Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who is Gayland Hill?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod56cars, Dec 6, 2010.

1. They mention the Whittier Boys in teh HRM story.

2. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

T-Man that article ruined my life!! I pull it out and read it every once in awhile and I feel like I am 15-16 all over again!
    Jimmy

3. Dude, I am 15 again tonight! Read many of those articals including Scott Sullivans Cheez Wiz 55 cross country trek.

4. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

I think it's cool as hell that whoever does a internet search on Gayland Hill in the future will get a better look at who Gayland Hill was as a person instead of just a time slip and a honorable mention in a racer's that are gone list.

The valve covers fit a BBC. Each cover has a tall breather in the center and no oil fill. I need to get that Hot Rod mag. :)

Reading the discussion between you guys reminded me of talking to my father about his good ole days in central California!

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. PM me tonight, I may have a double of that issue

6. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

I think its cool as well, I have known who he was for a long time, and knew he was a bad ass racer, street racer, engine builder, I would rather he was remembered for that then people making fun of his name, or gay people etc. I guess I just have respect for someones accomplishments regardless of their name. RIP Gayland Hill!!
    Jimmy White

7. heavyhitter 57

heavyhitter 57

gayland hill ran a corvette with a 377 stroker motor and a 4 speed on fuel usually at least 40% it ran mid 9,s at 140 back in 1966 he sold the vette and went into buildind boats and then built turbocharged motors and yes he was a no nonsence guy that valve cover looks like 1 of his rat motor deals he just passed recently i hear and no he wasnt gay ty

8. Boat_jockey

Boat_jockey
    from California

My dad and Gayland were good friends. I worked for Gayland in the late 70's in the shop in Bellflower Ca. while in high school, I knew his sons and daughters. Gayland was one of the good guy's and is truley missed. Him and his sons taught me a lot about working on engines and boats. He closed the shop in the mid 80's and moved to Havasu Az. and opened a shop there untill he moved back to Ca. and then I lost track of him. Then I heard through a mutual friend that he had passed away.

9. pokesmot

pokesmot
    from Las Vegas

Thats my uncle and the henry j. All 4 of those cars were the baddest street machines at the time. Too bad they arent around like that anymore. Very cool to see someone remembers this issue of Hot Rod.

10. ethelkilledfred

ethelkilledfred
    from So Cal

Gayland Hill Sr. passed away, Gayland Hill Jr. was who was mentioned as the whittier boys from the mag aricle.

Boyd's car. Most feared drove everywhere and ran 10's
    [​IMG]

Mikey D's in Lakewood, one of the oldest still standing McDonalds
    [​IMG]

Big Bills and Gayland Hill Jr's low 9's Anglia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kirk Koones 9 sec T-bird and Big D's Henry J
    [​IMG]

Peterson's crazy Chevette
    [​IMG]

Mark Washington and Ed's LUV truck
    [​IMG]

11. whitten1957

whitten1957

big bill morehead andgayland hill jr bill also builds drage bikes

12. After seeing the post of the magazine, I can say I remember that issue (certainly don't have it any more) ... for some reason I seem to recall that Anglia having a solid rear suspension. (from Canada here, only "memory" regarding this car would be from info from the article). Wonder if I'm correct.

13. CodeRed

CodeRed
    from Spokane WA

A lot of old memories here. I met Gayland Hill Jr. when he worked with Fabin at Speed Unlimited in Santa Fe Springs. After a fall out Jr and Roland Hill went to work at Franks Automotive in Buena Park, about the same time Gayland Sr. open a machine shop inside Franks. I believe this was when he came back from Az.

The Hill Boys could build a motor that is for sure. I drove a Mustang that started out as a in line 6 250. I was hanging around Franks cleaning the garage and learning from the old timers just about every day. Right before I swapped out for a 302 and as soon as it was ready to put in the car, Sr. told me to bring him the 302 motor. I was so young I do not even remember what he did to that motor. I just remember him taking everything a part after I had just buttoned it up and calling it my new stroker motor. I was getting worried I would never get my motor back as months went by. I became ill and was laid up for over a week so I quit hanging around Franks with the guys.

Out of the blue that old man called me one day and told me to get to the shop. Jimmy (owner of Franks) and Sr were standing there next to the engine ready to install it. The swapped out my motor in about an hour and half. Changed the rear wheels to "burnies" as Jimmy called them. They fired that car up and ran it down the street with open headers and it was a screamer! Shortly after the owner of the property that Franks was on passed away and Franks was no more. A few years later Sr. passed away (mid 90's I think).

After I joined the Navy I lost track of everyone. Tonight I was looking at building another motor and had to google Gayland Hill Jr.

Wish I could find him even if it is to sit back and shoot the breeze.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    volvobrynk likes this.
  14. GH1SoCal

GH1SoCal

My father and I designed the valve covers.There were over 2000 in circulation at one time.

15. GH1SoCal

GH1SoCal

My father passed away dec.2000

Boat_jockey likes this.
  16. GH1SoCal

GH1SoCal

Who is your dad? This is Gayland Hill Jr.

Boat_jockey likes this.
  17. deb hill silva

deb hill silva

My daddy
    Gayland Hill Sr.
    Woulda been 74 tomorrow jan 14
    Yes a bad ass and amazing daddy. Gayland Jr still dabbles in the fast cars. Miss him still he passed 2001. Heart attack. Taught me "speed is good". He was only 18 years older than me. I used to be on his shoulders as a little girl running from the cops at street races. Awesome.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Thanks for sharing Hill family! Do you have any pictures to share along with your words?

Bob

19. deb hill silva

deb hill silva

I have hardly any of race days....Still trying to find some through old friends. I do however have lots of pictures of him....

Boat_jockey likes this.
  20. 73tunnelramvette

73tunnelramvette
    from East Texas

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. bugnbox

bugnbox
    from So Cal

I recently came across a Gayland Hill Racing Engines jacket in a stash of old hot rod parts out near Sierra Madre. The address of the shop was on Alondra in Bellflower. Any idea when this would have been done? Its a baby blue color... pretty nice shape too.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Nice to finally meet the rest of the Hill family. Mike Kuhl praised Gayland's inventive tactics in the '70s, talked with him more than a few times.
    Sorry to hear that he passed.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. bugnbox

bugnbox
    from So Cal

24. bugnbox

bugnbox
    from So Cal

25. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Wow, I just read this whole thread. It's amazing that what started with a valve cover and a couple jokes turned into an amazing story of a legend only to be capped off with his family chiming in. I'm sad to hear he's gone and had never heard of him 15 minutes ago.

wraymen, volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. I remember when Forest Grove, OR had a Gay '90s festival, barber shop quartets and straw hats ( which are kind of gay when you get right down to it). It is no longer called the Gay '90s festival.

But that the same time as I remember that there was also a clothing store in Portland, OR called The gay Blade. it did cater to men of a gentler persuasion.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  27. Beaner the term Gay 90's originally referred to the 1890's and was more of what we today would call "dandies".

28. I know that but unfortunately as a rule millennials don't. Once we stated dumming down our education we had to become a more politically correct nation. Political correctness is just the modern day version of a fence law.

29. x2

30. jim90650

jim90650

Gayland, think we went to school together, Cresson elementary in Norwalk used to hang with Gary Young.
    Jim Lafon