Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flattening enamel paint with talc - Experience with ratios?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Dec 3, 2010.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I am going oldschool and flattening some paint with talc. Does anybody have any experience with ratios needed (as a baseline)? I have 2 quarts of enamel I need almost dead flat. Now I tried the pro flattening agents from the suppliers and it just made paint thin and changed color. I'm NOT going back there.
    I used the search and talc is mentioned lots but nobody states how much to add.
    Thanks

2. Ancient Rodder

Ancient Rodder

John Deer sells an enamel called Blitz Black. You'l probably have to order it from them on line. It's not expensive, as paint goes, and works dam good for flat black on a street rod. you might just check it out.

3. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Thats fine if you want black.

4. Ancient Rodder

Ancient Rodder

God ment for street rods to be FLAT BLACK.

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Just spray it with flat clear.

6. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I have worked quite a bit with flattened paints. I don't know what kind of flattener you tried, none I have used thin the paint. Flattener normally contains solids. It settles really bad and takes a lot of work to get all the solids re-suspended. If the flattener wasn't thoroughly mixed that could have thinned the paint and produced unsatisfactory results. Either buy the color you want, use flat clear, or buy some good flattening agent and play with it until you get what you want. No matter how you flatten the paint, the amount of flattener needed for a given flatness will vary with the paint used, how the paint is applied, and how quickly the paint drys(temp). Those variables can make a lot of difference, so there is no general answer to your question.

This recent discussion here might be helpful.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532624

7. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

The old sign painters I use to work with used damb near anything .. baking soda, cornstarch... This was for brushing...

I used less than a quarter cup of cornstarch in a full quart and got about 80%...
    If I was trying it on something good I'd say mix a few samples first on something like a 1'x1' panel...

8. The tlac works fine in One Shot enamel when sign painting, but I'd be leary about trying to be consistant enough to spray something as large as a car body, bad news from the start. If you're looking to do it on the cheap, use a flat clear, if you're really cheap use flat clear varathane.

9. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

No, r/r's are flat black. Rods need to be shiny. From what I remember 25% talc will give you medium satin and 50% will give you a full satin. However, remember that the more talc the weaker the paint. IMHO. The gun will be tough to get the flow right as well.

10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Used talc to match a repaired panel on a white Ford with weathered paint(very weathered). Took quite a bit to dull down the finish, but it matched very well.
    We had to experiment, I think you will too!
    Good Luck!

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I have used flattener in regular clear for interior paint. Works really well. Just shoot the same color base you used on the car(if that's what color you want the interior), then apply the clear with flattener, always worked great for me. JMO. Lippy

12. kevron

kevron

i have used awax based flatning agent with good results allso spray your beast with the colour you want then get the green kitchen scourer and ajax powder and heaps of good old elbogreas it wont change the colour give it a couple of waxes and bobs your uncle:)

13. darkk

darkk