Register now to get rid of these ads!

vehicle owners do some very strange things..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950coronet600hp, Dec 4, 2010.

1. OK so there is this 65 Chevy c10 327 4 speed sitting rotting away in the lot next to me.. A quick look in the vehicle says it was last registered in 1985.. been sitting abandoned in that lot for as long as any one can remember.. used to be sitting next to an unused single wide.. the owners decide to move the single wide but leave the truck to rot away all alone. I want it.. so I track down the owners parents. finally get a message back that the guy doesn't want to sell it. maybe he wants his grand kids to inherit a box of rust that used to be a 65 Chevy c10...... I just don't get it... but the owner has one good thing going for that truck.. its right next to our lot and I will make sure that rust is the only thing that's going to happen to it.. thankfully for now the neighborhood kids haven't trashed it. oh well...

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

3. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Sounds like you are the care taker of the neglected, give them your number and a price you would pay for it, then call the city and report it. Sure I sound like a bad person, but why should you have to look at it teasing you forever? This way it can be either gone or yours and saves you the grief of fighting the kids over it's glass. Why should you get to watch it rust, break your heart, that's not right.

4. Just bug the guy about it ever 6-8 months or so...maybe some day you'll break him

5. squirrel

squirrel

report it? As far as I know there isn't any law in AZ that says you can't keep a vehicle on your property.

6. sawzall

sawzall

there's a guy near me with a late 80's - early 90's chevrolet corvette that has sat outside his garage (in the driveway) for the last 10+ years..

most days his garage door is OPEN and you can see that it is FULL of what appears to be firewood?
    additionally until about a month, the same guy had a chevy camaro in the side yard on a car trailer.. (again for the last 10 + years)
    days after the camaro and trailer disappeared a new (YES NEW) ford mustang showed up.. and YES you guessed it.. he parked next to the vette..

I have Absolutely no interest in either of his cars, but I have no idea why someone would buy something like a vette or mustang and let it sit out in the snow, rain, sun sleet and other crap we have here in pa..

people

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Recently, I went to a yard sale advertising car parts. The parts were late 40's Mopar which I had no use for but in the garage was an incredible unmolested black 34 Ford 5 window coupe. I asked the owner who had to be at least 85 years old if he'd be interested in selling it. He replied " no, some day I'm going to fix it up". Yeah, right. He'll never touch the car. What a waste of machinery.

8. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Why do you guys think there are "barn finds" and "garage finds", etc. out there still? Because the owners of those coveted cars "didn't want to sell them" back in the day. Don't hate, be thankful they don't send them to the crusher. These trucks will be tomorrow's "finds".

9. It seems that people always have plans to "Fix it up someday".It's easy to dream but as most of us know it's not so easy to do.Someday is always tomorrow.

10. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Back in 92 I worked in south Fort Worth and drove by a small car lot daily. There was a brand new Chevy truck parked next to the building. It never moved. And is still sitting there right now. It has never moved.

11. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

shouldnt be too hard to find a 65 chev truck , and cheap, I see them in my area on craigslist all the time, to the extent that it is frustrating that I don't have the $$ to buy them all! lol
    for example there is a " drive it home " 63 on spoko cl right now for $700, and there was a "I want to get it out of here because it smells like cat piss" 61 283 on the mt cl for $400.

I check the phoenix cl every now and then to see whats out there -I assume that most arizona trucks are pretty dry compared to the ones up north- and even there, they are a little more expensive, most were in the $1500 + range,there are quite a few available.

here is my list of " not for sale I'm gonna fix it up some day"
    57 chev b/a 2 door sedan
    51 chev 2 door hardtop
    56 chev delray 2 door sedan
    50 chev convertible
    59 chev 4 door sedan 348
    65 chev truck
    63 gmc truck
    70 camaro 350 4spd car (my high school car)
    81 pontiac turbo TA

quite a list , I probably will never have the time or funds to build them all, but I want to keep them.
    I have OCD I think.-haha

12. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

yea you should report him for storing an old car on his property because he doesn't want to sell it, all i can say is i'm glad you don't live next to me....

as far as the truck goes, there can be a huge list of reasons why people don't want to sell something, best plan is to check in every now and then and see if those reasons change. but we are talking about a 65 chevy truck, not exactly a rare find maybe just find one that is for sale?

13. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Most counties/cities have Code Compliance that does indeedy have such things.....Phoenix Arizona:

4. Properties in the Immediate Area which are an Obvious Detriment or
    Blight
    When an initial inspection is conducted, based on a complaint, the inspector may:
    a. Expand upon the initial complaint on the same property and determine
    whether violations exist on the following items identified by City Council:
    • Overheight weeds/grass or dead/dry bushes, trees, weeds and/or other
    vegetation
    • Inoperable vehicles
    • Junk, litter and/or debris
    • Open/vacant buildings and structures
    • Outside storage
    • Fences in disrepair
    • Vehicles parked on non-dustproofed surfaces or in non-permitted areas of
    residential front or side yards
    • Graffiti

http://phoenix.gov/NSD/code.pdf

It's considered a BLIGHT and therefore illegal. Crappy I know, PERSONALLY, but it happens and a LOT! Flat tires on my car in the drive way, BAM, I've been cited. Chipping paint? BAM! Cited again. Fun huh?:cool:

14. 62rebel

62rebel

tell ya what; if i figured out that a guy who was buggin me to sell him my car had reported it to the city.... and i had no other recourse than to have it junked or sell it to him? i'd take a fucking axe to the car and let the city scrap it.

forget about the damn thing. dwelling on it is a mistake.

15. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Hahahaha, me too! Generally they give you a chance to "fix" the "blight" like covering it with a car cover...which still sucks. I have a neighbor lady who hated my 55 Star Chief sitting in MY PAVED driveway, so she called every month.

Eventually, I called CHP about her boat sitting on the street for more than 3 days.:D

16. 69fury

69fury

In Lawrence, KS any vehicle in sight must be operable and CURRENTLY TAGGED. I had the Falcon behind the house in the little (paved) area between the back door and the garage ten foot away. The nose of the car was just barely visible and i got a fix-it warning for having an unregistered vehicle.

I asked the inspector.... Not allowed to use the old method of keeping them in a back yard fenced in either- but there's a catch 22- anyone reporting you would by default be guilty of trespassing.

No Drag cars, boats, four wheelers, ski doos or anything else in the driveway, yard or street. It must be in a covered closed garage.

people are pretty lenient about it unless someone reports it, but if it's visible, it must be operable and tagged.....

rick

17. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Everything is for sale man ya just gotta find the right angle. If they tell me they are gonna restore it the next time I stop by and ask I show up in one that I have restored. Just to show them what I can and will do to their car when I get my hands on it. Works well when you put a human face on it.

18. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Our city code guy is a car guy too. He doesn't say much about worth while antique cars sitting.

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

The suggestion to report the dude is just a low-life move.I am glad I don"t have any neighbors and I dang sure wouldn"t want a tattletale for one either.That is really a sick way to get what you want.

20. Agreed I wouldnt chop it up but that guy would never get it I would license and insure it and move it once a week or put a building over it so he knows its there and he will never buy it. Sometimes folks wont sell because their is something wrong with the title. or their is a lien on the vehicle. There are plenty of projects if you have the cash. wast of time to worry about not for sale ones.

21. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Did you make an offer? Throw out a number and get into their head. I bought something like that from a guy that had something I thought he would never sell. (That was my Dad.)

22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Isn't there a show for people like that? Hoarders?

23. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

offer him 3 times what it's worth if you really want it, I have several things that would take at least 3 times what they are worth to get away from me and I don't plan on working on them for some time. people ask all the time, the 57 chevy truck my wife bought me for my birthday, my brother's first harley, my 3 window, my first harley, my wife's merc, my 67 travco motorhome, ect, ect, ect

my answer for all those things if asked if they are for sale is "did you win the lottery recently?", I got all those things because I wanted them, why the hell would I sell them...

24. k9racer

k9racer

Reporter, snitch,nark, informer, noisey, busybody,rat asshole,and a lot of other bad names. Stick your nose in some bodys private affiars and it might come back and bite you in the ass.. If you want to buy the car find the owner introduce yourself and say I know it does not have a for sale sign on it but I woul like to buy if you ever change your mind. leave a contact no. and build a loose friendship and after a while he might sell/give the auto to you. I have bought many over the years this way. I have also been told to fuck off.. Bobby

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  25. I believe the reason why I would never complain about neglected cars in someones yard would fall under the "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" rule seeing as i have a 50 dodge body half on blocks after the wind blew it over, a 55 chevy van, a camry with front end damage, a half assembled 3 wheeler, a picked apart quad, a quad and motorcycle that need work. yeah I'm a redneck.. lol

26. I don't dwell on it.. its not rare.. its just coolish and i like to give poor neglected vehicles a 2nd chance. or in the case of this truck.. liberate the drivetrain to let it live again in another vehicle.. so yeah.. its probobally car karma.

27. nummie

nummie

first we all complain that there are laws that regulate what we can have on our land, and now we're trying to use those same laws to our advantage? trite hypocritical, maybe? if that truck gets called in and "taken care of" whats next? my stuff? your stuff? let it be, bug the owner, put a price in his head and the next time his daily driver dodge neon blows a head gasket he'll know where to get the cash to fix it!

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

every fucking week some nit-wit comes here to cry about someone who won't sell thier car. why don't you guys start a social group so you can all get together and cry about the car "rotting away" in the owners yard, then the rest of us won't have to hear about it.

in my world there are 2 reasons to sell an old car. you need the space or you need the money. if I had more space and money I would have never sold any of my cars. what a great line up of junk that would be.

I haven't driven my old 61 Dodge for more years than I can count. needs a brake drum and a new battery to be driven again. it is not for sale at any price that a sane person would pay for it. it's my car. don't fucking worry about it and get off my lawn.

29. there is a 50 chevy fastback not far from me been sitting on the driveway uncovered in the same spot for at least 15 years it was avery nice cruiser at one point

it has 55 chevy headlight brows and wide whites
    black w/ wait for it RED rims
    it now has huge spots of surface rust multiplying like rabbits on its roof and quarters

about 2 years ago saw the owner out bringing his garbage cans in stopped and asked if it was for sale he

looked very offended and said HELL no it aint for sale ive owned since the 50's said ive got another one in the garage .....yeah saw the garage door open once about a month prior its a 50 shoebox stripped and primed looked ready for paint the shoebox has since disappeared

the chevy is still sitting there right now its got about 5 inches of snow on it we got an early snow this year one of these days im gonna take a pic of the chevy

30. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I absolutely agree. No matter what the reason, a rat is a rat is a rat.