Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for 1948 Tucker photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tucker Fan 48, Nov 26, 2010.

1. FC49

FC49

The flyer itself, without the Tucker relate, is fun to read. How about their deal for a complete rebuild of a Chevy stovebolt for $89.50, parts and labor, including valve job.

I couldn't scan that whole flyer, so here's the bottom 1/3 which is hilarious:

[​IMG]

2. FC49

FC49

Any info on driver's and/or passengers' fate in the East Aurora 1948 crash? The way it slid off-road is interesting, because it was "conventional wisdom" that a tail-heavy rear-motor car generally swung around and left the pavement ass-first, like an older 911, or a Corvair. Must be the Tucker was better balanced than the "experts" and critics told us.

Frank C.

3. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Tucker #1033 is owned by the operator of the Loudon NH Speedway where the Nascar races are held. The car is shown annually in Paris Hill ME on Founders Day.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

The driver and passenger walked away without a scratch. The story is they tried to make the turn at a rate rate of speed on a very wet road. The car hit the tree right behind the front seat.

The tree also survived and is still there

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• tree.jpg
      tree.jpg
      File size:
      78.4 KB
      Views:
  5. It's funny, I've never really been a huge fan of the Tuckers. I mean, I've always known about them, and seen the movie, etc.

BUT, I realized after reading through this thread that I've actually seen quite a few of them in person.

1007 - The LeMay Museum in Tacoma WA
    1016 - Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn MI
    1019 - San Diego Museum in San Diego CA
    1030 - Peterson Museum in LA
    1039 - Smithsonian in Wash DC (years ago when I was a kid)
    1047 - Gilmore Museum in MI

That's pretty good for a guy who's never actually made a point of seeking them out. ha ha.

6. jpm49c

jpm49c

I went to High School with Preston Tucker the III. Grandson of Preston Tucker. I saw him wrap a bucket T around his moms clothes line after he went thru a block wall. He was showing us a burn out!!!! . As far as i know he still lives less than 1/4 mile from me. Haven't seen him in a while. He is the second down on the left. John

Attached Files:

• drag.jpg
      drag.jpg
      File size:
      362.4 KB
      Views:
  7. With all the info given here, it must make the Tucker the least stolen car in the world ;)
    because non are missing by theft.
    One of the best threads on the HAMB at the moment and not even a hotrod or kustom.:cool:

8. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I don't remember where this picture came from - I just like it because a lot of people ask me if my Ford is a Tucker because of the center headlight. I have seen a Tucker green I think in the Stone Mountain Georiga Museum several times in the '80s. An hollywood actor from the 40- 50s owned all the contents in the museum. Is it accounted for?

Attached Files:

• #8.jpg
      #8.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
    • 50abc.jpg
      50abc.jpg
      File size:
      198.6 KB
      Views:
  9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

TuckerFan48 has done a great job of giving info back to posters. Great to see the interest and input. Remember, he's looking for previously unpublished pix, documents, remembered anecdotes, etc. Keep digging, please! But don't hestiate to post stuff just 'cause you think it may be already or record. Better to repeat than to miss a previously unheard-of tid bit! Great thread!

10. tex1935

tex1935

A gentleman by the name of Bev Fereria of San Francisco owed a tan colored Tucker. He has passed on. You might be able to make with someone if you contact nor cal packard club. He was a longtime member. Steve

11. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Bev owned Tucker #1041 which is probably the most drivable Tucker today. Personally I'd stick the key in it and drive it anywhere. It was a rock solid car that Bev made several minor mechanical improvements to. It is also the most protographed Tucker of the 50 built as Bev made it available to anyone that wanted a snap of it. He was very proud of the car. It also stands out as the lite yellow was not a factory color but shows off the lines perfectly. It is one of my 5 favorite Tuckers.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. FC49

FC49

I met Bev and his wife at the Ann Arbor Tucker club meet. What a delightful couple! In fact, everyone there was great, especially the owners who brought their cars. Must be owning (and driving) one makes you a better person, same as a Harley.

Frank C.

13. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Greg asked me about a Tucker Dealer in Billings Montana. I'm going to post up some information I found for him here. Many cities have simular ads that were ran in their local papers. You might do an online search for your local
    Tucker Dealer. Remember most were only in business from March or April of 1948 through the end of 1948. Many car previews were in June, July, August of 1948. There is some pretty cool stuff for Greg's town here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

You'll notice the tail of the Budd RB-1 Conestoga aircraft owned by The Tucker Corporation in the picture above in Billings. It was one of three prototypes built by Budd. The aircraft number was NC45354. Budd built about 17 production models of this aircraft as well. This one, NC45354 was last seen in Oakland CA. If anyone knows its whereabouts please post it up as well.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  15. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Great stuff, thanks for posting this. Should make for some interesting conversations at our car club Christmas party today.

16. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Attached Files:

17. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

From the Carroll paper
    It appears the Tucker dealer in Des Moines had a traveling baseball team? The second clipping was in the sports section.

Attached Files:

18. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Is George Heldt and sons from Harwarden Iowa on your list?
    They evidently even had one for viewing on July 23, 25 and 26th 1948 in Sioux City

Attached Files:

19. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Western Tucker sales in Sioux Falls SD. at 115 North Dakota.
    Full size is hard to read so the second is a close up of the bottom

Attached Files:

20. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

St Petersberg Times September 12, 1951 article ( I cut it in three pieces so it could be read)

Attached Files:

21. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

A member of the Des Moines Cubs was to win a Tucker

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

22. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

23. This is a great thread, I'm glad this was started. Keeping this kind of history going is what I really like about the HAMB and everyone here.

24. FC49

FC49

Do you have any info on the Tucker dealer in Rochester, NY? I'm fairly sure they were located on East Avenue, and I'd like to get a photo of the building as it looks today, assuming it's still there.

Frank C.

25. FC49

FC49

Someone asked about Tucker dealers outside the US, and here's what I found in my April, 1948 Tucker Topics: Tucker Export was at 39 Pearl Street in Manhattan, and Tucker franchises had been sold in 30 countries so far. Argentina, Belgium, Trinidad, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Cyprus, Egypt, El Salvador, Morocco, Greece, Guatemala, Iran, Lebanon, Italy, Mexico, Curacao, Peru, Portugal, India, Switzerland, Palestine, S. Africa, Uruguay, Venezuela, Turkey, Phillippines, Panama and Siam (Thailand).

Frank C.

26. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

A friend of mine just happened to send me some info about a '48 Tucker last year. Here is a link to the info. I hope this helps. Just click Tucker. It happens to be the same one on the Collectible Automobile mag.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  27. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

There were 4 Tucker dealers in Rochester NY

Rochester Tucker, 360 East Ave
    Hughes & Solone, 4 Alexander St
    Ridge Tucker, 1301 Ridge Road East
    Quinn Motors, 4560 Lake Avenue

28. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

It probably explains why most of the countries on that list don't like us today.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

29. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

Great thread and great sense of humor Tucker Fan 48 !

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I found this of interest. Fiberglas parts
    made for the Tucker movie, shown on a
    site called White Glove Collection. This
    is current, if somebody wants to look it
    up.