to high school in the 50's, but cought bow tie fever (never to be cured). Damn i wish i had that flat head and a good supply of transmissions now (3 years, 8 transmissions :eek: along with 2 or 3 rears). I have no idea what was so hard on gears :rolleyes: . Have a great time guys, i sure did.

21. Yeah, that thing definitely looks like it was born there. I'm interested to follow the engine rebuild as I want to do the same with my Merc. What a learning experience for everyone! I can't wait for the next installment.

22. saints

saints

I would give my left arm for mr tardel to walk me through a rebuild of a flathead and to be able to watch the man work.......that is on my bucket list

23. S.F.

S.F.

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan, you have got it made! I am sure it will run like a scalded ape when you are done...

25. Kettleman

Kettleman

Always been a GM fan, but starting to get the vibe for the Flathead! :eek: Keep us up to date and thanks Ryan

26. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

My buddy lives down the road a couple of miles from "The Ranch". Vern has always stopped what he was doing to help with a problem or project that Fred is working on. Having been to the ranch a number of times I can imagine the fun you guys are having.

27. Old Fart 1941

Old Fart 1941
    from Oswego IL

Wow flathead camp.Thanks for leting us watch.

28. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Nice, keep the updates coming, I am going to need this one day soon when the flatheads in the car and the ones on the side of the garage get called to duty.

Is the one valve that is still in the block the problem and reason for the rebuild and new cam? I counted 16 lifters and saw the valve in the block in one of the pictures. What do need to do to get it out?

29. Is that ISKY a 400Jr? Great Cam in a flathead.

30. Spooky

Spooky

Who's Ryan and what's this about a flathead??