Register now to get rid of these ads!

New class for Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Warner, Dec 4, 2010.

1. badshifter

badshifter

I doubt it will happen, but if it did, no repop glass bodies. Sort of defeats the intent of the class before it's even a class.

2. That's true.. that's true!

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Too many classes already in my opinion. Why not just give everyone a timing slip that has "NEW CLASS RECORD" permanently printed on the top. That way nobody has to work for it.

4. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Dan, I am running a late model inline (65 292 Chevy) so I don't fit into the Vintage class either.

5. such a cool idea! i hope it goes through

6. You might want to limit the engines to .060 over stock displacement instead of the B-D requirement... as the first thing I thought of was a small journal 327 with a stroker crank to punch that (same as a 350) bore motor out to a 350 or e-gads a 377!!

Just playing devil's advocate... but unless you go back to pre 1955... them's 350s is gonna get in there!

BTW, the quickest way to fix the problem would be to exclude the SBC all together.

But then the cost of the class just went up... a bunch.

Sam

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Vega

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That is my thought with the single rocker shaft OEM iron head rule. No Hemis. No SBCs. Or other stud mounted rockers. To bad about the 348s and Pontiacs along with 289 Fords. But nothing is perfect.

9. plan9

plan9

10-4

10. Mr.Nitty Notty

Mr.Nitty Notty
    from new york

Think this is a good idea to get more vintage engines out there running. Agree with the single rocker arm rule as it would be good to see y-blocks , oldsmobile , chrysler polys etc. running flat out. :D

11. I'd add "registered, licensed and insured" to this list- if it were up to me.

12. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

I'm planning on driving my Hudson down from BC in 2012 and trying for the 130mph club and if it all goes well, drive it home too! Wouldn't that be the easiest thing to do instead of making another class? Thats the only way I will ever be able afford to run my hot rod on the salt. I don't want to wait too long to do it because by the look of some of the pics the line up's and wait times are getting pretty long! Here's a link to the 130 club, pretty straight forward and simple rules.
    http://www.saltflats.com/I30 Club.html

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  13. Reverborama

Reverborama
    from Minnesota

You say that like it is a bad thing!

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I would love to build one of my cars to drive but why is the cut off year 1940 ?
    Why not 1955 or 1960 ?
    The reason I ask is I have a 49 , 50 55 Fords . But with the body year cut off at 1940 then why should the engine year be so much later up into the late 1960's ?
    I mean here on the HAMB at least the cut off covers a lot of cars & trucks you can still find and buy cheap to build /. But with the 1940 cut off you are looking at some more costly cars & trucks to find and build . That is leaving out a huge amount of Traditional hotrod guys & gals with their true hotrods where many have traditional engines and drive trains as well . When the engines are cut off in the Muscle cars years it really is easy to get some very stout engines with higher HP . I think it needs to be more fair to many of us with traditional hotrods& kustoms so we can also have fun competing !

Retro Jim

15. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Model A's are still pretty cheap, Studebakers have an unfair advantage in the stock body classes, aerodynamically speaking.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The cut off propossed is 1948 not 1940. There has been a long thread about this on Landracing.com. http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,8983.0.html

17. I just read the thread on landracing.com, sure is division and even some animosity from some racers.

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Thats normal. Most people are against something they don't understand. Older people (read most SCTA) are always leery of change. But I think it's generally going positively.

19. I think the class would garner good "seed stock" for future racers. Lots of guys would get hooked and work into a race specific car.

20. ROLLING BONES 1A

ROLLING BONES 1A

I was going to stay out of this because Keith is my partner and I figured there would be cries of bias . Several years ago we built my flathead powered roadster drove it to Bonneville , raced it and drove it home . Every year we manage to go a little faster and while not any threat to a record because we run a flathead we at least have a class that we can feel like we are a part of . For many racing on the same salt as those who started this thing is just as important as going fast . Isn't that a big part of what vintage classes are all about . You know that just a soon as those in the past could stuff an overhead under their hood in their quest for speed they did . Adding a class to honor the early overheads seems way over due . Tradition and Bonneville go hand in hand . It's not always how fast you go - sometimes it's how you go fast .

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You guys can't stay out of it. It's your idea. And a good one. You at least get to run with other flatheads. Some very dedicated to LSR. My Packard is built with all late 50s stuff and I run against serious racers. Well not really. I run with serious racers,.

22. It is a good idea. I just wanna run my 265.

23. firingorder1

firingorder1

All records are open until someone runs on them. Cherry picking? Perhaps, but someone has to be the first to run on an open record. And if somone leaves the salt with a soft record you can always go back next year and pound it.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

What would be the body modification rules? Chop, channel, nose cone or stock grille shell, shaved handles and hinges?

25. Choptop

Choptop

un-altered body panels, no chops, sections, smoothing shaving ect.

no channeling.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

So anything that would fit inside an American Bantam would be OK?:)

27. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Well, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. We are running in two classes next year, with open records at Bonneville- XXO/BVGCC, and XXO/BVGALT.

These are not new classes, and at El Mirage, the records are 184.956 mph(1992), and 184.117(1993), respectfully.

Even though the records are open, we are not taking a sub-par engine with us. 15k in the engine, and still building. I think that reality is, as the challenge is available to a racer, he'll try to do his best to rise to the occasion.

This class may start out as a few guys driving their car to Bonneville, but you can bet that it won't be long before the 'street' car is hardly recognizable as such! JMHO

28. Thanks a lot Dan... Are we gonna get another course so we'll be able to get to run at least once? lol

29. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

First of all,let me says thanks to Dan Warner for giving my idea some thought.
    But what I am looking for is a class to run a my car in,where I can be competitive. My car is a 32 ford 3 window coupe,with a "hard chop",powered by a 57 312 Y-Block. If you look in the current rule book & study the class's,there is none.You have vintage coupe,but not for this engine (early OHV).The classic only allow's 3" beauty chop.Then you go to comp coupe which the record is 260. No I'm not looking for a open, or soft record.I am also not looking for the class to be meant for" street stock" competitors. I plan on building an all out Y-block. If there is ever such a class you can bet it will generate some intrest. For 2011 I will run my car in the GCC class,or for TO,but at least I will be there doing it.
    And for all you guys who think there are too many cars there now,what would you do if there were none? The way I see it with the 3rd course,it seems like Big Dean is looking for cars by mid-week,so thats not even a concern.And oh yea I guess this is my introduction,HI I am Keith Cornell from the Rolling Bones Hot Rod Shop. LIke Bill Taylor says see that pedal down there>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice intro, yours is the faster Rolling Bones Coupe, correct?:)