Register now to get rid of these ads!

My '50 chevy coupe project...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gsport, Mar 29, 2010.

1. BEAR

BEAR

nice........

2. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

nice, when are you going to start the chop?:D

3. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Welcome.. Good looking chevy....Enjoy retirement.

4. That car presents itself well, black and chrome go together like "peaz an' carrutts" :). I just joined the group and have a 49 coupe in build stage. Your car gives me motivation and inspiration. It will be a nice cruiser with the cubes and overdrive. Think about some cherrybombs for sound:cool:.

5. 73super

73super

Interested to see what you do with your rearend.... Hmmmm.. Maybe I should restate that... Your rear suspension setup. What springs, rear are you going to use. How are you going to set it up? ARE you going leafs for a 4 link?

6. gsport

gsport

leafs will be in it.. plans are to get one of those rear suspension kits, i've already got a rear out of a '95 S10 4x4 for it.. perfect width

7. gsport

gsport

hahaha.. chop is cool, but i like the lines of it the way it is.

8. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

You do know to steer that inline 6 to a good home, right? There's folks who revere those things.

9. rustyhood

rustyhood

That is one nice project!

10. gsport

gsport

update... got the engine pulled today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. OldSkoolIronJunkie

OldSkoolIronJunkie

Real nice man, keep us updated.

12. gsport

gsport

another step forward today... i just ordered a mustang II hub to hub front end and a rearend mounting set-up for it.

13. gsport

gsport

i went with a CE bolt in front cross member.. got it in and trimmed off the firewall ribs..... strained my back and havn't done anything else, thank you motrin, i am about ready to go back out to play with it.. it's funny when you retire and slow down how things hurt more...

14. RDR

RDR

Good luck with your great looking coupe and better luck with the old back....been there..lost about 2months cruisin last summer over the back thing, but did make B'ville which almost made up for all the pain and hassle....take care and keep plugging...can't keep us OLD FARTS down ! Randy

15. gsport

gsport

a little bit of an up-date... got all the old drive train out and and a new M2 rack and open driveline rearend installed. still missing some odds and ends that are suppose to be mailed out today to finish the install.. here's some pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. gsport

gsport

a few update pictures... got the engine/trans in, made a removable trans crossmember today.. will clean the engine on final install, if i don't go for a crate motor instead...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. gsport

gsport

i sure have gottin' lazy over the last few months.. i did get the column in and steering linkage.. also finally got the rest of the dash gauges, heater, controls etc. out... with the rack installed per directions i would've had to use three u-joints to connect it to the column.. instead i rotated the column up a couple of degrees (being careful not to change the geometry of the axis of it and now got a straight shot to the column) i gotta get motovated, and get back out there..
    [​IMG]

18. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Nice job,this is gonna be a sweet little ride when your done.

19. sgnova72

sgnova72

Are you happier going with that kit instead of a jag ifs. I have been searching the hamb and alot are leaning toward jag. I am undecided what to do with mine, so far in my area there are not alot of junk xj6's around. What made you choose CE over the other companies. Thanks for the pics and I will be watching for further updates.

20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hard to stay after it sometimes, life gets in the way. I also have a CE IFS. I used it because I had 2 different builders tell me that bolt-on is better than weld-on for these thin hollow frames. Have since had reliable folks tell me that is bunk.

Keep after it, looking good!

Here's where my '51 stands so far:

[​IMG]

21. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Retirement is treating you well! Keep the wheels "Nothin go's better with "BLACK'. But the way your spending money, I would not be suprised to see a Street Rod style paint and modern wheels!

22. gsport

gsport

i went with the CE because of the bolt in cross member and getting all new parts, it was a very easy install... sure wish i'd get motovated again, havn't been out there in a few weeks, which i guess is ok since i'm in no hurry..

23. sgnova72

sgnova72

Thank you both brerhair and gsport. I wouldn't worry about motivation, it will hit you when the time is right.

24. BadLuck

BadLuck

i love coupes! great project, enjoy!

25. gsport

gsport

i had a little motovation hit me this weekend.. finished mounting the steering and got the rack hooked up.. when i rotated the rack and moved it over about 1/4 on an inch i had to get a longer tie rod end for one side.. worked great and didn't have to put 3 u-joints from the column to the rack...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Reversed chromes and baby moons are mighty fine... love the sound of a split 6 tho... Very sharp car. Keep the pictures coming, shame some of us into breaking something so we can build it better!

27. gsport

gsport

lol.... that's what my wife said when i drove it home "can't believe you're going to take apart a perfectly good running car"

28. Domino

Domino

You started with a nice car and it is only getting better.

29. 50 styleline

50 styleline
    BANNED
    from Maryland

You are SO right. The "top hat" box riveted frame is built for a tank. GM rivited it for flex-tying(sic) it to suspension geometry of the car.
    I've spent 45+ years looking up at my 50's frame. Have dropped a B&B roller SS396 into it with power R&P after my B&B 235 beat too many small blocks-sometimes !
    If I can help with any info let me know. LOOKS great !