Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good retractable droplight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merc-o-madness, Dec 2, 2010.

1. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

Hey guys xmas is coming up and my wife needs some ideas for gifts. I would like to get a good droplight + retractable extension cord, so what do you guys have that tend to last.
    I already went through 2 retractable extension cords and a nice droplight from craftsman in 2 years so would like to have one that would actually last for once

thanks

Jay

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Why not join the 21 century and get a good rechargable cordless drop light.

LED lights will literally run all day without a charge.

3. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

sorry i should've been more specific i would like to get one that also doubles as extension cord...I edited my first post

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I agree ! The battery LED is the ONLY way to go . Plenty of light , lasts a long time , no damn power cord to tangle around your neck and you can even get ones with an adjustable base to set on the floor or the ones with magnets in the bas to attach almost any place ! They come in all kinds of shape and sizes . Just tell her to get a good one from Sears or a place like that . Stay away from the chinese tool shops to buy one !

I am going to replace my old fashion drop lights with the battery LED when the tax money comes around !

Retro Jim

5. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Then buy an extension cord separately ! They do make LED with a 3 prong plug on them , I have one and hate it . The electric cord will always be in your way !
    Get them separate and you will understand why !

Retro Jim

6. YoungGun

YoungGun

On black Friday sears had the LED rechargable shop lights for mor than half off!

Haven't work on anything to really use it yet but I'm always using drop lights.it seems to be a pretty good light..but what happens when it falls? My other drop lights when they fall just need a quick bulb change ..I hope the LEDs are strong and durable

Cb

7. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

Yea the cordless leds do sound nice, i'd like to know your experience with them? I cant imagine plastic if thats what they are made of lasting long

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Pulling heavy amps thru a retractable cord is a great way to kill them.

9. In my area, Ace Hardware is selling Craftsman 32 "bulb" LED rechargeable lights with magnetic base for $19.99. Same price as Sears on black Friday. Sale ends Dec 5 or 6?? Great deal!!

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I like my old retractable drop cord. If you decide to get a retractable make sure that it has the 3 prong grounded socket. The cheap ones only have a 2 prong socket and the wire ga. is smaller. I have used mine as a drop cord for years. It pays to step up and get a good one.

11. Many a good car and garage has burnt to the ground using an old reel type drop light and incandesent bulb. Go with the LED battery powered light and get a separate extension cord.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  12. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

13. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

I got one of those LED drop lights and it did not provide near as much light as the flouresent lamp I have. I don't even bother using it anymore. Just my 2 cents.

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Like MercDueceMan said, those old drop lights with a bulb in them have burned many a shop down. A little gas dripping on a light bulb is all she wrote. Throw that crap in the trash and get a florescent or LED drop light.

15. Yes they are cheap plastic but what isn't now days? (lol). I look at it this way, at 16.99 when they are on sale, you will spend that replacing light bulbs in the old fashion drop lights, if you remain lucky enough not to burn your place down. A fire I cant put out worries about the worse of any clamity I could face while in the shop.

I just counted them up and we have seven of them between my son and I. So far the oldest one we have is about 3 years old and it still works good. They come in really handy when the electricity goes off too.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of the good ones don't have plug ins on them as Osha doesn't approve of drop lights with plug ins. I have to agree on the cordless LED work light. NO burns and no fire hazard under the car. I lay mine across my neck all the time and you sure can't do that with a regular drop light.

I've not been a fan of retractable cords or hoses ever since I had to buy a windshield on a car I was working on when I let the drop light go on it's retractable cord. That ate my pay on that job right then and there.

17. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Can't beat a 70 bulb LED, I have a couple....Left one on the frame of my 3/4 ton for a few weeks once....Talk about being pissed for not being able to find it and the embarrassed when I did find it. Have her get a couple of good extension cords too.

Pat