Register now to get rid of these ads!

The best Penetrating Oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead 34, Dec 6, 2010.

1. I was reading a copy of Machinists Workshop magazine and they did a comparison test of several products used to loosen stubborn, rusted lock fasters. They arranged a test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a bolt in a rusted enviroment. This is what they found.

Prnetrating oil used Torqe to remove nut
    None 516 pounds
    WD-40 238 pounds
    PB Blaster 214 pounds
    Liquid Wrench 127 pounds
    Kano Krol 106 Pounds
    ATF-Acetone Mix 53 Pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix as you know is a home brew mixed 50-50.

2. Wow I've gotta try that ATF-Acetone mix. It blows the others away.Probably be a lot cheaper too.

3. FC49

FC49

I can attest to the ATF/Acetone mix being the best. One caution: I made the mistake of soaking a motorcycle brake cable in the stuff trying to free it up, and the acetone dissolved the vinyl covering. Be careful with it.

But it does work wonders on rusted parts.

Frank C.

4. Eight433

Eight433

wow! The best I've found has been Sea Foam Deep Creep, but that shit's like 8 bucks a can! I'll have to try the ATF Acetone mix as well! I think you can get a compressed air refillable spray can at horrible freight pretty cheaply to apply it with.

5. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Very good info. I'm just starting disassembly of a 1940 car and 1955 motor. I don't think either has ever been apart so I will certainly be trying the ATF-Acetone mix.
    Thanks!
    Mr. Bill

6. kisam

kisam

The ATF/Acetone stuff really works! I snapped both thermostat housing bolts off into a 28 Chevy head. There was just enough bolt sticking out to weld a washer and a nut on the end. I let it cool for about 10 minutes and then added the AA mix and let it set another 30 minutes - both bolts came right out.

7. You can't forget good ol' 'Gibbs'. As a collector of antique (pre WW2) outboard motors, I have freed up some seriously stuck engines with 'Gibbs'! I am going to try the acetone-ATF mix though.

8. Gator

Gator

Thanks for the useful info!

Woulda helped last week removing the hinges from my '50 Ford - after soaking them in PB blaster for 3 consecutive days and using an impact driver I ended up drilling them out.

Eight433, and old fashioned metal oil can might be good too, you cans till find them at your local auto parts store.

I'll try this next time I have a stuck/rusted bolt.

9. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

i use the atf/acetone mix in the salvage yard. we love the stuff

10. robleticia

robleticia

I'm gonna try the mix, however "Gibbs" is the SHIT!

11. big bad john

big bad john

.......Thanks for the thread..........I'll try it on 1937 door posts......hope it saves me a lot of time.....

12. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

Alcohol, tobacco, firearms and acetone! That kinda stuff gets me all loosey goosey as well:D

Great tip I will be trying that for sure!

13. refried confusion

refried confusion

_____

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've used and loved Kroil for years, but sounds like I better try the mix too!

15. i tried the acetone mix before and didn't get good results maybe i didn't mix it right...

16. ganga

ganga

what are the portions....50/50 ??

17. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

i'd second this, hard to believe that atf and acetone would be leaps and bounds better than Kroil, ok cheaper maybe,

18. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Long before this info started circulating around the internet I had used oil solvent in a pinch. If the ATF & solvent works in your case than it was goods enough, but don't expect it to outperform the best penetrating oils. If you read the entire article that goes with those results you will see the test wasn't actually done on rusted/frozen bolts.

19. hellcat666

hellcat666

Wish they had done that test with some zep 45, i find that stuff blows PB and pretty much anythign else outa the water. The can has a mix ball in it ITS GOTA BE GOOD haha. should give the mix a try though

20. I Drag

I Drag

I'm with CutawayAl on this...think about this "test" for a second guys:

How could anyone set up a bunch of fasteners and then "rust" them all to the EXACT same tightness? Since so many factors affect fastener tightness due to corrosion, it would be pretty hard to prove that all the fasteners were the EXACT same tightness before trying to remove them. So how EXACT can the results be?

I am still going to try A/A mix, just with a little healthy skepticism

21. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

I had found motorcycle chain oil at Harbor freight by liquid wrench worked great, better than PB , was cheap too but price just went up with new fancy can : (

22. Best I have found so far, is Seafoams "Deep Creep"
    I also like "LMT" Lawn Mower Tune-up, its like spray Marvel oil.

I plan to try this ATF mix......
    If it works good enough for Flat-top Bob, Its good enough for me! ;)

23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

believe it or not, toyota brand penetrating oil is amazing. it works the best of any i've ever seen or tried.

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

25. das858

das858

Kroil is the best I've ever used, with the price of ATF these days it might not be much difference in price.

26. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I use the mix but the 1st oil can I bought had a rubber hose for the top. the stuff ate the rubber. The second and more expensive can has a metal hose and has lasted over an year.

And it work great, I also use the Kano stuff which works almost as good.

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

After reaching 66 years old I've tried EVERYTHING on the market. when I heard/read about Gibbs Brand my first thought was "another snake oil" product and an expensive one at that. After reading the testimonial on Roadsters.com and hearing Cole sing it's praises I thought "can't hurt to try". I'll never use anything else. When the advice and directions are followed I challenge anyone to tell me about something better. BTW, after my first can I bought a case.

Frank

28. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

In my experience, strawberry margaritas result in the best penetration with least effort.

What? Too soon?

29. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Zep used to have some that worked good.

30. robleticia

robleticia

hahahahaha! 53 sled, funny, but very true!